Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joat42 and 28 guests

SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILER SEASON IS OVER FOR TEiF!!!
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:30 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Yildun is a manufacturing center, with most workers building products to sell; that is why it can afford to import food and luxury items. There is no reason to believe that it is a limiting example for a system without worlds that could be terraformed; which is to say that a few million is not the limit on such a population (Beowulf had about 40 million living in the three orbitals). The hard part is getting the manufacturing base set up, once that is done there are few limits, since the manufacturing is the only limit on orbitals. As Theemile pointed out, Grayson was basically feeding the population with orbital farms at a much lower technology level than Yildun possesses.

Right. And farming in space is probably actually easier than down a gravity well, for a number of reasons. For one, there's no weather and there's no night: you can control exactly the amount of solar incidence and you can of course supplement it with mirrors. For another, there are no plagues, no invasive species, and natural disasters (though of course there would be the artificial kind). Gravity hasn't been a problem in the HV for a couple of centuries, but it stands to reason that they've done orbital farming without it too for a millennium before that. Just do spin gravity.

I'd go as far as saying we'll see orbital farming by the end of this century on Earth. Just like orbital industries too.

A society without access to cheap lifting out of the gravity well would also do well to choose its industry in space. It's far easier to drop products down to the planet to provide to the people who live there than to lift from the planet to support the workers who are in space. The same goes for industries. The biggest difficulty in getting a space economy going is first lifting enough of it from the planet: once you're out there, it's self-reinforcing. And this is going to happen exactly once: on Earth. All other systems we colonise, we will start from space, so all the assets will be in orbit first, before the first landing and the founding of Landing City.
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The difference between, an uninhabitable planet used as a bolthole for Galton vs Yildun, is that Yildun was not cut off from trade. It was not cut off from humanity. Yildun was not in hiding. And if a very expensive machine broke down, they can just order one. It wouldn't be like that for Galton's bolthole.

Also, Grayson had to eventually move down to the planet. There is going to come a time when your population in orbit and the space you need to grow the food to feed that ever growing population will be at a premium. Then there are unforeseen disasters that happen that can quickly thrust you back to the dark ages; like what happened to Refuge. At least Refuge was lucky enough to be on planet when the unimaginable happened. Imagine a disaster of that magnitude happening to you in space.

If you are an infrastructure in space that has been depending on another system for survival and you suddenly lose it, it is going to be much harder than sci-fi novels depict.

Also, the people at Galton's bolthole may not even know where they are in the galaxy, even if leaving becomes a must. And who is to say the people at Galton's bolthole would have the expertise to do anything other than build ships. And if they are conditioned, they might start dropping dead from questioning each other about survival. But all of that is besides the point to whether the GA would automatically decide that there must be a huge population of malignants out there.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The difference between, an uninhabitable planet used as a bolthole for Galton vs Yildun, is that Yildun was not cut off from trade. It was not cut off from humanity. Yildun was not in hiding. And if a very expensive machine broke down, they can just order one. It wouldn't be like that for Galton's bolthole.

Also, Grayson had to eventually move down to the planet. There is going to come a time when your population in orbit and the space you need to grow the food to feed that ever growing population will be at a premium. Then there are unforeseen disasters that happen that can quickly thrust you back to the dark ages; like what happened to Refuge. At least Refuge was lucky enough to be on planet when the unimaginable happened. Imagine a disaster of that magnitude happening to you in space.

If you are an infrastructure in space that has been depending on another system for survival and you suddenly lose it, it is going to be much harder than sci-fi novels depict.

Also, the people at Galton's bolthole may not even know where they are in the galaxy, even if leaving becomes a must. And who is to say the people at Galton's bolthole would have the expertise to do anything other than build ships. And if they are conditioned, they might start dropping dead from questioning each other about survival. But all of that is besides the point to whether the GA would automatically decide that there must be a huge population of malignants out there.

Grayson started down on the planet and eventually rebuilt technology to move to space, including developing chemical rockets. They are only now coming back down, because the domes offer a cheap way to control the heavy metals. It is certainly not because space is at a premium; space is huge compared to the planetary surface.

The disaster at Refuge and the earlier disaster at Calvin's Hope both occurred on the ground, not in space.

Certainly an isolated hideaway needs redundant machinery, including the ability to make parts for other machines. Witness the trouble Manticore had after Oyster Bay, when almost no one had the machines that could build replacements for the destroyed fabrication machines.

There are (or were at least) people at Galton that knew how to navigate throughout the inhabited space; some of them would obviously be included necessarily to transport others to the hypothetical hideout location.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:The difference between, an uninhabitable planet used as a bolthole for Galton vs Yildun, is that Yildun was not cut off from trade. It was not cut off from humanity. Yildun was not in hiding. And if a very expensive machine broke down, they can just order one. It wouldn't be like that for Galton's bolthole.

Grayson started down on the planet and eventually rebuilt technology to move to space, including developing chemical rockets. They are only now coming back down, because the domes offer a cheap way to control the heavy metals. It is certainly not because space is at a premium; space is huge compared to the planetary surface.

Did Grayson start out on the planet? I thought they had to live on their colony ship until it began to break down, then they moved down on the planet. An uninhabitable planet supporting a bolthole may not have that option to go down to the planet until they can get their shit together to move back into space.

tlb wrote:The disaster at Refuge and the earlier disaster at Calvin's Hope both occurred on the ground, not in space.

That is exactly what I said ...

cthia wrote:At least Refuge was lucky enough to be on planet when the unimaginable happened.

Now what if a disaster of the same magnitude befell them "if" they were living in space?

tlb wrote:Certainly an isolated hideaway needs redundant machinery, including the ability to make parts for other machines. Witness the trouble Manticore had after Oyster Bay, when almost no one had the machines that could build replacements for the destroyed fabrication machines.

Indeed, but what if they were already in need of a critical machine and other components when the GA struck. Or critical components broke before backups could be produced. The planet may not give them the option of a vacation from space until a later time.

tlb wrote:There are (or were at least) people at Galton that knew how to navigate throughout the inhabited space; some of them would obviously be included necessarily to transport others to the hypothetical hideout location.

True. But was the entire population able to navigate the heavens other than a select few who were cleared? Would people start dropping dead if they tried to leave if they were not cleared. I doubt very seriously that they were allowed to leave.

Grayson's maiden voyage was impeccably planned with people of all professions and disciplines included onboard. A bolthole around a lifeless planet would not have the professionals in all of the disciplines needed. That isn't its purpose. And it certainly can't be presumed that a paranoid MA would set them up that way.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:54 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote: Then there are unforeseen disasters that happen that can quickly thrust you back to the dark ages; like what happened to Refuge. At least Refuge was lucky enough to be on planet when the unimaginable happened. Imagine a disaster of that magnitude happening to you in space.

tlb wrote:The disaster at Refuge and the earlier disaster at Calvin's Hope both occurred on the ground, not in space.

cthia wrote:That is exactly what I said ...Now what if a disaster of the same magnitude befell them "if" they were living in space?

The calamity at Refuge was something that can only happen on the ground of a planet big enough to support tectonic activity (such as what might happen on Earth when the next Toba or Yellowstone blows).

The Calvin's Hope disaster was of space origin, but orbitals are dispersed and have protection (including spherical sidewalls; so it would not affect the people in space as much as those on the ground. Yes, a disaster can still strike an orbital because of something unforeseen; but it is extremely unlikely to strike more one at time, giving the ability to analyze and construct preventatives in the remaining structures.
Post by tlb   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:05 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Grayson started down on the planet and eventually rebuilt technology to move to space, including developing chemical rockets. They are only now coming back down, because the domes offer a cheap way to control the heavy metals. It is certainly not because space is at a premium; space is huge compared to the planetary surface.

cthia wrote:Did Grayson start out on the planet? I thought they had to live on their colony ship until it began to break down, then they moved down on the planet. An uninhabitable planet supporting a bolthole may not have that option to go down to the planet until they can get their shit together to move back into space.

From chapter 1 of The Honor of the Queen:
“At any rate, the Church of Humanity Unchained was the product of a fellow named Austin Grayson—the Reverend Austin Grayson from someplace called the State of Idaho. According to the Foreign Office, there were hordes of lunatic fringe groups running around at the time, and Grayson was a ‘back to the Bible’ type who got caught up in the ban-the-machine movement. The only things that made him different from other crackpots and bomb-throwers were his charisma, his determination, and his talent for attracting converts with real ability. He actually managed to assemble a colony expedition and fund it to the tune of several billion dollars, all to take his followers away to the New Zion and its wonderful, technology-free Garden of Eden. It was really a rather elegant concept, you know, using technology to get away from technology.”
“Elegant,” Honor snorted, and the Admiral chuckled again.
“Unfortunately, they got a nasty surprise at journey’s end. Grayson’s a pretty nice place in many ways, but it’s a high-density world with unusual concentrations of heavy metals, and there isn’t a single native plant or animal that won’t kill any human who eats it for very long. Which meant, of course—"
“That they couldn’t abandon technology and survive,” Honor finished for him, and he nodded.
“Exactly. Not that they were willing to admit it. In fact, Grayson never did admit it. He lived another ten T-years after their arrival, and every year the end of technology was just around the corner, but there was a fellow named Mayhew who saw the writing on the wall a lot sooner. According to what I can dig out of the records, he more or less allied with another man, a Captain Yanakov, who’d commanded the colony ship, and the two of them pulled off a sort of doctrinal revolution after Grayson’s death. Technology itself wasn’t evil, just the way it had been used on Old Earth. What mattered wasn’t the machine but the ungodly lifestyle machine-age humanity had embraced.”

--snip--

“That wasn’t quite as funny as I thought it would be. But the situation’s even less funny. You see, Masada, the habitable planet of the Endicott System, was settled from Grayson, and not exactly voluntarily. What started as a schism over the retention of technology turned down other paths once it became clear they couldn’t survive without it. The original pro-Tech faction became ‘Moderates,’ and the anti-Techies became ‘the Faithful.’ Once the Faithful were forced to accept that they couldn’t get rid of the machines, they turned to creating the perfect godly society, and if you think the present government of Grayson is a bit backward, you should see what they came up with! Dietary laws, ritual cleansing for every imaginable sin—law codes that made any deviation from the True Way punishable by stoning, for God’s sake!
Note that the first generation deaths would not have been so severe if they stayed on ship, but a colony ship does not have facilities to house all those people ; unless most are in cryo-chambers.

I do not have an electronic copy of The Honorverse Companion (published with House of Steel), but the sections in Grayson History on "Colonial Period" and "Consolidation" make it clear that the ship was only preserved against opposition and the original shuttles only worked for about 50 years (but the lab in that ship may be the source of the genetic engineering that gave people a chance to live on the planet). It was only in "Expansion" that Grayson began to reaquire a space presence that had been lost when the shuttles died. "Civil War" nearly destroyed all the space based industry, but one orbital remained and could deliver kinettic strikes against the Faithful. That ability enabled the agreement to send the Faithful to Masada.

From chapter 8 of The Honor of the Queen:
He paused and sipped at his brandy, then sighed.
“We’ve had almost a thousand years to adapt to our environment, and my tolerance for heavy metals like arsenic and cadmium is far higher than your own, but look at us. We’re small and wiry, with bad teeth, fragile bones, and a life expectancy of barely seventy years. We monitor the toxicity of our farmland daily, we distill every drop of water we drink, and still we suffer massive levels of neural damage, mental retardation, and birth defects. Even the air we breathe is our enemy; our third most common cause of death is lung cancer-lung cancer, seventeen centuries after Lao Than perfected his vaccine! And we face all of that, Admiral, all those health hazards and consequences, despite nine hundred years—almost a millennium—of adaptation. Can you truly imagine what it was like for the first generation? Or the second?”
He shook his head sadly, staring down into his brandy.
“Our first generation averaged one live birth in three. Of the babies born living, half were too badly damaged to survive infancy, and our survival was so precarious there was no possible way to divert resources to keep them alive. So we practiced euthanasia, instead, and ‘sent them home to God.’ “

--snip--

“Exactly,” Yanakov sighed. “Understand me, Admiral. The Founding Fathers weren’t monsters, nor am I trying to excuse my people for being what they are. We’re no less the product of our past than your own people are. This is the only culture, the only society, we’ve ever known, and we seldom question it. I pride myself on my knowledge of history, yet truth to tell, I never thought this deeply about it until I was forced up against the differences between us and you, and I suspect few Graysons ever really delve deep enough to understand how and why we became what we are. Is it different for Manticorans?”
“No. No, it’s not.”
“I thought not. But those early days were terrible ones for us. Even before Reverend Grayson’s death, women were already becoming not wives but chattels. The mortality rate was high among men, too, and there’d been fewer of them to begin with, and biology played another trick on us. Our female births outnumber male by three to one; if we were to sustain a viable population, every potential father had to begin begetting children as soon as possible and spread his genes as widely as he could before Grayson killed him, so our households grew. And as they grew, family became everything and the patriarch’s authority became absolute. It was a survival trait which tied in only too well with our religious beliefs. After a century, women weren’t even people—not really. They were property. Bearers of children. The promise of a man’s physical continuation in a world which offered him a life expectancy of less than forty years of backbreaking toil, and our efforts to create a godly society institutionalized that.”

--snip--

“After the first three centuries, things had changed. We’d lost an enormous amount of our technology, of course. Reverend Grayson and his First Elders had planned for that to happen—that was the entire point of making the journey—and they’d deliberately left behind the teachers and text books, the essential machinery that might have supported the physical sciences. We were fortunate the Church hadn’t regarded the life sciences with the same distrust, but even there we were desperately short of the specialists we needed. Unlike Manticore, no one even knew where we were, or cared, and because they didn’t, no Warshawski sail ship called here until barely two hundred years ago. Our colony ship left Old Earth five hundred years before Manticore’s founders, so our starting point was five centuries cruder than yours, and no one came to teach us the new technologies that might have saved us. The fact that we survived at all is the clearest possible evidence that there truly is a God, Admiral Courvosier, but we’d been smashed down to bedrock. We had only bits and pieces, and when we began to build upon them we found ourselves face to face with the worst danger of all: schism.”

--snip--

My own ancestor, Hugh Yanakov, commanded our colony ship, and he tried to hang onto at least a limited space capability, but the First Elders had smashed the cryo installations immediately after we planeted. It was their equivalent of burning their boats behind them, committing themselves and their descendants to their new home. I doubt they would have done it if they’d been more scientifically educated, but they weren’t. And since the ship couldn’t take us away, our desperate straits left us no choice but to cannibalize it.
“So we were here to live or die, and somehow, we’d lived. Yet by the time of the Civil War, we’d reached the point where we could once more build crude, chem-fueled sublight ships. They were far less advanced than the one which had brought us here, with no cryo capability, but they could make the round trip to Endicott in twelve or fifteen years. We’d even sent an expedition there and discovered what today is Masada.
“Masada has an axial inclination of over forty degrees, and its weather is incredibly severe compared to Grayson, but humans can eat its plants and animals. They can live without worrying about lead and mercury poisoning from simply breathing its dust. Most of our people would have given all they owned to move there, and they couldn’t. We didn’t have the capability to move that many people. But when the Civil War ended with a handful of fanatics threatening to blow up the entire planet, we could move them to Masada.”
He laughed again, harshly and more mirthlessly even than before.
“Think about it, Admiral. We had to cast them out, and the only place to which we could banish them was infinitely better than where all the rest of us had to remain! There were barely fifty thousand of them, and under the peace settlement’s terms, we equipped them as lavishly as we could and sent them off, and then the rest of us turned to making the best we could of Grayson.”
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:55 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

That's not exactly accurate. Yes, it's true that Yildun is not cut off from trade with the rest of the Galaxy and can just order anything it can't produce locally. But what this tells us is not that Yildun couldn't produce something if it really needed, it's that it chooses not to. It's cheaper to order stuff via hyperspace and a freighter. There are probably dozens of merchant ships that arrive at Yildun every week, so the transportation costs are low enough.

Unless they have supply-chain issues and the containers are backed up in their own ports... :)

But that does not lead to the conclusion that a system cannot be self-sufficient. We live in one that is right now. ALL the colonies mankind will have founded in the first millennium PD would also be each self-sufficient, because until the impeller and the Warshawskis were invented in the 13th century PD, hyperspace trade wasn't cheap.

Yes, Grayson had to but not because that's an inherent necessity of any colonisation. The problem is, as others have pointed out and shown textev for, that the Grayson population left Earth in order to live a technology-free life and they destroyed much of their technology upon arriving. They always intended to live on the planet and made sure that's the only way they could live, from the get-go. They would have planned a colony ship with cryo chambers but not space-building machinery. So when they arrived and revived the people, they really had shortage of space and food production.

But that's not the only way colonisation can be done. In fact, that's one of the most stupid ways it can be done, as both Grayson and Manticore show: there may be something wrong with your planet that you didn't know. It might be that those are the minority though, but even given a half-percent chance that your new habitable world is going to have a nasty surprise (pathogen, toxins, predators, weather, geology, asteroid impact, whatever), you should have a life-line in space. The colonisation effort should have started building in space before landing. It should have produced enough living area to accommodate everyone they're going to revive plus a buffer. It should have created the food production facilities to feed everyone, plus a safety margin again.

And if they can do that, then there's no reason why they need a habitable planet in the first place.

Quite right. So when Elon Musk talks about having people living on Mars for the sake of humanity's future, you have to imagine what would happen to them should something happen to Earth. Where are they going to get the replacement parts for their machinery? Where are they going to get the tools that make those parts? And where do they get the tools that make the microchips for the machines that make those parts?

That's not to say it can't be done. If the MAlign had needed a hideaway on a system without an inhabitable planet, they could have done so. They had already set up two systems that were largely self-sufficient and the Galton inhabitable planet wasn't very pleasant to live on anyway. So it's entirely possible to do it to any system, with or without a planet to live on. The space resources are actually far more important.

That actually means the choice of the Galton system was, in hindsight, a poor one. While Darius was serendipity, Galton was chosen because of a survey report finding an inhabitable planet there. If the MAlign had needed a hideaway, they shouldn't have chosen something that had been surveyed. There are hundreds of millions of systems available for them with no inhabitable planet and having never been surveyed. They could have chosen any one of those, and could have chosen a better one: closer to the wormhole routes they had needed instead of 200-light-years off-course, and with a plentiful asteroid/rubble belt. And it would never have been found.

Galton wasn't chosen for its strategic location and capabilities. It was chosen because the MAlign leaders at the time had the blinders on and wanted a planet to live on and to rule the Galaxy from.

Galton was self-sufficient for over a century. There's no question that they could survive if left alone.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But that does not lead to the conclusion that a system cannot be self-sufficient. We live in one that is right now. ALL the colonies mankind will have founded in the first millennium PD would also be each self-sufficient, because until the impeller and the Warshawskis were invented in the 13th century PD, hyperspace trade wasn't cheap.

Well they were certainly intended to be self-sufficient. And the ones that survived until the point interstellar trade became economically certainly proved that they had been self-sufficient.

But there was probably at least one failed colony where, despite their plans, they weren't able to remain self-sufficient and simply died off before hyperspace travel became safe.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But that does not lead to the conclusion that a system cannot be self-sufficient. We live in one that is right now. ALL the colonies mankind will have founded in the first millennium PD would also be each self-sufficient, because until the impeller and the Warshawskis were invented in the 13th century PD, hyperspace trade wasn't cheap.

You are absolutely correct ThinksMarkedly. I don't know what I was thinking. I was reminded of one of my other favorite sci-fi authors. Kim Stanley Robinson and the Mars Trilogy. It is said to be a Bible on terraforming. All fact and no fiction contained inside of what is possible now. It is so realistic that my one sister who absolutely abhors sci-fi likes it. "Anymore like this?" She asks.

At any rate, I must absolutely agree with you on that subject.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Well they were certainly intended to be self-sufficient. And the ones that survived until the point interstellar trade became economically certainly proved that they had been self-sufficient.

But there was probably at least one failed colony where, despite their plans, they weren't able to remain self-sufficient and simply died off before hyperspace travel became safe.

Well, yeah!

Which is why a colony expedition should mitigate those issues by not waking people up until the food production facilities and industry is up and running to a self-sustaining level. They should wake up people in phases, those who are needed to set those up, and carefully examine the surplus and backup plans before moving to the next phase.

The expeditions that wake up everyone within a month of arriving aren't very well-planned.

Calvin's expedition, for having no suitable diversion plans, was very poorly planned. Why the hell did they even decelerate into the system? Grayson was another nut-job. Manticore almost failed over the Plague Years. And the New Berlin colony prior to Gustav Anderman is another example. Darwin is almost surely rolling in his tomb for those people having survived...

Beowulf and Haven on the other hand appear to have been very well-planned and successful at that.

Return to Honorverse