Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

FAKE SPOILERS: To End in Fire

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
FAKE SPOILERS: To End in Fire
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:53 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fire Watch (Harahap's treecat) discovers a psychic monument in Mesa of all places and that leads the Terrible Trio to find the long-lost Treecat homeworld and that Sphinx was just a colony. The Treecat starship armada shows up by the end of the book.
Re: FAKE SPOILERS: To End in Fire
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Fire Watch (Harahap's treecat) discovers a psychic monument in Mesa of all places and that leads the Terrible Trio to find the long-lost Treecat homeworld and that Sphinx was just a colony. The Treecat starship armada shows up by the end of the book.

I am surprised this thread got past customs. I don't see the difference between this thread and my thread named "Honorverse wishlist of plots" which was axed because of the fanfic rule.

Besides, really? Four years of fake news wasn't enough? Oh, right, my badd, you're not American.

But, is that a typo or two? Psychic "monument" or psychic "moment" on Mesa?

At any rate, I suggested a long lost treecat world long ago. But we got into hot water with the author because several of us suggested a totally new "language" and the author insists Treecats don't have a language thus it cannot develop into something else. Not even a different dialect. Anyway, interesting.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Personally, my favorite portion of the book was where Indiana Graham follows the crumbs of the hidden bread trail and discovers the inner sanctum of the Neebler Elves and how they are central to the entire multi-millenia conspiracy at the center of the Mesan Onion.

Surprise revelation - the Graham family is a lost Neebler "Cracker Elf" line - and looked down on by the "Pastry" and "Baker" Elf lines.

The big setup at the end, of the Gendarmes planning to raid the last Willy Wonka Factory, hidden at Sol itself, in the Underground of Old Chicago directly beneath the Mandarin's Tower, is the ultimate cliff hanger. Finding out that everything was organized by the decedents of the Oompa Loompa "Supermen", generically developed to make sundries for the armies of the last war, was the real mind blower.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:35 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I am surprised this thread got past customs. I don't see the difference between this thread and my thread named "Honorverse wishlist of plots" which was axed because of the fanfic rule.

I'm hoping that if the posts are so out there outlandish that it's clearly never going to happen, that it would not be considered fanfic. But if Duckk says we should stop, then I'll apologise for the thread and stop.

Besides, really? Four years of fake news wasn't enough? Oh, right, my badd, you're not American.

More like following Stephen Colbert's #fakespoiler tweets on Star Wars, like "the leader of the Knights of Ren was called Stimpy."

I meant "monument." A stone that is imbedded with psychic power. Which, as far as we know of the Honorverse, is never going to happen.

At any rate, I suggested a long lost treecat world long ago. But we got into hot water with the author because several of us suggested a totally new "language" and the author insists Treecats don't have a language thus it cannot develop into something else. Not even a different dialect. Anyway, interesting.

Even more reason that this is outlandish. And a Treecat Navy?
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:I am surprised this thread got past customs. I don't see the difference between this thread and my thread named "Honorverse wishlist of plots" which was axed because of the fanfic rule.

I'm hoping that if the posts are so out there outlandish that it's clearly never going to happen, that it would not be considered fanfic. But if Duckk says we should stop, then I'll apologise for the thread and stop.

More like following Stephen Colbert's #fakespoiler tweets on Star Wars, like "the leader of the Knights of Ren was called Stimpy."

I meant "monument." A stone that is imbedded with psychic power. Which, as far as we know of the Honorverse, is never going to happen.

The rule on Fanfic is to protect against David hearing a valid idea someone else puts forth and accidently includes the idea later in a book, and can thus be sued for plagiarism.

Discussing an Intergalactic Armada lead by the Flagship "Hairball Maximus" is probably safe.....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up before I ran with it. You are right that the author is highly unlikely to adopt psychic powers into the Honorverse, but I disagree that it isn't possible for psychic powers to develop, considering the level of unnatural mutants that exist. If meddling with the brain can result in Honor's unnatural "powers," then why can't natural psychic powers become magnified. Surely we don't disbelieve that psychics already exist? There's the psychic hotline for goodness sake. :D

Theemile, that is the best explanation of fanfic I've yet encountered. Thanks.

Oh! And the psychic monument is very interesting. It is similar in scope to something I submitted long ago about a piece of technology that increases the Treecat's mind glow even further. Perhaps something worn on the head like the mutant in X-Men.

I also submitted that the MAlign may develop telekinesis.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Princess Ruth receives a visit from her father, Prince Michael, who reveals to her that the younger sibling to the heir to throne is initiated in a secret sub-unit of the Sphinx Forestry Rangers who know about the real truth on the treecat mind powers. They dress themselves in bright colours and wear a helmet. They also work in fire teams of 6 and have elaborately choreographed arm and leg movements to tap on those mind powers.

They call themselves Sphinx Forestry Power Rangers.
Post by Theemile   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:19 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Princess Ruth receives a visit from her father, Prince Michael, who reveals to her that the younger sibling to the heir to throne is initiated in a secret sub-unit of the Sphinx Forestry Rangers who know about the real truth on the treecat mind powers. They dress themselves in bright colours and wear a helmet. They also work in fire teams of 6 and have elaborately choreographed arm and leg movements to tap on those mind powers.

They call themselves Sphinx Forestry Power Rangers.

I wanna see their brightly colored Treecat robots!!!
Post by jtg452   » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Fire Watch (Harahap's treecat) discovers a psychic monument in Mesa of all places and that leads the Terrible Trio to find the long-lost Treecat homeworld and that Sphinx was just a colony. The Treecat starship armada shows up by the end of the book.

I thought the treecat Marines in powered armor was an especially nice touch.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

It turns out that the Treecats were an experiment by the Arphains (spelling)- who know they are an earlier but mostly extinct race in the Honorverse and a remnant population showed up in one fo the early short stories.
So a Treecat Legend leads to a system of these earlier aliens which had merely withdraw but not abandoned their technology and they decide to throw in on the side of the GA?

Return to Honorverse