Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 137 guests

Pawn - Q7 ... Checkmate?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Pawn - Q7 ... Checkmate?
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:All companies have shareholders unless you have enormous pockets. Even then you still want shareholders because even though shareholders share the profit, they also share the risk. You don't want to lose a billion dollars of your own capital.

So you think the Mesan Alignment (a terrorist organization) will have shareholders to share the risk! How does that work?

Let's assume that at one point, long long ago, the Mesan Alignment had shareholders. Why wouldn't everyone (except the Detweilers) exchange those shares for ones in real businesses? You know, so they could get dividends and buy or sell those shares openly?

:o

For many reasons. One, the MA is the owner of many companies. Very successful companies! They made a killing (literally in many instances) on the sex slaves. But that Mesan business had other benefits, namely, it allowed them to bribe and get their hooks into many people who had perversions. For instance, people in the SLN. Tit for Tat. (pun intended)

But mainly because they all have the same vision which supercedes the profit.

Think about it tlb. In the beginning there was only one man, Leonard Detweiler, with a vision. How deep do you think his pockets were? He was setting up a lab, buying galactic real estate, bribing people to doctor maps, etc. If I were him, I would approach other people who think like I do. Other people who hated the Beowulf Code and those damn pesky Havenites. At any rate, a centuries long endeavor took a lot of seed capital. And all kinds of resources and favors that money cannot buy. But LOTS of money can. Do you think Leonard Detweiler was like the billionaire Bruce Wayne?

At any rate, a long term plan to rule the Galaxy is its own reward. The promise of power, prestige and vengeance. And the promise of lots of cash to wipe your arse with later.

When they begin selling the fruits of their labor, they will truly be filthy stinking rich. Instead of just stinky.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:43 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote: In the beginning there was only one man, Leonard Detweiler, with a vision. How deep do you think his pockets were? He was setting up a lab, buying galactic real estate, bribing people to doctor maps, etc. If I were him, I would approach other people who think like I do. Other people who hated the Beowulf Code and those damn pesky Havenites. At any rate, a centuries long endeavor took a lot of seed capital. And all kinds of resources and favors that money cannot buy. But LOTS of money can. Do you think Leonard Detweiler was like the billionaire Bruce Wayne?

That might not be a bad analogy, but Leonard Detweiler did not create that Mesan Alignment; his plan was much more benign. The Benign Alignment we read about on Mesa is much closer to his vision. It was his descendants that subverted the plan to one of universal domination and by then they were rich enough to create the Alignment in secret and build it to the strength that it has today.

PS: I doubt that it was him that paid to doctor maps for Galton (which occurred less than 300 years ago).
Another quote from that chapter in Storm from the Shadows, points to when the Detweilers went underground:
Albrecht nodded slowly. Renzo Kyprianou was in charge of bio-weapons research and development and a member of the Mesan Strategy Council. At the moment, however, not even the Strategy Council knew everything the Alignment was up to.
Not surprisingly, I suppose, he mused, given that the Alignment's always been so much of a . . . family business.
His lips twitched in an almost-smile at the thought, and he wondered how many members of the Strategy Council had figured out just how close he truly was to his "sons."
The official demise of the Detweiler line had been part of the strategy designed to divert the galaxy's—and especially Beowulf's—attention from Leonard Detweiler's determination to uplift human genetics in general. The Detweilers had been too strongly and fiercely devoted to that goal for too long, and the apparent—and spectacular—assassination of the "last" Detweiler heir by greedy elements on the Manpower Incorporated board of directors had punctuated the fact that the increasingly criminal Mesans no longer shared that lofty aspiration. It had also served to get Leonard's descendants safely beneath anyone else's radar, of course, but its most useful function had been to help explain and justify Mesa's switch to the full-bore exploitation of genetic slavery by Manpower. The steady, ongoing improvement of the alignment's own genomes had been buried under Manpower's R&D programs and camouflaged as little more than surface improvements in physical beauty.
But whatever the rest of humanity might have thought, the Detweiler line was far from extinct. In fact, the Detweiler genome was one of the—if not the—most improved within the entire Alignment. And Albrecht Detweiler's "sons" were also his genetic clones. Bardasano, for one, he felt certain, had figured that out, despite how closely held a secret it was supposed to be. It was possible Kyprianou had, as well, given how closely he worked with Daniel. For that matter, Jerome Sandusky might cherish a few suspicions of his own, not that any of that trio was going to breathe a word of any such suspicions to anyone else.
Last edited by tlb on Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Summing up my take on things

I think the BoD run things. And the LRPB is responsible for long term decisions. Grand strategy if you will. They are responsible for the direction of the company. They are the true movers and shakers.

The Detweilers are responsible for short-term strategy and tactics. They interpret how to travel the road outlined by the LRPB. All of their decisions have been short term naval decisions which really would be within their bailiwick.

The splinter group may be a result of internecine politics fueled by the fear and disgust of huge errors by the Detweilers. Which I find amusing since the Detweilers seem unforgivable and intolerant of those who make mistakes.

But oftentimes in a very large successful business with a lot riding on the line, executives who get more and more powerful as time goes by get together and plot an internal takeover. That could be true of either the LRPB & BoD or the Detweilers.

What I think may happen in the end is that the Detweilers will be fed to the GA just like the Mandarins were.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:57 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Why should we believe that there is a Board of Directors separate from the Detweilers themselves? What if there are no shareholders, but instead the Malign is wholly owned by the Detweilers? What evidence (aside from forum comments about "normal business practice") do we have for a Board of Directors existing?

cthia wrote:You are mistaken. We have seen a BoD. I don't have searchable text at hand, so I can't. But I think it was in one of the Shadow books. The BoD is who gave the go ahead to allow the clones. And since that decision had to be passed along to the BoD, then it seems to imply the hierarchy.

It was probably something along the lines of "Ok, but they get no stock options." Because that could change the balance of power. Or they had limited stock options.

Stock options = controlling interest.

You will, of course, believe whatever you want to believe; with or without evidence. But here you promised there is evidence; so as soon as you can after getting back to your searchable text, please show it to us all. I want to see a Detweiler being subordinate to someone outside the family. Just a mention of stock options, would be better than nothing.

If the clones you talk about are the "sons", we have already seen text in this thread that shows it is a closely held family secret.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:Why should we believe that there is a Board of Directors separate from the Detweilers themselves? What if there are no shareholders, but instead the Malign is wholly owned by the Detweilers? What evidence (aside from forum comments about "normal business practice") do we have for a Board of Directors existing?

cthia wrote:You are mistaken. We have seen a BoD. I don't have searchable text at hand, so I can't. But I think it was in one of the Shadow books. The BoD is who gave the go ahead to allow the clones. And since that decision had to be passed along to the BoD, then it seems to imply the hierarchy.

It was probably something along the lines of "Ok, but they get no stock options." Because that could change the balance of power. Or they had limited stock options.

Stock options = controlling interest.

You will, of course, believe whatever you want to believe; with or without evidence. But here you promised there is evidence; so as soon as you can after getting back to your searchable text, please show it to us all. I want to see a Detweiler being subordinate to someone outside the family. Just a mention of stock options, would be better than nothing.

If the clones you talk about are the "sons", we have already seen text in this thread that shows it is a closely held family secret.

I specifically said that I do NOT have searchable text. Surely you do not expect me to thumb through each volume page by page.

Post by tlb   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:48 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I specifically said that I do NOT have searchable text. Surely you do not expect me to thumb through each volume page by page.

No, what you said was "I don't have searchable text at hand"; which I took to mean that you were away from your main sources. Don't you have the CD-ROM that came with the hardback copy of Mission of Honor? Because it has searchable text for every book published to that point, that is what I use.

If you do not have it, then look here for a copy:
Mission of Honor CD

One thing is that OBS, SVW and HOTQ are only in HTML format. I have found OBS and HOTQ in RTF format on other CDs, but not SVW yet (HTML is searchable the same as the others, it just means using a browser to read it).

Don't we expect the Mesan Alignment to be run by the most alpha of the alpha lines? If so, then isn't this significant?
In fact, the Detweiler genome was one of the—if not the—most improved within the entire Alignment.
Last edited by tlb on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I think that getting close enough to engage the target is possible. Remember the movie Predator? Would he be able to infiltrate the Palace grounds with his unprecedented stealth? We don't know how effective that " stealth cloth" is but it appears to work quite well. It may have the effect of rendering an agent invisible. See the "cloak of invisibility" from Harry Potter. If so, the problem with the guards and the cameras may be solved. Have you ever visited Buckingham Palace? The bulk of the guards are no doubt alert and poised to strike. But they are not making rounds. That appears to be left up to a plethora of surveillance equipment.

I think the stealth cloth will not work against active sensors. It seems to me to basically be a movie screen--project whatever image you want.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:47 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

quote="cthia"]You are mistaken. We have seen a BoD. I don't have searchable text at hand, so I can't. But I think it was in one of the Shadow books. The BoD is who gave the go ahead to allow the clones. And since that decision had to be passed along to the BoD, then it seems to imply the hierarchy.[/quote]
tlb wrote:You will, of course, believe whatever you want to believe; with or without evidence. But here you promised there is evidence; so as soon as you can after getting back to your searchable text, please show it to us all. I want to see a Detweiler being subordinate to someone outside the family. Just a mention of stock options, would be better than nothing.

The passage that cthia talks about does exist. There is a board that approved the creation of Albrecht's "sons" as further clones of him (possibly with further mods, but we don't know).

However, I never got the impression that Albrecht and B through G were subordinate to that board. Especially Albrecht: I get the impression that he's either the chairperson of that board, with extreme influence, or above it. There's no way I can see him being cloned or more copied of him getting decanted without his explicit approval. He had a veto power there.

We can argue whether the Board thinks they are above the operations of B through G. Cthia has a point that they have been shown to be concerned with tactical and operational details. But showing them worrying about and executing the short- and medium-term tasks does not exclude them from also having the long-term thinking as part of their jobs. The only question I can't answer is whether that job is official, de jure, meaning the board attributed to them and maybe even invited them onto said board, or whether it's just de facto because they do it anyway.

Without explicit proof, I think that some of the Detweiler clones are on that board (certainly Albert was, Benjamin, Collin and Daniel seem to be) and that they operate independently as a group outside of it. Like the presidium of the board of directors.
Post by tlb   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:15 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:You will, of course, believe whatever you want to believe; with or without evidence. But here you promised there is evidence; so as soon as you can after getting back to your searchable text, please show it to us all. I want to see a Detweiler being subordinate to someone outside the family. Just a mention of stock options, would be better than nothing.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The passage that cthia talks about does exist. There is a board that approved the creation of Albrecht's "sons" as further clones of him (possibly with further mods, but we don't know).

However, I never got the impression that Albrecht and B through G were subordinate to that board. Especially Albrecht: I get the impression that he's either the chairperson of that board, with extreme influence, or above it.

Do you have a suggestion as to what book you saw this in? It must be after Mission of Honor, because it was not on the CD.

I just found a very interesting thread titled Albrecht and in it (on the first page) there is the following conversation with RFC:
Annachie wrote:I figgured that the boys were clones of Albrecht, but with tweaks to their genetic structure.

Never thought that they were the same.

Interesting.

ldwechsler wrote:It would be nice if they were able to sneak in a few genes from their "mother."

runsforcelery wrote:I think the post from me from 2014 that pappilon quoted above makes it clear that he and his sons are the "current generation" Detweiler genome. That is, the Alignment decided its head was going to need some really capable lieutenants Sometime Real Soon Now and decided to duplicate Albrecht to provide them. This is the first time they've done that, and it represents a response to a specific situation, not their long term policy, which has been to crank in incremental tweaks in each generation.

And also, in each generation, there's been room for "sneaking in a few genes" from a broad range of donors, which may or may not include either or both parents. In the MA's case, though, (and especially in its upper echelons) direct genetic contribution to one's child is often the exception rather than the rule. Which doesn't prevent parent from loving child just as much as any other parent and child in human history.

One might reasonably think of this (at least in terms of intents) as removing random chance from the process of producing children with the object of making each generation as good as it can possibly be. The upside to that should, I think, be obvious. The downside is that, as in the case of the Onion, children wind up designed (literally) for specific roles/tasks/jobs. In that respect, the Onion is no different from Manpower, when you come down to it, which is a deliberate irony on my part.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Do you have a suggestion as to what book you saw this in? It must be after Mission of Honor, because it was not on the CD.

No, sorry. And a quick search for "clone" on the last few books turned up zero relevant results. That said, the post you found does indicate someone approved. It might be this very thread I read before my first post on the forum and I recalled as if it came from the books. What I do remember is that the clones were created because the end goal was in sight and Albrecht did need help... though note that your quote does not say anything about the end being in sight.

However, I also found this on TEiF:

To End in Fire, Ch. March 1923 wrote:With their parents' deaths, leaderships of the entire Alignment had devolved onto Benjamin Detweiler's shoulders, and he would not shirk his responsibilities... or fail the memories of Albrecht and Evelina Detweiler.

This chapter is on Benjamin's POV, so he clearly thinks he's the leader. Whether this BoD thinks so too is actually irrelevant, because he does, for all we've seen. The cast of characters, at the end of the books, says in man books that Albrecht was "Chief Executive Officer of the Mesan Alignment."

This tells me that prior to Benjamin, the Detweiler line was effectively hereditary CEOs of the Alignment, but the Board still had some level of autonomy to make decisions. They did decide to clone ALbrecht... though it might have been because Albrecht told them to decide that. Now, once the clones existed, they operate as a cabal beyond the BoD.

Return to Honorverse