Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Straight from the horse's mouth. Rather, the Duckk's beak?

Duckk wrote: For To End in Fire, spoilers do not need to be marked now.

Thank you Duckk!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I messaged Duckk.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:42 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

If no knowledge of Darius is available at Galton, then isn't it true that there also can be no knowledge of the Renaissance Factor there? The problem being that both the Renaissance Factor leadership and elements of the Navy, know about Darius.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If no knowledge of Darius is available at Galton, then isn't it true that there also can be no knowledge of the Renaissance Factor there? The problem being that both the Renaissance Factor leadership and elements of the Navy, know about Darius.

Excellent point - Mannerheim guards the front door to Darius.

But wouldn't it be a kicker if information found at Galton lead back to the RF?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm at a loss for words when it comes to Princess Ruth. Or rather, her choice of professions. I know she is good at spy stuff. But... but... but... a spy? I can't shake my feelings about that career path being so wrong and incompatible for a Princess. Am I wrong? After all, Michelle Henke is, what, fifth in line for succession? So why can't Ruth live on the edge as well. Although Michelle's profession keeps her safe behind a wall of battle. I dunno, anyone else feel uncomfortable with her being a spy?

Post by tlb   » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:18 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I'm at a loss for words when it comes to Princess Ruth. Or rather, her choice of professions. I know she is good at spy stuff. But... but... but... a spy? I can't shake my feelings about that career path being so wrong and incompatible for a Princess. Am I wrong? After all, Michelle Henke is, what, fifth in line for succession? So why can't Ruth live on the edge as well. Although Michelle's profession keeps her safe behind a wall of battle. I dunno, anyone else feel uncomfortable with her being a spy?

Obviously it is not a normal job for a Royal; but she is very much safer than Michelle Henke, who was lucky to be captured instead of killed. Contrast that with Ruth, who has a force of Royal guards that will prevent her from undertaking anything dangerous.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I'm at a loss for words when it comes to Princess Ruth. Or rather, her choice of professions. I know she is good at spy stuff. But... but... but... a spy? I can't shake my feelings about that career path being so wrong and incompatible for a Princess. Am I wrong? After all, Michelle Henke is, what, fifth in line for succession? So why can't Ruth live on the edge as well. Although Michelle's profession keeps her safe behind a wall of battle. I dunno, anyone else feel uncomfortable with her being a spy?

Obviously it is not a normal job for a Royal; but she is very much safer than Michelle Henke, who was lucky to be captured instead of killed. Contrast that with Ruth, who has a force of Royal guards that will prevent her from undertaking anything dangerous.

I understand that. But my point is how serious can she be in "graduating to the big League." She will always have to play on the sidelines.

Post by zyffyr   » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:38 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:I understand that. But my point is how serious can she be in "graduating to the big League." She will always have to play on the sidelines.

Do bear in mind that Ruth isn't in the line of succession - while she is family she isn't FAMILY.

Current line of succession according to House of Steel :
In case of the untimely death of Elizabeth III, next in line of succession for the monarchy will be Crown Prince Roger, followed by Princess Joanna, the Duke of Winton-Serisburg, the Dowager Countess of Gold Peak, and the current Countess of Gold Peak.

The Duke of Winton-Serisburg is also known as Prince Michael Winton - Ruth's adoptive father. If Ruth was in line at all, she would come before the Gold Peaks.

Of course, most of the time she won't be in a position to be doing field work because of her role as Head of Intelligence for Torch but the only person who has a realistic chance of making her stay home if she REALLY wants to go is Queen Berry.
Post by cthia   » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Agreed. Ruth isn't actually in the line of succession. Ruth states that herself in TEiF. Ruth also made the same annoyed remark about Michelle that I made.

However, as we discussed before, she would be in line by happenstance rather than by design. Even Honor is in the line of succession by happenstance. If all other heirs to the throne had been eliminated.

But really, spy stuff can only be a hobby for her. Not her main career. Being Torch's Intelligence Officer is more her speed. And I can imagine that her other skills greatly enhances her ability in that capacity.

At any rate, the fact that she is being fussed over, as if she were in line, clips her wings.

But, surely you aren't being dismissive about QEIII's insistence that nothing untoward happen to her? Am I recalling that correctly? Or was that Queen Berry's insistence?

Post by tlb   » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:53 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Agreed. Ruth isn't actually in the line of succession. Ruth states that herself in TEiF. Ruth also made the same annoyed remark about Michelle that I made.

But really, spy stuff can only be a hobby for her. Not her main career. Being Torch's Intelligence Officer is more her speed. And I can imagine that her other skills greatly enhances her ability in that capacity.

At any rate, the fact that she is being fussed over, as if she were in line, clips her wings.

I consider the Chief Intelligence Officer to be a spy (that is a real job, not just a hobby), the same as the CIA head is a spook. Ruth was never going to be sent undercover to infiltrate someplace. The adventure at Hole in the Wall is the closest she will every get.

I thought it was her mother and father that set the guard on her.

Return to Honorverse