Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 53 guests

When you're a hammer: MAlign blind spots

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: When you're a hammer: MAlign blind spots
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:37 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I think that is an important point, which I had not fully appreciated: Haven would know that a strike on industry would stop missile production, but not deplete the missile stores in ships nor depots; therefore the attack by the Solarian Navy (complete with nanite initiated missile launch) was included in the Oyster Bay plan to shoot those missile reserves dry.

The flaw, which the Malign had no way of anticipating, was the return of Cachet and Zilwicki with Herlander Simões. It was this testimony that was the deciding factor in pushing Haven to suggest the Grand Alliance. RFC has stated that the contribution of missiles from Haven was important in facing Admiral Filareta's fleet.

Loren Pechtel wrote:This doesn't make sense. The number of missile pods Honor showed Filareta (and remember, she later said everything she said was true, just some of it was understated) wouldn't have been seriously depleted disposing of Filareta's fleet. The ships weren't needed for anything more than controlling the missiles.

RFC has stated that of the pods displayed to Filareta, many were actually of Haven manufacture.

I have found the quote:
kzt wrote:Look at the number of missile pods that the RMN discloses at 2 BoM. They had a huge stockpile of missiles.

runsforcelery wrote:True, but quite a few of those pods had "Made in Nouveau Paris™" labels on them. For some reason, Honor didn't feel real compelled to tell Filareta that. Can't imagine why not.

It is in this thread:
"Filareta's Missiles -- Why?"
Post by kzt   » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
This doesn't make sense. The number of missile pods Honor showed Filareta (and remember, she later said everything she said was true, just some of it was understated) wouldn't have been seriously depleted disposing of Filareta's fleet. The ships weren't needed for anything more than controlling the missiles.

David later mentioned here that they were mostly RHN pods.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:They were obviously useless against the GA. But the decision to not use the SDs in their other expeditions was odd. The SDs are slow but much better protected than the BCs they used, and speed only matters if you are dealing with anyone maneuvering.

It might be not the SDs, but everything else they needed to accomplish the task if SDs were present. Remember that Sandra Crandall was sent to McIntosh system to prove that the SLN Battle Fleet had logistics working in Operation Winter Forage. I'm not entirely sure that actually worked... and Filareta must have consumed every single logistic train the SLN had available for Raging Justice the first. With Lacoön running, I the situation was only made worse.

Also, weren't those FF admirals?
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
kzt wrote:They were obviously useless against the GA. But the decision to not use the SDs in their other expeditions was odd. The SDs are slow but much better protected than the BCs they used, and speed only matters if you are dealing with anyone maneuvering.

It might be not the SDs, but everything else they needed to accomplish the task if SDs were present. Remember that Sandra Crandall was sent to McIntosh system to prove that the SLN Battle Fleet had logistics working in Operation Winter Forage. I'm not entirely sure that actually worked... and Filareta must have consumed every single logistic train the SLN had available for Raging Justice the first. With Lacoön running, I the situation was only made worse.

Also, weren't those FF admirals?

Byng, Crandall, and Filareta were all Battle Fleet, even if Byng was commanding a FF formation.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:57 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Also, weren't those FF admirals?

Byng, Crandall, and Filareta were all Battle Fleet, even if Byng was commanding a FF formation.

Yes, but I meant the admirals running Operation Buccaneer, like Hajdu (not Gyôzô, that's his given name), Gogunov and Yountz.

Return to Honorverse