Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests

Why did everyone become dumb at the end of TEIF?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why did everyone become dumb at the end of TEIF?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
The big follow on questions from this is what didn't the MAN also use freighters to drop off tons of Gtorps, programmed to swim around for weeks prior to attacking instead of using the Sharks on complicated multi month maneuvers? just a handful of freighters, originating from random systems, at random timing could drop more tops of munitions anonymously than 1 squadron of SD(p)s. Grayson would be a harder hit, but not Manticore, with all the system traffic and wormhole traffic.

Which, of course, is exactly how Galton thought Oyster Bay had been pulled off. Freighters dumping (impeller powered) graser-head weapons. (Though quite how Galton thought the target scouting had been done was not addressed; as they're unaware of anything like a Ghost)

The big thing the Spiders brought to the party, as Theemile also said, was all the Cataphract pods they deployed to coast in-system at 0.2c. (Yay, pod-layers).

For whatever reason the MAN didn't fully trust the graser torps effectiveness as they'd never previously been used in combat. So I think every target was redundantly targeted by graser torps and Cataphract pods. Freighters could easily have swum out the graser torps; but they'd have no plausible reason for the kind of course and velocity you'd need to coast in the Cataphract pods - so maybe the MAN didn't want to give up that redundancy and that's why they used the Spiders.

But you're right - given that we now know the graser torps worked you didn't need Spiders to deliver them; they could have been brought in by freighters and could have been sufficient on their own for the OB attacks.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:08 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:They did anticipate the stealth missiles and stop most of them.

munroburton wrote:That's the proof in the pudding isn't it? Grand Fleet lost about 20 capital ships in order to take the only star system fortified more heavily than Manticore's own Binary System. What's more, only one-third of those losses were actually to stealth weapons; the other two-thirds died because they advanced into close range of conventional missiles disguised as civilian cargo.

The GA's losses at Galton only seems "bad" because they've been walking all over the SLN with relative impunity for two years. If you go back to the wars between Haven and Manticore, it's barely a drop in the bucket. EG: White Haven lost about ten wallers in a minor engagement in 1906 which he retreated from. Amos Parnell lost over forty wallers in a major engagement which he also retreated from. Lester Tourville lost nineteen capital ships retreating from Sidemore. Between them, both sides lost around four hundred capital ships at First Manticore.

The static deployment beyond the hyper limit did exactly what it was meant to; it forced the Alignment to throw away its stealth advantages and come into a zone dominated by GA forces, utterly saturated by recon drones with FTL communications. Sun Tzu would be very proud.

We've already seen what happens when someone charges across the hyper limit into a fortified system. Tourville got his ass kicked and Filareta screwed himself so thoroughly he was going to surrender without firing a shot.

That leaves dancing outside the hyper limit and aggressive maneuvering would only create interception/ambush opportunities for the Alignment. As many recon drones as the GA can deploy, the numbers required start growing exponentially when they have to cover an expanding cone ahead of their fleet's base course. It's one of the reasons they moved so slowly into Galton orbit.

Or the final option is the one advocated by Captain Jaruwalski: a massive salvo launched as soon as they were out of hyper. This was ruled out because the GA refused to contemplate civilian casualties on the scale they had suffered. Would it have been better to do it that way?

Assuming they had done that and managed to not hit any civilian targets, what happens next? They eventually come in to Galton orbit, at which point those camouflaged Cataphracts potentially come into play anyway, unless Galton's command structure is so eviscerated that nobody is left to order it.

We know that final strike killed more ships than the first graserhead attack. It's hard to say how it would have worked out if it was the first and only attack Galton made. The GA crews might have reacted more slowly without having endured incoming fire, but they would also have a few more ships providing anti-missile defenses.

If there's a better way to crack a nut like Galton, I don't see it. The same technique should work on Darius if the GA ever finds it. They'll sit out there and force any spiders to sally forth or rot unused in their spider holes as Darius' orbital infrastructure dies to long-range bombardment.

cthia wrote:I love this post. Except that the final paragraph may need some rethinking. Sitting or stooging around in the Darius system will be a no no.

NO LOITERING ALLOWED.

The same tactics will be suicide at Darius. Especially since Darius has seen the tactics. Which is another reason Galton was necessary. I think DW is setting the stage for something big.

And if all of the naysayers are right that the Spiders can't possibly have been hatched this soon, then DW is setting the stage for a heaping helping of arachnophobia. It does seem ironic that the very experienced GA seemed to ignore the possibility that they exist. Or, like my spidery naysayers in the forum, Simoes may have given a timeline for their possible completion.

Loren Pechtel wrote:Microjumps. The fleet sits out there beyond the limit but every so often jumps somewhere else. Every bit of space hardware gets pecked to pieces. Sitting still doesn't make sense against an enemy with stealthy weapons--we already saw the Hasta at Beowulf, the GA knows about it.

cthia wrote:I didn't post that but anyway ...

Microjumping can be just as dangerous. Sooner or later you are going to jump right into a Spider's web.

It also doesn't seem practical. The reason the fleet sits out there is to look over the prey and get bearings. If there is a lot of microjumping, then is there ever time to get bearings on enemy emplacements? I suppose data from drones can be received anywhere one jumps, but it seems jumps still have to be within a certain area to receive data in a timely fashion.

I still think that somehow the MA simply needs to figure out how to destroy the fleet train, then it is game over for the GA. And if the drones are eaten in the Darius system as I suspect they will be, then microjumping like frightened chickens isn't going to amount to much. At any rate, sooner or later there is going to be one jump too many.

BTW, is there nausea after each microjump?

I have pulled in the full conversation to fix the misattribution.

I agree that it would make sense for Darius to have some observation drones set up without the knowledge of anyone on Galton, so that they can analyze what specifically caused the defenses to fail (even though they knew the defenses would fail in general). However we do not know that was the case here.

If the GA comes with enough SD(p) ships then there does not need to be a fleet train from the point of view of weapons. However there will be a fleet train because of the distance involved, since they will not be using the wormholes. It may be parked at some secret rendezvous point rather than continue to Darius. Still I do not believe that destroying the fleet train means game over, it just means a longer intermission before the game resumes.

None of this can happen before the location of Darius is known, which probably means that Mannerheim must be cracked first.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:54 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:But you're right - given that we now know the graser torps worked you didn't need Spiders to deliver them; they could have been brought in by freighters and could have been sufficient on their own for the OB attacks.

The ones used at Galton were carried by Hastas, which were basically mounted on recon drones for the stealth.

However, there are multiple problems with this strategy, especially considering it would be its first field test.

First, the stealth might not be enough. Sure, it's likely that the MAN has better stealth technology than Galton did, but that's coupled with a spider drive. It doesn't necessarily follow that the stealth with an active wedge is sufficient. Plus, that's exactly what sensors in Manticore would be designed to detect and the exact capabilities of those are classified.

Second, we know from Galton that the stealth was compromised by the bow shock at 0.4c. There's very good reason to believe a higher speed would have caused even bigger sensor footprints. So the surprise factor might have failed and caused only pitiful damage. They'd have to decelerate a couple of light-days away from the target to a more reasonable pace, which in turn extends the time they are in the sensor basket of the defenders.

Third, there's the power budget. Without the GA's microfusion bottles, the RDs have very limited range. The Silver Bullets had a loiter time of about 45 days, from textev, before their charge went below minimum levels. We don't know if a spider takes more power or less than a wedge, but if it's less, then an equivalent weapon using a wedge would have less time until it had to fire. Either way, the travel time to Manticore from the insertion point was 38 days, so 45 days dwell time is too close for comfort.

Fourth, if they had used wedges, there's a very good chance that the DD squadron that was sent to investigate would have found them. Yes, the RD vehicle would have had 12 hours to move away and it would have had greater acceleration. But like the first point, this is exactly what the squadron would be looking for.

So I don't think the attack using wedges had as high a chance of success. And if they used autonomous spiders torpedoes, then you introduce an OpSec risk: that of a weapon failing to deploy and getting captured. Without someone around to send an abort & self-destruct code, it might have been too much to accept.

And finally, fifth, an autonomous attack would be a clear EE violation. We know missiles are somehow dumb unless properly instructed, so they might have attacked the planet or just plainly ploughed through one, or attacked purely civilian installations. At this point, they were still trying to avoid a violation.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:30 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And finally, fifth, an autonomous attack would be a clear EE violation. We know missiles are somehow dumb unless properly instructed, so they might have attacked the planet or just plainly ploughed through one, or attacked purely civilian installations. At this point, they were still trying to avoid a violation.

An autonomous attack should be able to distinguish a target from a planet and if it is successful at doing that, then there is no EE violation. Both the Silver Bullets and the Apollo missiles are anything but dumb, so it is possible to build an autonomous missile that would avoid a violation.

If we are talking about Oyster Bay, there were no EE violations. Everything attacked in orbit was a valid military target. There was mention in the book that the planners kept the laser head missiles away from the planets because of a fear of a planetary impact by one of them.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:52 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If we are talking about Oyster Bay, there were no EE violations. Everything attacked in orbit was a valid military target. There was mention in the book that the planners kept the laser head missiles away from the planets because of a fear of a planetary impact by one of them.

But that's my entire point. They were valid military targets, but the weapons were fed detailed targetting information by the manned ships. But if they were autonomous and developed a glitch in targetting, or simply thought this massive civilian industrial node was a military target, it could have attacked it.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I didn't post that but anyway ...

Microjumping can be just as dangerous. Sooner or later you are going to jump right into a Spider's web.

It also doesn't seem practical. The reason the fleet sits out there is to look over the prey and get bearings. If there is a lot of microjumping, then is there ever time to get bearings on enemy emplacements? I suppose data from drones can be received anywhere one jumps, but it seems jumps still have to be within a certain area to receive data in a timely fashion.

I still think that somehow the MA simply needs to figure out how to destroy the fleet train, then it is game over for the GA. And if the drones are eaten in the Darius system as I suspect they will be, then microjumping like frightened chickens isn't going to amount to much. At any rate, sooner or later there is going to be one jump too many.

BTW, is there nausea after each microjump?

The drones can transmit their data to wherever the ships are and nothing says they all need to jump at the same time, just not sit still for too long.

As for the risk of dropping into a web--you're not realizing how big the space is they would have to defend. The risk is minuscule. You simply need to avoid sailing into an ambush and that's done by not being predictable. It's the same as zig-zagging by WWII ships, except it's much more effective due to the time needed to set an ambush.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And finally, fifth, an autonomous attack would be a clear EE violation. We know missiles are somehow dumb unless properly instructed, so they might have attacked the planet or just plainly ploughed through one, or attacked purely civilian installations. At this point, they were still trying to avoid a violation.

I'm sure a missile wouldn't be programmed to consider a planet a valid target unless it's owners didn't care about EE violations.

However, missiles have extreme tunnel vision and apparently no good concept of where they are in space. This means that a missile going for a valid target in the vicinity of a planet will have a non-zero probability of running into the planet if care isn't taken. Note that the planet can be struck even if the missile retains it's proper target lock--in attempting to shoot past the wedge of something in orbit the computed firing point could be underground, and even if it detonates that converts the solid into a rapidly expanding ball of plasma--that still can hit the planet before it's dispersed.

For that matter--I suspect the missile body isn't fully vaporized by the detonation. The blast is highly focused by the gravity generators which means for purposes of the missile body it's not that big a boom and there's going to be flash vaporization of the surface, the energy will not penetrate well. The back of the missile body is going to get banged up but survive.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:49 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If we are talking about Oyster Bay, there were no EE violations. Everything attacked in orbit was a valid military target. There was mention in the book that the planners kept the laser head missiles away from the planets because of a fear of a planetary impact by one of them.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But that's my entire point. They were valid military targets, but the weapons were fed detailed targetting information by the manned ships. But if they were autonomous and developed a glitch in targetting, or simply thought this massive civilian industrial node was a military target, it could have attacked it.

I am saying the exact opposite in the part that you threw away (see below). There are missiles that could be trusted to discriminate between a target and a planet, such as Apollo and the Silver Bullets. In fact the Silver Bullets were autonomous once released from the freighter.
An autonomous attack should be able to distinguish a target from a planet and if it is successful at doing that, then there is no EE violation. Both the Silver Bullets and the Apollo missiles are anything but dumb, so it is possible to build an autonomous missile that would avoid a violation.

You were saying that an autonomous missile is automatically an EE violation and that is not so.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:You were saying that an autonomous missile is automatically an EE violation and that is not so.

I'm not saying it's an automatic EE violation. I'm saying the chance of causing one is much, much greater if someone isn't there to help the missile along with last-minute targetting and that at this point, the MAlign was trying to avoid causing one.

The Silver Bullets don't actually count, since they were meant to attack nearly at the same time as an intentional EE violation was supposed to happen. And their targets were also not supposed to be anything readily visible anyway, so it would be easy to exclude planets and civilian installations. The "worst" case would be if they targetted a black site by the BSC.

Plus, the Silver Bullets weren't screaming in at the target at a significant fraction of light-speed. They had weeks to refine their targetting and they were loitering. The Oyster Bay attack would not have been that, if done with missiles.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:You were saying that an autonomous missile is automatically an EE violation and that is not so.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm not saying it's an automatic EE violation. I'm saying the chance of causing one is much, much greater if someone isn't there to help the missile along with last-minute targetting and that at this point, the MAlign was trying to avoid causing one.

The Silver Bullets don't actually count, since they were meant to attack nearly at the same time as an intentional EE violation was supposed to happen. And their targets were also not supposed to be anything readily visible anyway, so it would be easy to exclude planets and civilian installations. The "worst" case would be if they targetted a black site by the BSC.

Plus, the Silver Bullets weren't screaming in at the target at a significant fraction of light-speed. They had weeks to refine their targetting and they were loitering. The Oyster Bay attack would not have been that, if done with missiles.

You originally said "And finally, fifth, an autonomous attack would be a clear EE violation."; which is a clear, unequivocal statement that you are now trying to back away from. For the sake of argument I will concede that the odds of an EE violation increase sharply if the target seeking on the missiles is dumb.

The Silver Bullets DO count, as they are clearly autonomous missiles that found their targets after a long search and only hit targets as far as we know. The fact that an EE violation was planned to be simultaneous with the Hasta attacks is irrelevant, since that was unrelated to the destruction of the Mycroft stations.

At Galton a missile attack was recognized due to the bow wave at a "significant" fraction of light-speed; so the pods at Oyster Bay must have been slower than that. You are being imprecise since the attacking weapons for Oyster Bay were all "missiles"; the difference is that some had laser heads and wedge drives activated when in attack range of the shipyards, while the others had graser heads and spider drives.

It is also imprecise to say the attacking weapons at Oyster Bay had "last-minute targetting" information, because I expect they were several minutes away; more than enough time to experience the glitches that you worry about for what were essentially autonomous weapons at that point. Basically any missile is autonomous once it is no longer in communication with a controller; but I concede that if the time lapse involved is not more than some small number of seconds, then we should agree that is irrelevant.

Return to Honorverse