Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

Snippet help

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Snippet help
Post by Pendlemac   » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:26 pm

Pendlemac
Midshipman

A while back I found something that explained exactly how Elaine Descroix met her end.

I can remember pearls and gas being involved but searching the forums for those and some other keywords gets nowhere.

Tried 'Peals of Weber' and other places, no joy.

Pretty sure it wasn't part of a full-length novel.

Anybody able to put me out of my misery and remind me where it can be found.

ps I don't even mind if the response is along the lines of 'You idiot, it's in novel XYZ!' :D
Re: Snippet help
Post by tlb   » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:31 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Pendlemac wrote:A while back I found something that explained exactly how Elaine Descroix met her end.

I can remember pearls and gas being involved but searching the forums for those and some other keywords gets nowhere.

ps I don't even mind if the response is along the lines of 'You idiot, it's in novel XYZ!' :D

In chapter 2 of At All Costs there is this brief mention of her fate, but I do not remember it being fleshed out more elsewhere:
And just to make the situation even better, we have strong indications that in the course of his own contributions to generating this fiasco, Zilwicki managed to get his hands on some sort of evidence which led to the disappearance of Countess North Hollow and the destruction of the North Hollow Files, which ultimately played its own part in the fall of the High Ridge Government and Descroix's complete loss of power."
"Speaking of Descroix . . . ?" another of Detweiler's guests inquired.
"No longer a problem," Bardasano replied with a thin smile.
"Good."
"But eliminating her didn't eliminate the fallout from the entire Congo debacle," Sandusky pointed out.

"No, it didn't," Anisimovna agreed. "It comes under the heading of damage control, at best."
"Agreed," Detweiler said.

I do not have searchable text after Mission of Honor, so there could have been more about her trying to flee with money (vague recollection).
Post by Pendlemac   » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:05 pm

Pendlemac
Midshipman

tlb wrote:In chapter 2 of At All Costs there is this brief mention of her fate, but I do not remember it being fleshed out more elsewhere:
And just to make the situation even better, we have strong indications that in the course of his own contributions to generating this fiasco, Zilwicki managed to get his hands on some sort of evidence which led to the disappearance of Countess North Hollow and the destruction of the North Hollow Files, which ultimately played its own part in the fall of the High Ridge Government and Descroix's complete loss of power."
"Speaking of Descroix . . . ?" another of Detweiler's guests inquired.
"No longer a problem," Bardasano replied with a thin smile.
"Good."
"But eliminating her didn't eliminate the fallout from the entire Congo debacle," Sandusky pointed out.

"No, it didn't," Anisimovna agreed. "It comes under the heading of damage control, at best."
"Agreed," Detweiler said.

I do not have searchable text after Mission of Honor, so there could have been more about her trying to flee with money (vague recollection).

Yeah, the bit about her fleeing with money is what I've 'lost'.

I think Bardasano appeared in the text and a camouflaged
gas chamber was involved.

The text finished with Descroix offering pearls as a last ditch attempt for freedom and Bardasano complaining about what the gas did to them.

BTW, I don't think it was fan-fic as I haven't really read any from the Honorverse.
Post by tlb   » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:21 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Pendlemac wrote:I think Bardasano appeared in the text and a camouflaged gas chamber was involved.

The text finished with Descroix offering pearls as a last ditch attempt for freedom and Bardasano complaining about what the gas did to them.

BTW, I don't think it was fan-fic as I haven't really read any from the Honorverse.

I certainly do not remember anything so direct, only that she went on the run with a large amount of money heading for parts where she was unknown. But I have no idea where I read about her.

The Honorverse Fan Wiki only says that she was ordered murdered by Bardsano. It also credits the following to "The Honorverse Companion" in House of Steel (see the biography section entitled "People" under Manticore):
When High Ridge resigned, she put together 20 million Manticoran dollars, and departed on a tourist excursion to Beowulf; it was later assumed that she did not plan to return. The money was transferred into an account which put it essentially out of the reach of the Manticoran government in the Stotterman System. It was widely believed that at least some of the money may have been obtained by illegal means as part of High Ridge government's corruption. She was not heard of again.
Last edited by tlb on Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:41 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

(Concerning Desccroix fate after the fall of the High Ridge government)

Pendlemac wrote:

The bit about a gas chamber and some sort of failed bribe was a scene in one of Elizabeth Moon's Familias Regnant novels.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Vince   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:06 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Pendlemac wrote:

Descrooix and the money she took with her is briefly mentioned in the wrap up as Honor returns to Manticore from Sidemore in:
War of Honor, Chapter 59 wrote:"Descroix?" Honor asked.
"We're not sure," Elizabeth admitted. "She tendered her resignation along with High Ridge, of course. And then, a couple of days later, she headed out to Beowulf on one of the day excursion ships . . . and didn't come back. From the looks of things, there was no foul play involved, unless it was her own. I think she planned on not coming back, although at this point no one has the least idea where she may have headed. All we know for sure it is that she transferred about twenty million dollars through a numbered DNA account on Beowulf to another account in the Stotterman System." The Queen grimaced. "You know what the Stotterman banking laws are like. It's going to take us at least ten or twelve T-years to get access to their records."
"Where did the money come from?" Honor wondered.
"We're working on that one from our end, Your Grace," Colonel Shemais put in diffidently. "So far, we don't have any definite leads, but there are a couple of at least slightly promising avenues for us to follow up. If we find what I expect to, we may be able to break Stotterman open a little sooner. They are part of the Solarian League, after all, and Sollie banking regulations are pretty specific about cooperating with embezzlement and malfeasance investigations."
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:03 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Pendlemac wrote:A while back I found something that explained exactly how Elaine Descroix met her end.

That particular method of disposal is from one of Anne McCaffery's Familias Regnant stories. I don't think RFC exactly explained how Descroix met her well deserved end, whatever it may have been.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:

That particular method of disposal is from one of Anne McCaffery's Familias Regnant stories. I don't think RFC exactly explained how Descroix met her well deserved end, whatever it may have been.

Right series, wrong author. Elizabeth Moon, as Robert Woodward mentioned above.

The corrupt Familias noble offers the Black Hand button woman the pearls she's carrying concealed, in exchange for her life. The killer makes a comment about wishing she had known about the pearls before she started the gas flowing, because the gas she used was destructive to pearls.

Return to Honorverse