Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

_A Call to Insurrection_ coming in February 2022?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: _A Call to Insurrection_ coming in February 2022?
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
No, that should have been QE2. We had her ascension to the throne in one of the earlier books, after the death of King Edward I and Crown Princess Sophie in a boating accident.

QE1 was the daughter of King Roger Winton, the last Manticoran monarch to be born before the founding of the Kingdom. She was the president of the Board of Directors before the establishment of the monarchy.

The House of Winton, through Elizabeth II Regina

Roger I
Elizabeth I
Michael I
Edward I
Elizabeth II
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:23 am

Fox2!
Commodore

richardinor wrote:One of the cliff hangers at the end of A CALL TO VENGEANCE was what would Lisa say yes when Travis proposed. We now have the answer. Part of Amazon’s description of A CALL TO INSURRECTION states “It is a job for officers like Travis Long and his wife, Lisa to …”

And the coin toss between the SIS director and the First Space Lord for Travis' services (and career direction). Heads. Tails. Standing on edge?
Post by zyffyr   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Fox2! wrote:
richardinor wrote:One of the cliff hangers at the end of A CALL TO VENGEANCE was what would Lisa say yes when Travis proposed. We now have the answer. Part of Amazon’s description of A CALL TO INSURRECTION states “It is a job for officers like Travis Long and his wife, Lisa to …”

And the coin toss between the SIS director and the First Space Lord for Travis' services (and career direction). Heads. Tails. Standing on edge?

A bird flew by and grabbed the coin in midair. Don't ask me how the bird got into the office to do it...
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:And the coin toss between the SIS director and the First Space Lord for Travis' services (and career direction). Heads. Tails. Standing on edge?

I'm putting my money behind the First Space Lord. Travis will resume his naval career, as we know he must.

If I understood the blurb right, the Andermani Civil War will surprise them on-site, so he won't have had orders from SIS. Chomps might.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:53 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Fox2! wrote:And the coin toss between the SIS director and the First Space Lord for Travis' services (and career direction). Heads. Tails. Standing on edge?

I'm putting my money behind the First Space Lord. Travis will resume his naval career, as we know he must.

If I understood the blurb right, the Andermani Civil War will surprise them on-site, so he won't have had orders from SIS. Chomps might.

I vaguely remember some background of the Anderman Empire was in an expansion module for the _Saganami Island Tactical Simulator_ game. There wasn't much, other than Gustav Anderman death year (1545PD - right on schedule).

_Honor Among Enemies_ mentions one dynastic upset, but that was generations later when Gustav VI was removed from the throne.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:36 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I vaguely remember some background of the Anderman Empire was in an expansion module for the _Saganami Island Tactical Simulator_ game. There wasn't much, other than Gustav Anderman death year (1545PD - right on schedule).

_Honor Among Enemies_ mentions one dynastic upset, but that was generations later when Gustav VI was removed from the throne.

Indeed, I don't remember there being a discussion about an Andermani Civil War this early in their history. Maybe it was just too ancient history by Honor's time or maybe it isn't going to be as bad as the blurb makes it sound. It could be your plain, old dynastic succession struggle.

The dynastic upset you're talking about was when Gustav Anderman VI became too mentally unstable (he appointed a rose bush as the CHancellor) and had no children or male siblings. So his oldest sister had herself declared a man and assumed the throne as Gustav Anderman VII. For this one, the wiki says that imminent succession crisis "could only have been a bloody and catastrophic affair," so maybe even it wasn't an actual civil war. It may have only stuck with Honor when she was pondering the Andermani history because of its unexpected solution -- and that Gustav VII was actually one of the best rulers they had.

What could connect the two is that when Gustav VI was removed, they knew what could happen only because it did or almost did happen before. That could have been the succession of Gustav I.

Any way, I think Chomps will use his super spy skills and find out that Gustav I did not die of natural causes and that someone was paid off by a large transstellar. This may not be part of the public, recorded history.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I vaguely remember some background of the Anderman Empire was in an expansion module for the _Saganami Island Tactical Simulator_ game. There wasn't much, other than Gustav Anderman death year (1545PD - right on schedule).

Indeed, I don't remember there being a discussion about an Andermani Civil War this early in their history. Maybe it was just too ancient history by Honor's time or maybe it isn't going to be as bad as the blurb makes it sound. It could be your plain, old dynastic succession struggle.

The dynastic upset you're talking about was when Gustav Anderman VI became too mentally unstable (he appointed a rose bush as the CHancellor) and had no children or male siblings. So his oldest sister had herself declared a man and assumed the throne as Gustav Anderman VII. For this one, the wiki says that imminent succession crisis "could only have been a bloody and catastrophic affair," so maybe even it wasn't an actual civil war. It may have only stuck with Honor when she was pondering the Andermani history because of its unexpected solution -- and that Gustav VII was actually one of the best rulers they had.

What could connect the two is that when Gustav VI was removed, they knew what could happen only because it did or almost did happen before. That could have been the succession of Gustav I.

Any way, I think Chomps will use his super spy skills and find out that Gustav I did not die of natural causes and that someone was paid off by a large transstellar. This may not be part of the public, recorded history.

The only thing Mentioned in SITS is Gustav I died in 1545, ruling 6 planets, and having stablized Potsdam as a place where human life could live in 1532 (20 years after he "liberated" the populace). No word of a struggle, only the following leaders kept up the pace and image of the original, continuing the slow intake of neighbor worlds (usually bloodlessly) and continuing the Empire's warrior mentality.

But that being said, the setting book was focused on the situation in 1900 - not a historical blow by blow of the Empire or Silesia.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:42 am

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

I expect that wherever we find Travis, Chomps will be nearby. And vice-versa. How much Lisa will get read into SIS, we don't know. It would probably make Travis' life easier if she is at least read into the outermost level (I almost said, "Layer") of what he is doing, so that she doesn't do something out of ignorance of his SIS tasking. It may be at times be advantageous having Lisa as just an honest sailor, especially if she doesn't change her name. Which she might do, as she is an established, well regarded career officer in her own right.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:I expect that wherever we find Travis, Chomps will be nearby. And vice-versa. How much Lisa will get read into SIS, we don't know. It would probably make Travis' life easier if she is at least read into the outermost level (I almost said, "Layer") of what he is doing, so that she doesn't do something out of ignorance of his SIS tasking. It may be at times be advantageous having Lisa as just an honest sailor, especially if she doesn't change her name. Which she might do, as she is an established, well regarded career officer in her own right.

Agreed, looks like they will all be nearby and it might be a good idea to keep Lisa out of knowing that SIS agents are aboard. They may have to tell her before the end of the book though.

I wonder now which ship this is and who the captain is.

Gustav Anderman is known to have died in 1545, which is just the year after the end of ACTV. Lisa ended the book as a Lt. Cmdr. and she did really well, so she may get a promotion to Commander for that. And Commanders can be skippers to DDs and CLs, so she may be the captain of whichever ship they send to Andermani space.

But there are two problems with that. First, the RMN doesn't have that many ships, so giving a newly promoted Commander a ship may not be possible. Second, if they send only one ship, she would be Travis' commanding officer and having a husband-wife relationship is not a good idea. So if she's been given a command, it's probably of a destroyer and the RMN is sending two ships to Andermani space.

I hope this is it.

A single ship doesn't make sense, though. Lisa was TO on HMS Damocles, so if she's not Travis' hierarchy, the has to still be TO. Maybe a lateral/diagonal promotion to TO on a heavy cruiser (so not HMS Casey CL-01). Has Manticore finished refitting any of the CAs with grav plates and electromagnetic rail missile launchers?

It won't be a battlecruiser. Manticore has been attacked and there's definitely a conspiracy. Those BCs will be staying home for the foreseeable future, at least until they get relabelled as CAs.
Post by jthoma8318   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:38 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

I can't find in the Amazon store. Not either in my Kindle app or going directly to the Amazon website. Has anyone else seen it?

Dauntless wrote:Tim Zahan has posted on FB that the book will release 1st of Feb 2022 and is available for pre-order on Amazon

Return to Honorverse