Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 144 guests

She shot him with her finger

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: She shot him with her finger
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:"Our test is inconclusive because the subject consistently used techniques to fool the detector. Even though we consistently warned him. But we are also trained to recognize the techniques. Regardless, the test is inconclusive."

The wife did not get closure as to whether her husband was guilty of infidelity.

That means he did not fool the polygraph. The result was clearly inconclusive. All you've shown is that there are techniques to not incriminate oneself, but not techniques to absolve oneself of blame. That's quite different.

Don't miss the forest for the trees. What it proves is that the machines can be manipulated. Proof of concept. How proficient one becomes at it depends on ones training.

What may be missed is the enormous resources that a government would have. I imagine that even I could learn to beat a lie detector quite easily if I owned a lie detector myself. Then I could provide myself with many hours of practice, honing my skills.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:It also happens naturally. Some people would be psyched out at the very fact that it is a lie detector "test." Tests in general simply freak some people out. They can't remain calm. Some people freak out when taking tests at school even though they know the material quite well. Honor is one of those people when it comes to math.

At any rate, the ability to defeat the polygraph is self-documenting, by the very same reason that polygraph results are legally inadmissible in court.

Fair enough.

But unlike what we're talking about with polygraphs, with people being nervous and therefore screwing up the results or there even being ways to force incorrect conclusions, the treecat lie detection works just fine and reliably. That probably happens in the majority of cases because the subject doesn't know he's being interrogated in the first place, but we've seen treecat-mediated interrogations taking place. Two come to mind, both involving the same treecat: Harahap's original interrogation, when Clear Killer adopted him and became Plays with Fire, and when the duo went to interrogate the corrupt people aboard the slaver station in TEiF. In the first, Harahap did not know that treecats could be used as lie detectors; in the second, he deliberately exaggerated the treecat's capabilities to put the subjects on edge.

In each case it also took a fair amount of time for the Cat to come to a conclusion. A cat needs input. This input can be manipulated by a subject's controlled responses and mindset.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Anderle is an interesting case for certain, but how deeply is he ever questioned?

I don't think he was deeply questioned. But he came into contact with treecats often enough that if he were trying to dissimulate, that would have been picked up. If you're told "don't think about your password," you will be thinking of nothing but your password... So treecats would have picked up at a minimum that he was hiding something that he thought was important and may even detect that it's something that he was hiding from Audrey. That would warrant further attention.

snip

I am not sure if dissimulation will be necessary for a bodyguard. Certainly not of the garden variety MA breed. Remember, bodyguards are genengineered. Complete and total concentration is built-in to their programming. Their mind is not occupied with "gathering wool," or wandering. They have one track minds. Totally focused on the job at hand.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:However, I am not so certain it will be difficult to devise a test. Just assume that emotions are the key. Even if they do not realize that emotions are what a cat can actually read. Emotions are what the polygraph measures. It should be obvious to an Alpha that emotions must be the missing link. Since animals normally have the ability to sense certain emotions. Like fear. And aggression.

Devising a test is not difficult. The problem is the feedback loop.

It takes way too long to gather data and react to it. It also comes in a trickle, because the MAlign can't subject a hundred different variations of treecat-fooling techniques to treecats and find out which ones work best. It comes contaminated by other data, since agents may not exposed to the treecats, or they may be intercepted by other means. Data may also be lost on the way, since the information pipeline may break down. And whatever data they get, they get as a binary pass or fail, whereas in reality it's a gradation.

Plus, they can't overuse that information pipeline, because it leads directly to Darius. If the intelligence services clue in to it, they'll monitor it and track it. Not to mention that if the intelligence services clue in, they can use counter-intelligence techniques and feed disinformation into the pipeline.

So in conclusion, they could do it, but not in the timeline that we know they're going to be forced to.

But you are only considering a brute force attempt. The MA oftentimes avoids the brute force attempt. They use their brains and not their brawn. Again, they might possibly be able to test the feasibility against their own tech, the suicide protocols.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:True. But as I have stated several times upstream, that may not continue to hold true towards the "end game." A time when their tech should be used with reckless abandon. They may want a short victorious war.

Because that worked well for the peeps?

Benjamin Detweiler thinks it will take more than a century until the plan unfolds. He thinks that he won't be alive to see it and he should have a lifespan, even without prolong, of at least another 150 years. In that time, they could advance the technique, if not perfect it.

The MA does not a Peep make. No more than a Peep a Solarian make.

"Unfold" is a many splendored thing. It might be alluding to the very climactic "end game" involving the RF and their control over the Galaxy. But many other things could happen much sooner.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:A synthetic brain can have no emissions because it can have no emotions. A computer can not be conscious. No consciousness, no emotions. There is no life.

That's not a given. In our reality, it's neither proven nor disproven. It may be against the religious precepts of any number of religions, but religions are not based on science, but faith. That means their precepts are accepted on face value, not based on experimental data. What you or I think the results of any such experiment will be if attempted is not the point. And whether we think experiments should even be attempted is neither the point...

In a work of fiction, the rules are suspended and it's only what the author says it is. If the author says it can happen, then it can.

Anyway, I said the synthetic body will betray no emissions that it wasn't designed to do. There's no reason it can't be designed to emit exactly what a treecat can pick up. We know there's a distributed organ in the treecat body that is a transmitter and receiver, so it stands to reason there's something being transmitted. We also know that humans can both transmit and receive that, somehow. So even if this synthetic body has no soul, it may still be able to pass muster and emit all the necessary noise that would make it be accepted as a real person.

Or like I said, if there were enough of those "oddities" in the population, one couldn't rule them all out as MAlign agents.

I agree, but with reservations and skepticism where time does not permit me to examine.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Man thinks that he can create life by creating consciousness and true intelligence.

But man doesn't think that an entity long ago could have beat him to it. ;)

Whether you're right or not, from those statements we can't conclude that man can't repeat the feat.

Forest and trees!

"Repeat" implies that it, indeed, has been done before. And if it has been done before implies that there is a God. If there is a God then that nullifies any attempt you may make by the very definition of a God.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The limitation of computers is inherited from the limitation of "programming computers," algorithms.

There is a limitation of the application of logic that is inherent in every computer language. IOW, we have an incomplete set of logic tools to use to build algorithms, also something that I have posted several times elsewhere on the forum. It is as follows.

All roads will end at the Entscheidungsproblem

Gödel's Incompleteness theorems

Halting problem.

Daryl wrote:An artificial intelligence could well have emotions if they were designed into it, but not revealing them could also be designed into it.

That is the problem Daryl. How do we go about doing that? It sounds good on paper, but when we set out to do so we run into three very big problems. Listed above. Something else that I constantly point out on this forum.

Before man can "design consciousness," and life, and "true intelligence," (not simply artificial intelligence) into a machine, we must know how to do it ourselves. Before we can ever hope to be able to explain it to a computer using algorithms. Before man can install a stereo system into a car, he first has to be able to build one. And even if man knows how to create consciousness, which we don't. Then the three seemingly insurmountable problems above nails the coffin shut. So, it is not looking good as far as being able to relay the message to a computer, even if we knew how to create life ourself.

There are only two possible ways a computer might become sentient.

1. Man teaches computer how to actually think without being given the answers to all of the possible problems it should incur. Man teaches computer how to be conscious.

The three insurmountable programming problems says this feat is impossible. Even if man knew how himself.

2. The computer somehow figures it out for itself and becomes sentient. That is a possible problem that has roots all the way back to the Final Wars. You may have just created the mother of all problems that is much worse than any type of mutation.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:We know the nanites don't work with emotions, hence the "oh no, I can't believe I'm doing this, what is going on" internal struggle the Honor and the Treecats pick up.

The nanovirus is just triggered muscle memory. It can't do anything much more complex than type the word "seven" into the left keyboard, or pull (your) pistol and spray rounds "that-a-way" when the trigger is sensed.

The assassination attempt of Berry shows how little the nanites do. The gentleman in question was pulled off the street and conditioned for several weeks, drugged, and had the nanites planted- all to do the assassination, and the treecats still could sense he was all screwed up in advance.

We know those nanites can't work with emotions. But there's no reason why further R&D into them couldn't make them work, especially if the subject is not fighting the nanites, but cooperating. A MAlign agent could be injected with those special nanites, which he/she calls upon when facing interrogation and helps them defeat the interrogators' detection apparatuses. Or, better yet, unless a passphrase-thought is given prior to the subject being brought up, they automatically kick in and help the agent.

The problem, as I said in my reply to cthia, is not the ability of the MAlign geneticists and nanite researchers to create such a thing. It's the feedback loop to confirm it works against treecats: they don't have a good sample of treecats (or any treecat at all, for all we know) to test the solutions with. Any such testing involves inserting an agent, which takes time, hoping the agent comes into contact with a treecat in a situation where the treecat would flag the agent as being a liar, then reporting back. You can't insert them in to the general Sphinx population because people generally lie and treecats know that. They wouldn't automatically flag a liar because of a white lie. And they're reclusive, so they won't automatically interact with every stranger who comes to Sphinx and asks to be tested for lying.

There may be a better way of going about this, but the only one I can think of is to get data by being struck down by that very treecat. So the MAlign handlers are basically getting no data back, until some agent reports "it worked." And as I said in my other reply, there are other reasons why this data may not come, so it's contaminated. An agent that would have passed the lie detection may be intercepted on the insertion, may miss the appointment because they had stomachache that day, may not be able to report back because the information pipeline was brought down, or the courier that was bringing that information was itself intercepted, etc.

Again, there might be a better path to enlightenment. And again, the MA should assume that the Cats ability is based on emotions. Which it is. Animals have a natural ability to detect certain emotions like fear. It is a misnomer that an animal can smell your fear. But it is true than an animal can perceive your fear, anxiety, and nervousness. All of which is gained from visual cues. A spy, or diplomat, or a gambler learns to control these visual cues.

But! The MA can test fooling a Treecat by fooling its own suicide protocols when the test subject is asked specific questions. If the new "treatments" prevents the subject from dropping dead, that might be the solution.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:49 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:"Repeat" implies that it, indeed, has been done before. And if it has been done before implies that there is a God. If there is a God then that nullifies any attempt you may make by the very definition of a God.

Not if God allows it to happen; no man can know the mind of God.
cthia wrote:But! The MA can test fooling a Treecat by fooling its own suicide protocols when the test subject is asked specific questions. If the new "treatments" prevents the subject from dropping dead, that might be the solution.

It would be less wasteful if the test subject had nano-tech the merely caused excessive pain for a brief period of time. The subject would have a similar fear of the reaction, but would not be lost to the experimenters after a failure.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Yes, That little dissident group that is recruiting Gail and Zack was a tiny part of TIEF.

Like the tiny movement of a pebble that is the actual start of an avalanche. Almost thrown in as an afterthought

People who just possibly have long since come to the realization that Jack McBride did and that we can speculate that Gail and Zack are going down the same lines of thought. As Gail lets us know- in her head- she can't allow herself to have the thoughts she was having when breathing her head against why the fictional object system of the war-game was going to both lose and probably get destroyed (even if they allowed her to use all the weapons and tactics she knows about) despite the significant strength and clearly important manufacturing capability.

Or do we discover that the Alphanes (spelling challange) have been watching and decide that soon is a good time to come out of the Event Horizon they have been hiding and sort out these humans before they mess up too much more realestate? Oh, wait, that's a differnt universe...sorry.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:52 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia"Don't miss the forest for the trees. What it proves is that the machines can be manipulated. Proof of concept. How proficient one becomes at it depends on ones training.

What may be missed is the enormous resources that a government would have. I imagine that even I could learn to beat a lie detector quite easily if I owned a lie detector myself. Then I could provide myself with many hours of practice, honing my skills.[/quote[

I'm not convinced, but it's a moot point because we're not talking about using polygraphs anyway.

[quote="cthia wrote:
In each case it also took a fair amount of time for the Cat to come to a conclusion. A cat needs input. This input can be manipulated by a subject's controlled responses and mindset.

I don't see the point you're trying to make here. So it takes time. What's the consequence?

I'd say that makes experimentation even worse, because the result is not immediate but instead takes long-term exposure.

As for Michael Anderle, he did have sufficient exposure to treecats, for a couple of months.

cthia wrote:I am not sure if dissimulation will be necessary for a bodyguard. Certainly not of the garden variety MA breed. Remember, bodyguards are genengineered. Complete and total concentration is built-in to their programming. Their mind is not occupied with "gathering wool," or wandering. They have one track minds. Totally focused on the job at hand.

That's a dangerous situation. The MAlign would not insert someone as Audrey O'Hanrahan's bodyguard into the top echelon of GA intelligence, subject to 24/7 monitoring, and capabilities unknown of treecats, if they didn't think he'd pass muster as a "top echelon but otherwise ordinary" bodyguard. If he has a concentration that is way off the average or median of humans, the treecats will pick that up too.

No, neither Michael Anderle nor Audrey herself can't be more than "export versions" of the Mesan Star Lines. They're way too visible. They're way too exposed. They're good enough to give them top 10% general health, top 10% intelligence, top 10% hand-eye coordination, etc., but not Top 1% or Top 0.1%.

cthia wrote:But you are only considering a brute force attempt. The MA oftentimes avoids the brute force attempt. They use their brains and not their brawn. Again, they might possibly be able to test the feasibility against their own tech, the suicide protocols.

Sure, I agree. I even said that there may be better ways, but I couldn't think of any. What do you suggest they do?

cthia wrote:Forest and trees!

"Repeat" implies that it, indeed, has been done before. And if it has been done before implies that there is a God. If there is a God then that nullifies any attempt you may make by the very definition of a God.

Unless He granted us that right and ability. See tlb's reply. But I don't want to discuss religion here.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:53 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Or do we discover that the Alphanes (spelling challange) have been watching and decide that soon is a good time to come out of the Event Horizon they have been hiding and sort out these humans before they mess up too much more realestate? Oh, wait, that's a differnt universe...sorry.

Have you been reading the fake spoilers thread? :)

A superdreadnought crewed by treecats would be nice, though.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:"Repeat" implies that it, indeed, has been done before. And if it has been done before implies that there is a God. If there is a God then that nullifies any attempt you may make by the very definition of a God.

Not if God allows it to happen; no man can know the mind of God.

Free Will will enable man's attempt. But whether the results are human remains to be seen.

If there is a God, then man is made after God's image, as the Bible says. Can man create life made after God's image?

If this new creature is made from a real man, and the man's contact with God is killed, then that is murder. Godly? No. Human? Questionable.

Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:Or do we discover that the Alphanes (spelling challange) have been watching and decide that soon is a good time to come out of the Event Horizon they have been hiding and sort out these humans before they mess up too much more realestate? Oh, wait, that's a differnt universe...sorry.

Have you been reading the fake spoilers thread? :)

A superdreadnought crewed by treecats would be nice, though.

Nice for whom?

<To Dancing on Clouds! And no mercy!> :lol:

Post by tlb   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:11 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Not if God allows it to happen; no man can know the mind of God.

cthia wrote:Free Will will enable man's attempt. But whether the results are human remains to be seen.

If there is a God, then man is made after God's image, as the Bible says. Can man create life made after God's image?

If this new creature is made from a real man, and the man's contact with God is killed, then that is murder. Godly? No. Human? Questionable.

You take as an axiom that only God can create an intelligent being and by a nice piece of circular reasoning use the existence of intelligent beings to "prove" the existence of God. As "proofs" go, that is about on par with the rest (for example: "the Act of Creation implies a Creator"). But then as I said, that only means that Man cannot create an intelligence being without the aid of God.

I expect that if such a thing were attempted, it would be in the image of man; which as you say, would be indirectly in the image of God. However no one has ever said the result would be human and it would certainly not be made from a human (what would be the point of that?). Would God allow it? Well, man has been allowed to create weapons that are destructive enough to cripple the planet, so I see no reason to think this would be forbidden.

Some people that talk about the Singularity, talk as though this would allow a dying man to load himself into an android or robot (perhaps by moving the brain into a bio-support system within the android - as in Robocop) and so allow him to continue existence for as long as the result could be maintained. This is not the same thing as creating intelligent life.

I doubt that either can be achieved.

My favorite proof is the Ontological one; it fails, but more creatively than most proofs do.

PS. Free Will has nothing to do with whether things will be attempted; it only speaks to whether the attempts and results are foretold or not.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Not if God allows it to happen; no man can know the mind of God.

cthia wrote:Free Will will enable man's attempt. But whether the results are human remains to be seen.

tlb wrote:You take as an axiom that only God can create an intelligent being

Ok, I will allow that slightly inaccurate characterization of me. But I will clean up a bit downstairs.

tlb wrote:and by a nice piece of circular reasoning use the existence of intelligent beings to "prove" the existence of God.

It appears that I am going to have a much bigger mess than I anticipated when I get downstairs.

Downstairs ... ... ...

tlb wrote:As "proofs" go, that is about on par with the rest (for example: "the Act of Creation implies a Creator").

Every time I come across this in academia, it makes me want to sue my teachers, or choke them. Because they all taught me that the root word of creation... is create. Hello? Anybody home?

If God didn't create creation, then tell me who did. Or tell me "what" did. And I will gladly strip the title from God and bestow it upon "whomever it may concern." Or to "what it may concern." I'm flexible.

tlb wrote:But then as I said, that only means that Man cannot create an intelligence being without the aid of God.

That is my point. It is what I have been saying the entire thread. Man cannot create life. Certainly not with our present know-how, and with our present tools.

tlb wrote:I expect that if such a thing were attempted, it would be in the image of man; which as you say, would be indirectly in the image of God. However no one has ever said the result would be human
Pardon my bold to call attention.

Again, that is the gist of this thread. Are we fleeing the sanctity, and the creation, of the thread again?

tlb wrote:and it would certainly not be made from a human (what would be the point of that?).

Yes, I guess we are leaving the sanctity of the thread again and venturing out on a limb. The thread being the shell of a man. The "ship's hull" if you will. The premise of this thread then adds implants and augmentations to this shell until it achieves its final product. Man NEEDS to use A MAN as the starting blocks. We can't reinvent the wheel. We have to plagiarize someone else's work. We can't grow life from dirt.

tlb wrote:Would God allow it? Well, man has been allowed to create weapons that are destructive enough to cripple the planet, so I see no reason to think this would be forbidden.

Again. Free Will.

God forbids many things. As parents often do. And it oftentimes falls on deaf ears. As kids often have. Shrug.

tlb wrote:Some people that talk about the Singularity, talk as though this would allow a dying man to load himself into an android or robot (perhaps by moving the brain into a bio-support system within the android - as in Robocop) and so allow him to continue existence for as long as the result could be maintained. This is not the same thing as creating intelligent life.

I agree, and that should be a given. We went over that upstream. And I think it is possible in man's future. But that entire operation is simply an advanced form of the thread's "prosthetics." What, 95% of the body 'bout right? Again, possible. But I don't think man would choose that option unless as a last resort. As I also mentioned upstream. I think dying is a last resort. And even then, I would expect there to be some people who would rather die than live like that. Just let me die.

tlb wrote:I doubt that either can be achieved.

My favorite proof is the Ontological one; it fails, but more creatively than most proofs do.

PS. Free Will has nothing to do with whether things will be attempted; it only speaks to whether the attempts and results are foretold or not.

I was a sounding board for a professor who was writing a book... covering Ontology. Proof. And Cultural Consciousness.

Free Will has to do with whether things CAN be attempted.

Return to Honorverse