Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

SPOILERS TEiF: the future of the Alignment on Darius

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILERS TEiF: the future of the Alignment on Darius
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

(SNIP by RAW)
Jonathan_S wrote:Actually based on some other quotes around the Streak drive I think it needs to be significantly more than 3000c. Actually, we know from the speed by hyper band chart originally from (IIRC) More Than Honor that the Iota bands have a velocity multiplier of 6000c, which implies a warship speed there of 6000c*.6 = 3600c.

But based on the quotes below I calculated that streak drive would need even more than that; meaning it cracks not just the Iota wall but the Kappa one as well.

From chapter 4 of _Mission of Honor_:

“And even with those other advances, it had almost doubled the size of conventional hyper generators. But it worked. Indeed, they'd broken not simply the iota wall, but the kappa wall, as well. Which meant the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one.”
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:56 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:(SNIP by RAW)
Jonathan_S wrote:Actually based on some other quotes around the Streak drive I think it needs to be significantly more than 3000c. Actually, we know from the speed by hyper band chart originally from (IIRC) More Than Honor that the Iota bands have a velocity multiplier of 6000c, which implies a warship speed there of 6000c*.6 = 3600c.

But based on the quotes below I calculated that streak drive would need even more than that; meaning it cracks not just the Iota wall but the Kappa one as well.

From chapter 4 of _Mission of Honor_:

“And even with those other advances, it had almost doubled the size of conventional hyper generators. But it worked. Indeed, they'd broken not simply the iota wall, but the kappa wall, as well. Which meant the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one.”

Hah - serves me right for only capturing the the 2nd sentence of that quote into the spreadsheet where I crunched the streak drive numbers. (And of course I simply pulled them back from said spreadsheet; instead of going back to the books)

After so many years I'd forgotten that MoH explicitly said they broke the Kappa wall. :oops: (Or maybe we'd figured that out already from the quote in SftS; and MoH simply confirmed it when it came out a year or so later - and so I remembered the discovery and forgot the confirmation; but maybe not, maybe I just mis-remembered the whole thing) Silly fallible memory :D

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
Even if my numbers are a bit off, simply confirming that they're using the Kappa bands supports a velocity noticeably above the 3600c we'd expect in Iota.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:43 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Hah - serves me right for only capturing the the 2nd sentence of that quote into the spreadsheet where I crunched the streak drive numbers. (And of course I simply pulled them back from said spreadsheet; instead of going back to the books)

After so many years I'd forgotten that MoH explicitly said they broke the Kappa wall. :oops: (Or maybe we'd figured that out already from the quote in SftS; and MoH simply confirmed it when it came out a year or so later - and so I remembered the discovery and forgot the confirmation; but maybe not, maybe I just mis-remembered the whole thing) Silly fallible memory :D

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
Even if my numbers are a bit off, simply confirming that they're using the Kappa bands supports a velocity noticeably above the 3600c we'd expect in Iota.

Indeed, that changes the geometry considerably and can put Warner much off to the side.

I did remember they had cracked two bands for the streak drive, but I didn't remember which ones. When I looked at the velocity multiplier chart, I forgot that it wouldn't represent the Streak drive's capability, so I just too the last band.

I stand corrected.

Return to Honorverse