Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!
Post by tlb   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:51 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote: Does she know about the LDs and the Sharks? The Streak Boat?

tlb wrote:I assume Gail must know about all that, otherwise she could have been sent to Galton to plan the defense.

The only unprecedented technology that the Malign has is the spider drive, since the streak drive does nothing in normal space. Whatever they try with Hastas etc, at Galton can then be turned up to eleven with a spider drive at Darius. So there was no reason to hold back.

cthia wrote:The spider drive and the countermissile platforms. The use of the unprecedented spider drive allowed unprecedented tactics. Tactics which most likely have other variations and possibilities.

How can you assume that Gail knows anything if it isn't specifically spelled out in text? The MA are so need to know and compartmentalized.

Don't underestimate the tactical advantages of the streak drive in offsetting the RMN's interior lines of operation with their monopoly on junctions. A monopoly that shouldn't exist when attacking Darius. So, in the right setting, the streak drive can provide Darius with the advantage of having the interior lines of communication.

I was talking about the difference between defending Galton and Darius: the spider drive and streak drive were not used in defending Galton; although the streak drive played a part in getting information to Galton. Therefore the use of the spider drive at Darius will have`surprise value. If Darius is smart, then it cannot be attacked through wormhole junctions.

We have no idea what the state of knowledge about the streak drive will be in the GA at the point when Darius can be attacked (since Bolthole is working on duplicating it).

You know that Gail is aware of the spider drive, because she begged to use them when designing the defense.

PS. The streak drive does not provide an advantage over a wormhole transit; only over hyperspace travel when a wormhole is not present.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The spider drive and the countermissile platforms. The use of the unprecedented spider drive allowed unprecedented tactics. Tactics which most likely have other variations and possibilities.

How can you assume that Gail knows anything if it isn't specifically spelled out in text? The MA are so need to know and compartmentalized.

Because it is mentioned, just not in explicit detail. She is aware of spider torpedoes, because she knows her hands were tied by not being allowed to use them. So she is aware of the technology. She may not know the ships are already being built, but she's not stupid.

Unless she's reasoned that such ships can't be used effectively against a much faster opponent.

Don't underestimate the tactical advantages of the streak drive in offsetting the RMN's interior lines of operation with their monopoly on junctions. A monopoly that shouldn't exist when attacking Darius. So, in the right setting, the streak drive can provide Darius with the advantage of having the interior lines of communication.

In addition to tlb answered, the streak drive is not an advantage because the GA has it too. We haven't seen it yet, but it's a matter of time.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:46 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Because it is mentioned, just not in explicit detail. She is aware of spider torpedoes, because she knows her hands were tied by not being allowed to use them. So she is aware of the technology. She may not know the ships are already being built, but she's not stupid.

Unless she's reasoned that such ships can't be used effectively against a much faster opponent.

Though realizing that ships using the spider drive probably have been, and are, being build isn't the same thing as being read in on the details of the Sharks and LennyDets. So she might well realize that it could be useful for some warships without having any idea of the actual specs of the ships the MAlign is currently building.

(Actually, if she wasn't read in on their breakthroughs in grav plates she might well significantly underestimate their usable manned acceleration and thus overly discount their effectiveness)

OTOH she might be fully read into the entire program and there just wasn't reason for that to have come up yet in the books; we just don't know.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Because it is mentioned, just not in explicit detail. She is aware of spider torpedoes, because she knows her hands were tied by not being allowed to use them. So she is aware of the technology. She may not know the ships are already being built, but she's not stupid.

Though realizing that ships using the spider drive probably have been, and are, being build isn't the same thing as being read in on the details of the Sharks and LennyDets. So she might well realize that it could be useful for some warships without having any idea of the actual specs of the ships the MAlign is currently building.

(Actually, if she wasn't read in on their breakthroughs in grav plates she might well significantly underestimate their usable manned acceleration and thus overly discount their effectiveness)

OTOH she might be fully read into the entire program and there just wasn't reason for that to have come up yet in the books; we just don't know.

It all reminds me of Enter the Dragon when Bruce Lee asked, "Why don't you just go in there with a bunch of .45s and 'BANG BANG' it's over!" You have to make the options listed make sense.

The fact that Gail never enquired about the state of warships being used, or their capability, and the fact that she didn't even mention them in passing makes me think she is unaware of them.

The streak drive is still an advantage until the GA duplicates it. The fact that "the check is in the mail" doesn't count. The fact that the check may be in the mail doesn't count. The GA may run into a snag trying to reproduce the streak drive. Didn't Simoes only work on a specific area of it? Knowing that something is possible greases a lot of paths in research. However, it still doesn't make reverse engineering something a given, nor does it guarantee success in a timely manner.

In a system or systems w/o WHs is what I meant by "in the right setting."

The Battle of Darius could happen over several systems. We just don't know.

Last edited by cthia on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:12 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The fact that Gail never enquired about the state of warships being used, or their capability, and the fact that she didn't even mention them in passing makes me think she is unaware of them.

It might also mean that she does not need to inquire because she already knows it. For all you know she could have been in all of the planning for Oyster Bay. She is an Alpha, so why are you so negative about her possible knowledge and abilities? To remind you of what we know.
Jonathan_S wrote:Ah here we are the real meat of the info:
Cauldron of Ghosts-earc wrote:“And what makes you such an expert on the subject?” she demanded.
“The fact that I am an expert on the subject. Project Mir—” Weiss began, then stopped and flicked a glance in Zhilov’s direction. The Gaul clearly wasn’t concerned about maintaining security about project code names at this point, however, but habits died hard, so she shrugged, then looked back at Juarez.
“The project I headed up,” she continued, naming no names, “was devoted to the study of naval tactics. Which, for anyone with a brain—that excludes pretty much the entire officer corps of the Sollies’ Battle Fleet, of course—means constant and careful analysis of the Manty-Haven war. If it would settle your nerves, I can lecture you into a state of utter stupor on the capabilities of any class of warships in the galaxy.”

So that expertise must be why Marinescu said "Gail Weiss is…let’s just say she has special skills we don’t want to lose." when she informed that little group of 5 that Houdini was being activated. And I guess those skills are why she was put into a group that presumably was all bound for Darius instead of Galton.

I find it significant that she was sent to Darius to plan the defense of Galton, instead of Galton itself. That has to mean that she has knowledge and abilities beyond the level of Galton. So what is beyond the level of Galton? Mainly, it is the capabilities and application of the spider drive.
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Tlb, I am not negative about her abilities. I am negative about how she acquired those abilities. Her abilities seem to be fine. I was certainly impressed by her in the book, and I am excited by her to boot. I look forward to seeing more of her in the future. But again, I question where and how she could have come by those talents at a purely academic level. Sims are great, but sims only, do not a great tactician make.

And, my whole rant isn't exactly against Gail, but against the MA's entire cadre of officers... if textbooks and classroom instruction is the limit of their talent. It is all in my post. How did you miss it?

And yes, it is significant that she was sent to Darius to plan the defense of Galton. But, does that mean that Darius does not have its own group of strategists, tacticians? Surely they simply wanted Gail to get her feet wet by helping to acclimate her. Or they wanted to see for certain what she is made of.

As I also posted upstream, for quite a while now everyone has been ranting on about where MA officers might acquire their talent, and we all suggested there has to be holes in their instruction. It appears that we might have been right.

How are you promoted from a Lieutenant or Captain or Admiral with only classrooms and sims. What, slaying dragons on a SIM can get you promoted? Perhaps it is some threshold of hours logged on the SIM. :o

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:27 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The fact that Gail never enquired about the state of warships being used, or their capability, and the fact that she didn't even mention them in passing makes me think she is unaware of them.

tlb wrote:It might also mean that she does not need to inquire because she already knows it. For all you know she could have been in all of the planning for Oyster Bay. She is an Alpha, so why are you so negative about her possible knowledge and abilities?

cthia wrote:Tlb, I am not negative about her abilities. I am negative about how she acquired those abilities. Her abilities seem to be fine. I was certainly impressed by her in the book, and I am excited by her to boot. I look forward to seeing more of her in the future. But again, I question where and how she could have come by those talents at a purely academic level. Sims are great, but sims only, do not a great tactician make.

And, my whole rant isn't exactly against Gail, but against the MA's entire cadre of officers... if textbooks and classroom instruction is the limit of their talent. It is all in my post. How did you miss it?

And yes, it is significant that she was sent to Darius to plan the defense of Galton. But, does that mean that Darius does not have its own group of strategists, tacticians? Surely they simply wanted Gail to get her feet wet by helping to acclimate her. Or they wanted to see for certain what she is made of.

As I also posted upstream, for quite a while now everyone has been ranting on about where MA officers might acquire their talent, and we all suggested there has to be holes in their instruction. It appears that we might have been right.

How are you promoted from a Lieutenant or Captain or Admiral with only classrooms and sims. What, slaying dragons on a SIM can get you promoted? Perhaps it is some threshold of hours logged on the SIM. :o

If you reread your question (which prompted mine), you will see that you were negative about her knowledge in several places, not just the general state of Malign training.

As for training, it is true that any peacetime navy can have problems finding live fire training opportunities. Manticore had the advantage of anti-pirate missions in the Confederation and Haven had single planet conquests. Otherwise most nations have to use training exercises and war-gaming simulations. These can be valuable in weeding out officers that do not have command abilities, but suffer from replaying last year's war. However, the Malign has been keeping up to date on developments in the war with Haven, so their main disadvantage is inability to match some of Manticore's technology. On the other hand they have some technology that is unmatched.

So Gail and others would analyze the best possible defense of Galton using their knowledge of the Grand Alliance capabilities. Despairing at the results she believed that a much better outcome could be had if the spider drive were used. She would only believe this if she had knowledge of the spider drive weapon systems at Darius and their associated capabilities.
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It all reminds me of Khan and his ship of genetically enhanced super soldiers. They were highly intelligent but lacked experience.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:As I also posted upstream, for quite a while now everyone has been ranting on about where MA officers might acquire their talent, and we all suggested there has to be holes in their instruction. It appears that we might have been right.

I'd actually argue that for a tactician, when fighting in an environment that is entirely sensor based, sims of sufficient fidelity can be an effective way to develop a tactician.

After all these sims aren't playing against a canned script, or pre-programed "AI", where you can exploit its programming to win. You've got other humans on the other side of the sim than you're trying to defeat.

Now I'd argue that today while the US Army spends quite a lot of time putting their tank crews through networked sims that those cannot be a complete replacement for real word practice because significant parts of tank combat can't be fully captured by the sim (properly hiding the tank for an ambush, physically preparing fighting positions, eye for the commander and driver on how best to approach various terrain and ground conditions, etc. And even depending on exactly how good the sim is it may or may not do a good job of getting you used to some real world effects that might, for example, cause you to get a laser range finder return from some obstruction you didn't notice instead of the actual target). So there's still no complete substitute for real world exercises where you're throwing the tanks around actual environments.

But with Honorverse warships sims you can be sitting at the actual stations of the actual ships, looking at the same sensor feeds -- the only difference is that you're seeing a feeds of the simulated returns of sensors. But there's no terrain difference between the simulation and reality.

The MAlign's problem isn't, as I see it, that they presumably do their tactical training primarily in sims; so does the RMN, despite their preference for live wargames, they still do many times more simulated combat than live wargames. And the RMN's pre-war anti-piracy work give combat experience in (generally) single ship combat against 3rd-rate enemies. It does get the captains and tac officers used to actually killing enemies; but that's about it. It provides no tactical training, or test of tactical doctrine, for even squadron combat; much less fleet combat between walls of battle. Those tactics were only worked out, and practiced, in simulations and war games and prior to the war with Haven the RMN had basically never gotten any real world combat experience to proof their fleet strategies against.
Hence those strategies and tactics getting revised again and again based on seeing how they worked out in actual combat, once that began.

And yet those same revised strategies are primarily taught to up and coming tactical officers, captains, commodores, and admirals through classroom instruction, and various levels of simulation (everything from the handful of sim stations in Honor's house allowing; what up to 12 people to simulate commanding anything from a LAC up to entire fleets, up to full fleets in orbit all participating in a simulation) long before they get to try them during one of the rare wargames. However, they're learning battle tested tactics and strategies and generally now have battle seasoned instructors running the OpFor -- so they get realistic challenges.

So as I see it the Maligns problem isn't the sims, everybody has to primarily use those. It isn't even that they don't have combat experienced folks to run their OpFor (until the last 20 years that's be basically true of everybody's navy as well -- at least if you're talking about combat with your most powerful warships in large formations). It's that they need wildly new an innovative tactics to take advantage of their wildly divergent ship designs and due to the secrecy around those designs they're pulling from a pretty small talent pool with no way to get outside input or to cross check against outside thinking. They're at high risk (though its not guaranteed) of falling into a trap where they a) end up setting simulation conditions that preclude discovering actual flaws in their tactics and b) don't throw in enough curve balls to identify and cultivate the officers with the flexibility to both see when an established tactic no longer works and to figure out how to adapt and overcome. If you end up with training where your tactics just always work you can end up selecting for officers that are best at following them by rote and will do quite poorly in real combat the first time reality deviates from their plan.

But that's not a flaw in using sims for training. That's a flaw of misusing your training (and real wargames are just as vulnerable to that flaw -- sometimes even more so they're so rare that you'll need to reset if things deviate too far off script. After all they'd be a bad way to train your escort commanders if a surprise tactic killed them all in the opening minutes and they had to sit out the rest of the multi-day wargame. At least with a sim you can sometimes afford to let a "ruined" one play fully out because they're more frequent and you can just try again soon)
Post by edgeworthy   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:14 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

"Training is good, but there is no match for experience!"
-Even bond Villains know that one.

Return to Honorverse