Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 56 guests

Attacking Darius:

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Attacking Darius:
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:26 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I was under the impression that "Guns" had to sneak a nuclear warhead into attack range via a staggered launch because it was a huge hulking missile with a conventional warhead. My badd.

Nope, a Star Knight is new enough that her missiles were software selectable between laserhead and contact nuke -- specifically so you didn't have to waste magazine space on warheads unlikely to make it through the defenses of a modern warship. But you'd still have the option for a nuke should you need a warning shot, or after you'd battered down those defenses, or if you get a bright idea like Cardones had :D.

Honor called it the nuke old fashioned; but the missile was (AFAIK) the exact same brand new design that came in with the Star Knights. Which was, incidentally, the first time the RMN was able to shrink that dial-a-mode capability down into a cruiser-grade missile.

In contrast the prior Fearless, at Basilisk Station, was old enough that I believe she would have to use physically different warheads for laserhead and contact nuke (even though both were, at their heart, a grav pinch thermonuclear bomb). Due to her age she was built around somewhat smaller missile tubes that couldn't fire the more modern missiles.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

siege
/sēj/

noun

a military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside.

"Verdun had withstood a siege of ten weeks"

I have to admit that I would totally pay good money to sit in on the brainstorming when they came up with ...

:?: :?: :?: Siege??? :?: :?: :?:

What were they smoking in the War Room that day?

Let me get this straight. Imagine the War Room with the nice holotank and top brass is assembled to game it all out. I don't imagine the holotank is going to make the job that used to be done with old-fashioned pointers and miniature figures any easier for the admiralty when "virtually" none of the important variables are known.

1. Where are their supply lines?
— "We don't know. We only recently learned the location of the system."

They could have invisible supply lines already set up in the system. And their invisible ships could be rearmed from system emplacements like the SLN ships were rearmed from the rear with Cataphracts.

I like that system, btw. I suggested it some time ago. I never understood why ships wouldn't "loan" another ship missiles. Like when you are in a gunfight and you toss your mate a clip. Why can't ships launch however many missiles toward another ship - ballistically, using a ballistic launch without firing off the missile's drives. The receiving ship can simply snare them with tractors and load them aboard in magazines. The entire process should be automated. But colliers can eject, send, thousands.

2. Is there a back way into the town?
— "We don't know. There could be another junction leading in and out."

3. Where are their warships?
— "We don't know."

4. What do they have for system defense?
— "We don't know."

5. What is the order of battle of their Home Fleet?
— "We don't know. We can't see it anyway."

6. What type of weapons do they have?
— "We don't know."

"We don't know???"

7. Etc.

8. Well do we at least have a good location we can use as a staging area?

— "We don't know for sure. We can wing it by stooging outside their hyper limit."

Stooging? The GA may not have that kind of time. And a siege is critically dependent on your own supply lines! Which will be cut faster than the ribbon on a new car given to a teenager for a birthday present.

"We can't see what we're supposed to be surrounding? And we won't know whether WE are surrounded?

Who called me to this phucking meeting? Apollo isn't a &@dd@$n fortune teller!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:
siege
/sēj/

noun

a military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside.

"Verdun had withstood a siege of ten weeks"

I have to admit that I would totally pay good money to sit in on the brainstorming when they came up with ...

:?: :?: :?: Siege??? :?: :?: :?:

What were they smoking in the War Room that day?

Let me get this straight. Imagine the War Room with the nice holotank and top brass is assembled to game it all out. I don't imagine the holotank is going to make the job that used to be done with old-fashioned pointers and miniature figures any easier for the admiralty when "virtually" none of the important variables are known.

— "We don't know. We only recently learned the location of the system."

They could have invisible supply lines already set up in the system. And their invisible ships could be rearmed from system emplacements like the SLN ships were rearmed from the rear with Cataphracts.

I like that system, btw. I suggested it some time ago. I never understood why ships wouldn't "loan" another ship missiles. Like when you are in a gunfight and you toss your mate a clip. Why can't ships launch however many missiles toward another ship - ballistically, using a ballistic launch without firing off the missile's drives. The receiving ship can simply snare them with tractors and load them aboard in magazines. The entire process should be automated. But colliers can eject, send, thousands.

— "We don't know."

— "We don't know."

— "We don't know."

"We don't know???"

7. Etc.

— "We don't know for sure. We can wing it by stooging outside their hyper limit."

Stooging? The GA may not have that kind of time. And a siege is critically dependent on your own supply lines! Which will be cut faster than the ribbon on a new car given to a teenager for a birthday present.

"We can't see what we're supposed to be surrounding? And we won't know whether WE are surrounded?

Who called me to this phucking meeting? Apollo isn't a &@dd@$n fortune teller!"

I think many of the questions you ask lead to stronger arguments against a direct assault and are therefore arguments in favour of a siege. "We don't know" times umpteen - so what are the alternatives? Never attack or should they barrel in, pedal to the metal and fly straight into the enemy's traps, like Filareta at 2nd Manticore?

When so many unknown variables are in play, of course a siege is the way to go. Staying outside the hyper limit allows the attacker to jump out if a defender sallies forth, maneuver and come back in, better armed with information. Repeat and rinse until the siege has progressed to the point that the attacker can answer many of those questions and may finally risk crossing the hyper limit with starships instead of just MDMs.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

#7 is obviously a placeholder for any other unknown variables still lurking. I'm sure all of you armchair strategists can think of many more. Like ...

5b. Where is their Home Fleet?

— "We don't know? :o "

In other words, we're going to wing it? Just be careful our wings don't get ensnared in a Spider's web.

munroburton wrote:I think many of the questions you ask lead to stronger arguments against a direct assault and are therefore arguments in favour of a siege.

Ok, I'll double the asking price of sitting in on a brainstorming session when it comes up with that. Supply and demand is driving the price up.

As an object lesson against any perceived ease of an Assault on Darius is what this thread is about. Which by nature belies any ambitions of a direct assault.

But how the object lesson would result in - would lead to, or continue to lead to - a siege, is beyond me. You literally know NONE of what you need to know. You know neither what you need to know for that operation, nor do you know any of what you need to know for ANY operation.

munroburton wrote: "We don't know" times umpteen - so what are the alternatives? Never attack or should they barrel in, pedal to the metal and fly straight into the enemy's traps, like Filareta at 2nd Manticore?

I acknowledge that that decision is way beyond my pay grade. That's the job of the admiralty run by the Mad Wizard. I'm just pointing out for several threads now, that resting on their laurels and relying on their enormous accel will land them in the same position as Filareta.

Spider's are powered by Alphas. They work smart, not hard. They can't zip around the forest like insects and other vermin. So they just spin webs and wait for the prey's enormous speeds to deliver them right smack dab into a sticky situation. Even the grasshoppers that are incessantly jumping around the periphery completely oblivious to the dangers lurking will be ensnared.

munroburton wrote:When so many unknown variables are in play, of course a siege is the way to go.

Darius is a long way to go to commit to an operation when none of the needed variables for that particular operation are known, let alone knowing ANY of the variables needed to carry out ANY operation.

And Darius is a long way to go to commit to packing for what you think you need for the trip. To carry out an operation that should never have left the War(m) Room. Again it is akin to visiting somewhere far away and you don't know the weather in that town. Which might be COLD AS HELL.

There's nothing like packing too light. And the warm welcome received at their airport will also include losing your luggage. Compliments of the House.

I just think the GA can, and will, do better than that. But probably on the follow up visit after it has licked its wounds. LOL

It is such a long way to go simply to get your fortune read to you by a malignant Gypsy wielding a cloudy crystal ball and a notoriously hidden - though unmarked - stacked deck.

May as well get your clock cleaned too. And a very close shave.

A siege on a unknown system that is self sufficient sounds like some navy surrounding the United States and trying to starve us out.

We'll be air dropping tons of beef jerky on their locations - just so they won't have a propaganda ploy to offer the world of how such an immense and suppulent dinner table were so :) inhumane.

munroburton wrote:Staying outside the hyper limit allows the attacker to jump out if a defender sallies forth, maneuver and come back in, better armed with information. Repeat and rinse until the siege has progressed to the point that the attacker can answer many of those questions and may finally risk crossing the hyper limit with starships instead of just MDMs.

But you can't see the sallying. Not even Sally Mander can. That plan only works with traditional ships with the tell-tale signs of wedges.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:39 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Let me get this straight. Imagine the War Room with the nice holotank and top brass is assembled to game it all out. I don't imagine the holotank is going to make the job that used to be done with old-fashioned pointers and miniature figures any easier for the admiralty when "virtually" none of the important variables are known.

As I said above, a siege is not the first strategy. The first thing you do to a newly discovered enemy location is surveillance. You watch it to see what assets it has, what its lines of communications and supply are, whether any weaknesses can be spotted in their operating procedures, etc.

Siege is the second option, if outright military victory isn't possible.

Extremely unlikely that the supply ships are invisible all the time. It's extremely unlikely that the MAN is using stealth freighters with spiders. That would not only increase the operating cost enormously, it would be extremely reckless. It would increase the cost because the spider isn't cheap -- it's a new technology. It changes the hull form from the most advantageous volume/mass ratio (circular cross-section), which means the same mass of ship can carry less cargo. It increases the operating cost because the spider is so slow. And it increases the operating cost because the stealth is also a mass & power penalty to operate, around the clock. All of this increases the maintenance cost of the freighter. And on top of that, it's a security risk, because you multiply the number of spider ships with top-of-the-line stealth technology out there, and only one being detected or, worse, captured, gives the game away.

Plus, that makes the warships more expensive and/or late too, since they now compete with the freighters for shipyard and other resource allocations.

Even if all of that were true, which I can't see being so, there's the question of being stealth ALL the time. The surveillance ship will focus their scanners and Ghost Riders on the points where the stealth ships must go: the ship yards, the industrial centres, etc. Once the stealth ship opens its doors to load and reload, the stealth is compromised and it s very visible. Then the surveillance ship will just covertly stalk that ship to see where it's going.

Two junctions in a system? Unless they've already gone through the Twins, they wouldn't think about that.

If you meant whether there may be a junction in a nearby star system, like the Phoenix Wormhole "Junction," then sure. But even then a round-trip time is a week, plus whatever time on the other side.

Again, tailing the ships that are going from this system to figure out where they're going and who the allies are would be the first order of the day.

— "We don't know."

A few of them are visible on the shipyards.

— "We don't know."

That's generally true of any system. Most of the defences aren't advertised and must be discovered by other means, such as leaked intelligence or leaked emissions. Finding out as much as possible about this, such as observing the maintenance of a weapons platform or missile pod, is quite required.

Ditto as above. The ones that are in active patrol will eventually rotate back to receive resupply. At that point, they're visible.

Another point is that the size of the observed shipyards and the pace at which they're constructing now can give an upper number of ships that could have been produced. (In this shipyard, of course; they'd have to wonder if there aren't others in other undiscovered systems)

— "We don't know."

As above. You either need intelligence breakthroughs or you need to face them in battle to get their measure.

That one we can say for sure is the wrong answer. There are any number of empty systems nearby, within a few days' travel, that could be used as a staging point. They will know the astrography much better than we can.

You can't see a planet? We've been able to see planets in our sky since we've had eyes!

I agree you won't know if you're surrounded, but I counter by saying there's no way that the surrounding of a significantly-sized fleet can affect its movements. It can always get out. Sieges aren't done to mobile forces; they are done to fixed population and industrial centres.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

1st you have to FIND Darius. That probably is going to entail capturing/stealing information but then you have to both think about it and then figure out how to get there.

Getting there- as presently know to at least the reader- is by way of a wormhole guarded by a RF SDF/Navy in a system that the GA has no access to if they did find out where it was and what it meant.

Then there is the whole "attack through a wormhole" discussion since it is vastly unlikely that the far side of the Felix wormhole in the direction of Darius is undefended. Leaving aside that a GA attack force would have minimal information about the wormhole transit ( vector, wormhole energy fluctuations etc- remember, even with Lacoon II, it is likely that RMN had records of previous transits by at least Manticore Merchant Marine shipping which would be old but include relative approch path etc)

Even if the acquired information gives the Torch wormhole as an access, the only known ship sent through by Manticore vanished and you have to guess at that point it was from hostile action.

No idea about max transit tonnage but against simple minefields, an aggressive defensive force -probably with the same mystery ships and weapons of Oyster Bay and prodigious defensive depth with forts, that isn't going to be any walk in the park.

So, you have to find out where Darius is relative to something else in the galaxy and try and run some very stealth scouts in to both confirm at least something interesting is there- like a massive orbital manufacturing and shipbuilding industry and warships- and what is the lay of the star system. You are also going to have to send at least two but probably more ships because one is going to need to get in fairly close to do things like run Ghost Rider drones through and you need somebody hanging way the hell back incase your scout is discovered. There is always going to be that awful question of IF they have some of those mystery ships hanging outside the hyper limit to snipe sniffers. Or just how sensitive is their system security sensor net.

And what the heck are you going to do if you do discover where Darius is? Show up and demand surrender only to let dozens, possibly hundreds of those ghost ships slide away? Or are you going to show up with massive overkill and lay waste to everything outside the planets atmosphere and .....do what?

Lots of morality questions for the GA......we already know that the Alignment would burn such a target to the ground. The ONLY reason they didn't do that to both Manticore and Grayson was need to avoid prodding the SL into action with a deliberate EE strike on two systems. It's not even a case of limitations of Oyster Bay specific weapons numbers. If the Alignment had not cared about a fig leaf to cover what was otherwise (dropping all that orbital debris on the planets) been EE violations, they could have just sent in a few pods worth of Cataphracts and or KEWs against each planet involved and laid waste to the major cities, food production and major ground based manufacturing. Those were "normals" they were going to go kill. Crush and obliterate the governments and populations of the planets to remove them from the playing field

Just saying
Post by jgnfld   » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 pm

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Brigade XO wrote:...
Lots of morality questions for the GA......we already know that the Alignment would burn such a target to the ground. The ONLY reason they didn't do that to both Manticore and Grayson was need to avoid prodding the SL into action with a deliberate EE strike on two systems. ...

Just saying

Hard to know re. their thots here. Seems to me that I can see zero reason whatever why the Malignment hasn't, or still won't, commit a c-fractional strike on, say, Beowolf with a significant projectile or even wedge. Their level of sociopathy is very nearly inhuman...but then they are proud of being a new "species" so there is that.

Maybe DW simply doesn't want to write a planet killer chapter (I know _I_ certainly would not.) But the Malignment would certainly do it given their psychological profiles as presented to date.
Post by kzt   » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

jgnfld wrote:
Hard to know re. their thots here. Seems to me that I can see zero reason whatever why the Malignment hasn't, or still won't, commit a c-fractional strike on, say, Beowolf with a significant projectile or even wedge. Their level of sociopathy is very nearly inhuman...but then they are proud of being a new "species" so there is that.

Maybe DW simply doesn't want to write a planet killer chapter (I know _I_ certainly would not.) But the Malignment would certainly do it given their psychological profiles as presented to date.

What David has implied is that they don't just want to win, they want to grind Beowulk's face in it. You can't do that so well if you kill everyone.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:44 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
jgnfld wrote:

What David has implied is that they don't just want to win, they want to grind Beowulk's face in it. You can't do that so well if you kill everyone.

The Alignment wants to replace the Beowulf Code with the Detweiler Code and grind Beowulf's nose into the realization the Detweiler has triumphed over them. For that to happen, a significant number of the leading medical and philosophy people of Beowulf have to be alive to have that knowledge inflicted on them. This is not going to be a quick process.

First the Alignment has to modify the medical ethics of all of the "to be created" RF systems to reflect the current Detweiler-Alignment version and then spread it to the rest of the galaxy. Then they have to slowly start having individuals point out the eclipsing of the Beowulf Code to those who champion it, laying out how much better the new position is and it has grown from people who left the shambles of the SL and embraced a more modern and reasonable code of uplift of humanity. They will not use any reference to Detweiler, but will stress the profound improvements plus end of sufferings and advances in medicine made under the new philosophy. Eventually to heap ridicule and derision on those "still clinging to that sorry and outmoded system of belief in so-called medical ethics. Also eventually, when the Alignment has reached the level and scope of control they require, some minion will start pointing how the now widely implemented RF Code (or whatever name it has taken) reflects the original Detweiler position on uplift and improvement and will decry the waste of time and individuals that could have had better lives fewer medical problems had only the narrow minded bigots of Beowulf not denied humanity -for their own aggrandizement plus to enrich themselves - the benefits that should have come vastly faster had Leonard Detweiler not been hounded off the planet by the jealousy of petty people.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:15 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:First the Alignment has to modify the medical ethics of all of the "to be created" RF systems to reflect the current Detweiler-Alignment version and then spread it to the rest of the galaxy. Then they have to slowly start having individuals point out the eclipsing of the Beowulf Code to those who champion it, laying out how much better the new position is and it has grown from people who left the shambles of the SL and embraced a more modern and reasonable code of uplift of humanity. They will not use any reference to Detweiler, but will stress the profound improvements plus end of sufferings and advances in medicine made under the new philosophy. Eventually to heap ridicule and derision on those "still clinging to that sorry and outmoded system of belief in so-called medical ethics. Also eventually, when the Alignment has reached the level and scope of control they require, some minion will start pointing how the now widely implemented RF Code (or whatever name it has taken) reflects the original Detweiler position on uplift and improvement and will decry the waste of time and individuals that could have had better lives fewer medical problems had only the narrow minded bigots of Beowulf not denied humanity -for their own aggrandizement plus to enrich themselves - the benefits that should have come vastly faster had Leonard Detweiler not been hounded off the planet by the jealousy of petty people.

Long-term planning and subterfuge...

Return to Honorverse