Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

Battle of Hypatia questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Battle of Hypatia questions
Post by Joat42   » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:46 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Relax wrote:Radiation shielding is fixed to exterior of ships as shown by Honor at Cerberus where RFC says the radiation shielding was warped, melted, slagged, and buckled(and exterior) when a certain ship blew up too close to others.

The ships have passive and active shielding, which at Cerberus was overwhelmed when a ship blew up in close proximity.

Relax wrote:That being said... Are you honestly telling everyone here, ~2000 years from now people do not know how to use LEAD in the Honorverse for even CRUDE particle shielding? Let alone vastly superior pre existing Honorverse particle shielding using far less mass?¨

I see you conflate passive and active shielding. You are entirely free to put on led shielding as a radiation shield while traveling at low relativistic speeds. You might become a bit hot and bothered by how poor the led will perform though.

Relax wrote:They have only been using PODS for 15+ years now are you honestly going to say that every single captain of every single ship does NOT want those attached to his hull? As if the crews going to long distance foreign stations would not throw their own $$$ at slapping on dirt cheap LEAD plating on a pod or 4 just to have long range hitting power.

I think you are under the misapprehension that there isn't pods that can ride on the hull, there are. The Andermani introduced the limpet-style pods in 1918PD I think.

The pods we where discussing are standard pods which aren't designed to ride on the hull for an extended time. Adding extra shielding to those means they now differ from the pods carried internally which seems a tad stupid when you could just have used limpet-style pods from the beginning.

Also, to reiterate, led isn't the most practical material to use as radiation shielding, especially on missile pods. Have you even considered the amount of led you would need to use? The pods for the Mk.23's has a guesstimated external area about ~2000m² (based on GR missile being 30m long), adding say 1cm of led-shielding all around the pod means adding ~220 metric tons of led... and that's just for ONE pod.

Relax wrote:Not to mention there are supposedly Tens of thousands of pods sitting at the junction being bombarded by radiation for months ~ years at a time.

None which are traveling at relativistic speeds or in hyperspace with its high flux. Also, if I don't misremember those where system defense pods designed for long-term deployment and as such they are probably a lot bigger than standard pods.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:59 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
Relax wrote:Radiation shielding is fixed to exterior of ships as shown by Honor at Cerberus where RFC says the radiation shielding was warped, melted, slagged, and buckled(and exterior) when a certain ship blew up too close to others.

The ships have passive and active shielding, which at Cerberus was overwhelmed when a ship blew up in close proximity.
Relax wrote:Not to mention there are supposedly Tens of thousands of pods sitting at the junction being bombarded by radiation for months ~ years at a time.

None which are traveling at relativistic speeds or in hyperspace with its high flux. Also, if I don't misremember those where system defense pods designed for long-term deployment and as such they are probably a lot bigger than standard pods.

The passive shielding is the armor and the active particle/radiation shielding is a field. All of this was discussed in earlier posts in this thread.

There have also been pointers to posts by RFC about how system defense pods differ from ordinary ship-borne pods (including having their own radiation shielding, which ordinary pods lack).
Post by Relax   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
Relax wrote:They have only been using PODS for 15+ years now are you honestly going to say that every single captain of every single ship does NOT want those attached to his hull? As if the crews going to long distance foreign stations would not throw their own $$$ at slapping on dirt cheap LEAD plating on a pod or 4 just to have long range hitting power.

Also, to reiterate, led isn't the most practical material to use as radiation shielding, especially on missile pods. Have you even considered the amount of led you would need to use? The pods for the Mk.23's has a guesstimated external area about ~2000m² (based on GR missile being 30m long), adding say 1cm of led-shielding all around the pod means adding ~220 metric tons of led... and that's just for ONE pod.

Yes, one can use other materials... Why one uses examples everyone is familiar with to show certain absurdities.

And no, you do not have to cover the entire pod anymore than one covers satellites today. At most only two faces of the pod in the direction of forward/aft for flipping acceleration. And not even that as only a small number of components inside need protecting. Of course main particle shielding is done by the ship's screen not the physical portion of the pod/ship. So, at this point, WHY would they bother with different types of pods when system defense pods are required and REMOVING the radiation shielding from the manufacturing process is more complicated than just having a single manufacturing line which does everything.

Besides: tonnage inside compensator field does not matter. Anything inside said compensator field, its mass does not matter as we saw when SD's carrying Mtons of pods on their hull at AAC 1st Manticore and not have any degradation of acceleration... Just needs a slightly bit more power RFC has said. Tonnage is a Compensator volume of space now instead of a physical tonnage as we have thought previously in the books.

The only problem with long duration of said pods is its power source with the "plasma" required... One does ask... what T&P? and just how exactly is that T&P converted to electricity? And if so, why can it not be done in reverse? Electricity creating plasma. And how exactly is that plasma going to supply more energy than just using superconductors via a powercord? Maybe the design analysis shows that there is no difference in danger between battle damaged superconductors and plasma conduits and why no one even bothered to think about the need for giant power conduits on surface of a ship. So why convert plasma to electricity just to change back to plasma for the plasma conductors of missiles. Of course RMN has been toting pods around for 15+ years and someone should have seen the need for their lighter units to have a bigger punch initially

cheers

PS: How can a normal civi ship hand off pods to ships if they supposedly have to charged with Plasma first and they do not have these plasma conduits... Inquiring minds want to know... Monica, Congo, Battles that happened off screen such as Zanzibar and the PR civil war where RFC gives hints of freighters full of pods. Explanation can be that ALL said freighters had said plasma conduits added quickly... and if you CAN add said plasma conduits so damned quickly... why could you not do so to a warships exterior out of its dorsal/ventral boat bays who ALREADY have said PLASMA conduits for said Communication Recon drones. It is not as if said conduit gets hit on the exterior if the ship cares. After all those pods are most likely already used and not your primary weapons anyways.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Relax   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

TLB: IF I could give you a major THUMBS UP :!: on your previous post on page 1 I would. Instead I give this post as kudos instead.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:PS: How can a normal civi ship hand off pods to ships if they supposedly have to charged with Plasma first and they do not have these plasma conduits... Inquiring minds want to know... Monica, Congo, Battles that happened off screen such as Zanzibar and the PR civil war where RFC gives hints of freighters full of pods. Explanation can be that ALL said freighters had said plasma conduits added quickly... and if you CAN add said plasma conduits so damned quickly... why could you not do so to a warships exterior out of its dorsal/ventral boat bays who ALREADY have said PLASMA conduits for said Communication Recon drones. It is not as if said conduit gets hit on the exterior if the ship cares. After all those pods are most likely already used and not your primary weapons anyways.

It might be a structural weakness problem. Civilian ships aren't armoured and expected to survive being shot at. So running plasma and/or electrical conduits through the hull is not a big deal.

On a warship, doing so could weaken the structure and thus make the ship more fragile.

But we have to remember the broadsides have dozens of tunnels, for the graser power sources, the PDLC cords and for the missile tubes. So I don't see how having smoe more for the pods' plasma taps could make this significantly worse.

Just how many limpet pods can a CA carry? We're not talking here about tractored and donkey pods, as those will affect acceleration and are expected to have a limited life-time. I'm asking about those attached to the hull on inter-system transits.
Post by kzt   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

A plasma conduit is a big deal. Anything full of something that is tens of millions of degree at hundred to thousands of bar can't leak. Well, it can leak, but it's going to cut very deep hole in whatever is in front of it, getting wider milisecond by milisecond. Then the conduit fails and you get the practical equivalent of a nuclear weapon going off inside the hull.

And then the Squadron CO gets to write a lot of letters to next of kin.
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:How can a normal civi ship hand off pods to ships if they supposedly have to charged with Plasma first and they do not have these plasma conduits... Inquiring minds want to know... Monica, Congo, Battles that happened off screen such as Zanzibar and the PR civil war where RFC gives hints of freighters full of pods. Explanation can be that ALL said freighters had said plasma conduits added quickly... and if you CAN add said plasma conduits so damned quickly... why could you not do so to a warships exterior out of its dorsal/ventral boat bays who ALREADY have said PLASMA conduits for said Communication Recon drones. It is not as if said conduit gets hit on the exterior if the ship cares. After all those pods are most likely already used and not your primary weapons anyways.

I think we have discussed in the past that military supply ships (not civilian ones) might have the plasma conduits to charge the pods that are ready to be released. However if a civilian supply ship were used then the first military ship to handle the pod would most likely have to do that.

Relax wrote:TLB: IF I could give you a major THUMBS UP :!: on your previous post on page 1 I would. Instead I give this post as kudos instead.

Thank you, that is very kind. Let me take some time to apologize for the last argument that I had with you, because we were talking at cross purposes and I am embarrassed that I did not recognize that was the case and express myself more clearly. As you probably remember, it was about the problem with the p-38 fighting at high altitude during winter over Germany. The troubles stemmed from the Allison engines needing turbochargers, because they lacked the superb supercharger used by the Merlin and Packard engines. In the extreme cold the turbo set-up had mechanical difficulties, which were not present in the much warmer air war in the Pacific. You took me as saying that the Allison lacked a supercharger (it did have a single stage one) and I kept brushing you off, because it was inadequate to get to the heights where the Army specified a turbocharger needed to be added (which was my point of interest). The problem as I should have stated it before,was not that it lacked a supercharger; but that it lacked a multi-stage supercharger that could have boosted it to the same heights as the Merlin.

Here is the thread where we discussed freighter delivering pods:
"UC: TUFT Capacities"
Last edited by tlb on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Relax   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:A plasma conduit is a big deal. Anything full of something that is tens of millions of degree at hundred to thousands of bar can't leak. Well, it can leak, but it's going to cut very deep hole in whatever is in front of it, getting wider milisecond by milisecond. Then the conduit fails and you get the practical equivalent of a nuclear weapon going off inside the hull.

And then the Squadron CO gets to write a lot of letters to next of kin.

Gets back to my Q... What T & P... Center of sun or surface...??? Big ass difference. Which begs the question... why can't a superconductor transmit same amount of power?

The "out" is that the "fusion" capacitors cannot be reverse charged from electricity, or are slow to do so.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Relax   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:47 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Relax wrote:PS: How can a normal civi ship hand off pods to ships if they supposedly have to charged with Plasma first and they do not have these plasma conduits... Inquiring minds want to know... Monica, Congo, Battles that happened off screen such as Zanzibar and the PR civil war where RFC gives hints of freighters full of pods. Explanation can be that ALL said freighters had said plasma conduits added quickly... and if you CAN add said plasma conduits so damned quickly... why could you not do so to a warships exterior out of its dorsal/ventral boat bays who ALREADY have said PLASMA conduits for said Communication Recon drones. It is not as if said conduit gets hit on the exterior if the ship cares. After all those pods are most likely already used and not your primary weapons anyways.

It might be a structural weakness problem. Civilian ships aren't armoured and expected to survive being shot at. So running plasma and/or electrical conduits through the hull is not a big deal.

On a warship, doing so could weaken the structure and thus make the ship more fragile.

But we have to remember the broadsides have dozens of tunnels, for the graser power sources, the PDLC cords and for the missile tubes. So I don't see how having smoe more for the pods' plasma taps could make this significantly worse.

Just how many limpet pods can a CA carry? We're not talking here about tractored and donkey pods, as those will affect acceleration and are expected to have a limited life-time. I'm asking about those attached to the hull on inter-system transits.

Why I brought up the fact that boat bays on dorsal/ventral portion of ships which are unarmored, have said fusion conduits in them to charge up RD's etc. Said conduit is already AT the top/bottom of the ships in question. It is unarmored up there. No reason one could not extend that conduit from the boat bays to pod attachment points.

How many Pods can a CA carry? Since Compensator fields are a Volume; depends on depth of the Compensator field to hide said pods in so it will not effect its acceleration. So, handwavium tool kit for our Author, but SAG-(~500kton) is 40 pods I do believe from SoSAG. I also believe in HAE, Mars class CA's ~@600kt ship, pod totals are given as well but my brain cannot pull the number up.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Relax   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:09 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Relax wrote:TLB: IF I could give you a major THUMBS UP :!: on your previous post on page 1 I would. Instead I give this post as kudos instead.

Thank you, that is very kind. Let me take some time to apologize for the last argument that I had with you, because we were talking at cross purposes and I am embarrassed that I did not recognize that was the case and express myself more clearly. As you probably remember, it was about the problem with the p-38 fighting at high altitude during winter over Germany. The troubles stemmed from the Allison engines needing turbochargers, because they lacked the superb supercharger used by the Merlin and Packard engines. In the extreme cold the turbo set-up had mechanical difficulties, which were not present in the much warmer air war in the Pacific. You took me as saying that the Allison lacked a supercharger (it did have a single stage one) and I kept brushing you off, because it was inadequate to get to the heights where the Army specified a turbocharger needed to be added (which was my point of interest). The problem as I should have stated it before,was not that it lacked a supercharger; but that it lacked a multi-stage supercharger that could have boosted it to the same heights as the Merlin.

1) Your memory about said argument is much better than mine. :o

2) Turbo powered superchargers by efficiency standards are superior to mechanical superchargers for efficiency at all altitudes by a couple percent and MUCH superior at high altitudes by even more. Why all civilian aircraft used them. Now at some point the extra weight becomes an issue depending on range of course... SNIP my rambling: Here is a much MUCH better link... http://enginehistory.org/Piston/InterWa ... Cdev.shtml End result is that below 20,000ft little to differentiate between mechanical and turbo supercharging, but above this in terms of power, turbos increase in superiority with increasing altitude. Several NACA reports if you wish to look them up on theory and practice comparisons in the 20's and 30's between mutlitple types of supercharging. With the larger civilian airliner fleet in the 30's USA engine manufacturers were already using them everywhere with different shades of success. :lol:

2a) The USN who demanded simplicity and kaboshed all turbos especially since a lot of turbos failed early on sending shrapnel flying in all directions. USN went with 2 stage 2 speed superchargers for instance. It would be interesting to see a write up on the Brit side of development, but in all my years I have never seen one... the RR just magically appears with its 2 stage 2 speed supercharger sometime in 1942 on the Spit IX. Best I have ever read is that development of 2 stage 2 speed did not start until 1941... Maybe this was part of the Tizzard diplomatic ensemble that went to USA and the USA sent back old WWI destroyers and 2 stage 2 speed supercharger which had already been developed for the F4F Wildcat in the late 1930's? and was in service in 1940? Got me. Something that is lost to history?

3) If you go to say, http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org and compare power curves you will note that the mechanically driven aircraft "best speed" charts look like jigsaw puzzles, but the turbocharged 2nd stage aircraft have a ~fairly constant curve.

4) P51 designers never even contemplated using a turbo as they had the engine mount adaptable for both the Allison and the Merlin from the beginning and their first customer natively were producing the Merlin.

5) Why the P47 was superior at high altitude over any Mechanically driven engine type before or after the war when comparing prop planes. One can say it was WAAAYYY over built with dual stainless steel main wing beams, and many other stainless steel parts making it WAAY too heavy but if you just look at its engine + supercharging setup...

6) P38 got its turbos fixed, but by then it couldn't actually USE said HP as its MASSIVE design flaw of the center cockpit created massive gargantuan compressibility problems. It was so bad that if any more HP, superior propellers/spinners were added it would literally fly into its coffin corner at a mere M0.6~450mph or so and why it was never upgraded and sent to other roles. It could not dive at basic fighter speeds of the time without turning into a lawn dart due to shockwaves formed by center cockpit interfering with its twin fuselages... this is a massive problem without any way to fix. In 1940, P38 was good(top speed only, horrible maneuverability), but by end 1943 it was junk even for pure energy fighting.

7) If you do go down the rabbit hole of looking at the old test documents be keenly aware of dates of introduction, fuel used, aircraft load condition, aircraft flying condition as all tests are NOT equal. An example would be that UK testing and USAAF testing were not equal as the philosophy of the testing was different and both are valid. A good way to put this is that Boscombe down testing in the UK was interested in MAXIMUM's while USAAF at Dayton Wright Patterson was more interested in averages and minimum's and German numbers vary by translation and the major problem they had an enormous number of variants which compounds the translation problem as they had both fighter and bomber threats to deal with. Just as an example, UK testing for instance would usually test with half fuel weight, gun ports tapped closed, no aerial radio antenna, engine radiator ports closed to get a maximum speed etc and then the fanboys of said aircraft publish this number as if it is equal. USAAF testing generally had a standard aircraft off the production line with EVERYTHING in it, full fuel, radio antenna, radiator open, etc.

8) If you REALLY want to go down the weedy path of old engines and supercharging issues an excellent youtube channel is Greg's Airplanes and Automobile's where he goes into a little bit of math and quite a bit of history of different aircraft types. 95% of what he says is correct which by internet standards is high praise indeed.

Cheers!
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse