Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests

Was this out of character for Honor?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Was this out of character for Honor?
Post by Daryl   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:09 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

My last job was heading up an organisation with a couple of hundred aeronautical engineers. An old joke was that the human brain had lots of sockets for various traits, but unfortunately the same socket could take the gifted engineer module or the interpersonal skills module, but not both.
They used to pass around a short comedy clip where a doctor was reporting to a new mother about her new born baby. The mother sensed that something was wrong, and kept trying to pin the evasive doctor down, running through all the nasties. He eventually came clean saying "I'm sorry but it's worse than all of those, he's going to be an engineer". End of clip had an hysterical mother running away screaming NNNOOOOOO.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:08 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:My last job was heading up an organisation with a couple of hundred aeronautical engineers. An old joke was that the human brain had lots of sockets for various traits, but unfortunately the same socket could take the gifted engineer module or the interpersonal skills module, but not both.
They used to pass around a short comedy clip where a doctor was reporting to a new mother about her new born baby. The mother sensed that something was wrong, and kept trying to pin the evasive doctor down, running through all the nasties. He eventually came clean saying "I'm sorry but it's worse than all of those, he's going to be an engineer". End of clip had an hysterical mother running away screaming NNNOOOOOO.

Dilbert - The Knack full - YouTube
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:
Shannon'Foraker wrote:I'm somehow reminded of your very gifted niece. As someone who knows what it's like to be gifted (though she makes me at her age look stupid), I can tell you that it's sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse. I get Shannon's lack of social skills, as a tech nerd very well.

After Queen's Gambit came out, my sister couldn't believe how many people called to say the series reminded them of my niece. Perhaps the writer read a certain thread.

I think having your social skills challenged is a natural byproduct of being gifted. You are misunderstood and feared.Oh, yes. It is the same way with both Shannon and Sonja. Honor didn't exactly make a lot of friends herself in college.

P.S. I decided to research the book and it was written in 1983! There goes another title on my reading list. My long reading list.

I get Shannon's social issues, but high tech skills very well.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:35 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Daryl wrote:My last job was heading up an organisation with a couple of hundred aeronautical engineers. An old joke was that the human brain had lots of sockets for various traits, but unfortunately the same socket could take the gifted engineer module or the interpersonal skills module, but not both.

Replace gifted engineer with a combo of
-tech nerd
-science geek
-and more
I got the combo, not the social skills module.
Post by sonex   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:41 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Shannon_Foraker wrote:

Replace gifted engineer with a combo of
-tech nerd
-science geek
-and more
I got the combo, not the social skills module.

I read you as a 10, I was only about a 7.5, scale 1-10.
So I quit trying 30 years ago, and took up building and flying airplanes, the full size and also models.
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.

Return to Honorverse