Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fireflair and 42 guests

_A Call to Insurrection_ coming in February 2022?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: _A Call to Insurrection_ coming in February 2022?
Post by justdave   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:41 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
richardinor wrote:One of the cliff hangers at the end of A CALL TO VENGEANCE was what would Lisa say yes when Travis proposed. We now have the answer. Part of Amazon’s description of A CALL TO INSURRECTION states “It is a job for officers like Travis Long and his wife, Lisa to …”

Well, that was the least of the cliffhangers :)

But if you follow the blurb, it says that this book will be centered on the Andermani Empire and a civil war there. Which is news to most of us... we'd never heard of such a thing. Was it fomented by Axelrod? If not, how does this advance the discovery of the Junction?

According to the MWW during his video update on Sunday at Libertycon he said ACTI has been turned in, he also did a reading from an Aldermanai portion
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

justdave wrote:According to the MWW during his video update on Sunday at Libertycon he said ACTI has been turned in, he also did a reading from an Aldermanai portion

Sure, and I'll be glad to read more about the Andermani. In fact, the blurb says:

"But the Andermani have problems of their own. Their Emperor's death is the trigger for insurrection, and now that powerful and experienced navy is locked in civil war."

Well, to be clear, that's not just any emperor, that's Gustav Anderman the first of his name himself, because we know he was alive as of the previous book. So, yeah, I'd like to learn more about them and about the Republic of Haven of the time.

But my question remains: how does this forward the story of the discovery of the Junction and the conflict with Axelrod?

Here's a prediction: Axelrod knows Manticore is looking to its allies for help in expanding the Navy, so that Andermani civil war from the blurb is actually fomented by Axelrod. We may also find out that they're framing the Havenites. So Travis and Lisa and Chomps will be in the thick of things and may get to find out who's behind the civil war. Will that lead to connecting the dots to the Volsung attack?

I've been thinking that the wormhole wasn't actually discovered in 1585, but that the SKM had delayed announcement of discovery until they had a powerful navy to secure it. But that has a glaring hole on the other date we know of: the reclassification of HMS Nike BC-09 as a heavy cruiser and the commissioning of HMS Nike BC-01. That was 1590, meaning the entire Galaxy would have known of the Junction for 5 years.

So what was the RMN protecting the Junction with for those 5 years? Is it possible that HMS Manticore BB-01 was actually commissioned earlier? The wiki reminds us that the Manticore class was a Solarian design, so it's possible it was indeed built earlier. In fact, it might have actually been a Vergeltung-class ship (because the Vergeltung was the first battleship in the Solarian design, actually) and have been built by the Andermani at cost as a thank you for the assistance in the civil war that we're going to see.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
justdave wrote:According to the MWW during his video update on Sunday at Libertycon he said ACTI has been turned in, he also did a reading from an Aldermanai portion

Sure, and I'll be glad to read more about the Andermani. In fact, the blurb says:

"But the Andermani have problems of their own. Their Emperor's death is the trigger for insurrection, and now that powerful and experienced navy is locked in civil war."

Well, to be clear, that's not just any emperor, that's Gustav Anderman the first of his name himself, because we know he was alive as of the previous book. So, yeah, I'd like to learn more about them and about the Republic of Haven of the time.

But my question remains: how does this forward the story of the discovery of the Junction and the conflict with Axelrod?

Here's a prediction: Axelrod knows Manticore is looking to its allies for help in expanding the Navy, so that Andermani civil war from the blurb is actually fomented by Axelrod. We may also find out that they're framing the Havenites. So Travis and Lisa and Chomps will be in the thick of things and may get to find out who's behind the civil war. Will that lead to connecting the dots to the Volsung attack?

I've been thinking that the wormhole wasn't actually discovered in 1585, but that the SKM had delayed announcement of discovery until they had a powerful navy to secure it. But that has a glaring hole on the other date we know of: the reclassification of HMS Nike BC-09 as a heavy cruiser and the commissioning of HMS Nike BC-01. That was 1590, meaning the entire Galaxy would have known of the Junction for 5 years.

So what was the RMN protecting the Junction with for those 5 years? Is it possible that HMS Manticore BB-01 was actually commissioned earlier? The wiki reminds us that the Manticore class was a Solarian design, so it's possible it was indeed built earlier. In fact, it might have actually been a Vergeltung-class ship (because the Vergeltung was the first battleship in the Solarian design, actually) and have been built by the Andermani at cost as a thank you for the assistance in the civil war that we're going to see.

Interesting. If your prediction is true, the conflict the MA engineered between Haven and Manticore and the SL should have been deja vu for Haven.*

Perhaps during that era of wormhole discovery it took significantly longer than five years to support the logistics of a wormhole assault.

*Late edit: In addition, if true, the MA may have been taking a page out of that book. Am I recalling correctly that Axelrod has some sort of relations to the MA?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:27 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Interesting. If your prediction is true, the conflict the MA engineered between Haven and Manticore and the SL should have been deja vu for Haven.*

Perhaps during that era of wormhole discovery it took significantly longer than five years to support the logistics of a wormhole assault.

Kinda déjà vu, but not exactly. The DuQuesne Plan and the PRH was actually doing the things they were being accused of. They did conquer systems. The fact that they were manipulated into doing it and not even know that is a side discussion at that point. My prediction is that Axelrod has not gone anywhere as far, if for no other reason they have no time to do so. Remember lines of communication are much slower at this time, as there are no known Wormholes leading to this part of the Galaxy. Haven and New Berlin are actually farther from the Core than Manticore.

The prediction is that Haven is being framed, meaning they weren't guilty of the act. Oh, there may be some Havenite patsies that got duped into actually doing nefarious things, but that's not the Havenite government.

*Late edit: In addition, if true, the MA may have been taking a page out of that book. Am I recalling correctly that Axelrod has some sort of relations to the MA?

Now that's a question I've been meaning to ask too.

Nothing has been explicitly said on this yet. Axelrod is headquartered on Earth (Axelrod of Terra), not on Mesa, and is interested in the wormhole for commercial reasons. There doesn't seem to be any genetic plan involved, nor galactic domination over the human race. They appear to have "simple" profit motives: they want an enviable economic position by controlling wormholes and junctions, either directly or through puppet governments.

And we also know that the Alignment was operating contemporaneously, through Manpower Inc. They had already tried to acquire treecats (SK book series). In fact, at one point in one of the MA books ("Manticore Ascendant", yet another overload to the acronym...), probably ACTA, a character wonders why the Volsungs are attacking and asks "is it about the treecats?" So if Axelrod was a MAlign company, I'd expect some coordination, which doesn't appear to have happened.

So, right now, I'm guessing that Axelrod is actually independent. Aside from the treecats, which are a mere curiosity, the Alignment has no interest in the Haven sector at all. Haven is not big enough to be the polity to confront the League. It won't be until after the Junction is discovered that they turn their attentions to the sector. Probably 50 to 100 years after that, as the Junction brings wealth to the sector and Haven benefits from it. I'm guessing that even the Economic Bill of Rights was a purely Havenite invention, not influenced by the Alignment; they only distorted it for their purposes later.

That's not to say there's no connection. There has been no mention of Axelrod in Honor's time, even in the half century preceding it in House of Steel. So my guess is that Axelrod is no more. It probably fell apart as a result of Manticore actions, which we'll probably learn in the MA books. So it's possible that Manpower or another MAlign front like the Jessyk Combine acquired the assets of the company as it was going down.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Interesting. If your prediction is true, the conflict the MA engineered between Haven and Manticore and the SL should have been deja vu for Haven.*

Kinda déjà vu, but not exactly. The DuQuesne Plan and the PRH was actually doing the things they were being accused of. They did conquer systems. The fact that they were manipulated into doing it and not even know that is a side discussion at that point. My prediction is that Axelrod has not gone anywhere as far, if for no other reason they have no time to do so. Remember lines of communication are much slower at this time, as there are no known Wormholes leading to this part of the Galaxy. Haven and New Berlin are actually farther from the Core than Manticore.

The prediction is that Haven is being framed, meaning they weren't guilty of the act. Oh, there may be some Havenite patsies that got duped into actually doing nefarious things, but that's not the Havenite government.

Communication, and everything else moved a lot slower as well. Which is why I said that mounting the logistics to support an operation against a WH in five years back then may have been prohibitive.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:*Late edit: In addition, if true, the MA may have been taking a page out of that book. Am I recalling correctly that Axelrod has some sort of relations to the MA?

Nothing has been explicitly said on this yet. Axelrod is headquartered on Earth (Axelrod of Terra), not on Mesa, and is interested in the wormhole for commercial reasons. There doesn't seem to be any genetic plan involved, nor galactic domination over the human race. They appear to have "simple" profit motives: they want an enviable economic position by controlling wormholes and junctions, either directly or through puppet governments.

And we also know that the Alignment was operating contemporaneously, through Manpower Inc. They had already tried to acquire treecats (SK book series). In fact, at one point in one of the MA books ("Manticore Ascendant", yet another overload to the acronym...), probably ACTA, a character wonders why the Volsungs are attacking and asks "is it about the treecats?" So if Axelrod was a MAlign company, I'd expect some coordination, which doesn't appear to have happened.

So, right now, I'm guessing that Axelrod is actually independent. Aside from the treecats, which are a mere curiosity, the Alignment has no interest in the Haven sector at all. Haven is not big enough to be the polity to confront the League. It won't be until after the Junction is discovered that they turn their attentions to the sector. Probably 50 to 100 years after that, as the Junction brings wealth to the sector and Haven benefits from it. I'm guessing that even the Economic Bill of Rights was a purely Havenite invention, not influenced by the Alignment; they only distorted it for their purposes later.

That's not to say there's no connection. There has been no mention of Axelrod in Honor's time, even in the half century preceding it in House of Steel. So my guess is that Axelrod is no more. It probably fell apart as a result of Manticore actions, which we'll probably learn in the MA books. So it's possible that Manpower or another MAlign front like the Jessyk Combine acquired the assets of the company as it was going down.

Which means Axelrod could have had access to all of the original galactic research involving all of the junctions, thus, the MA - at the very least - could have acquired the data of the WH leading to Darius and made that data disappear. At the very least, the MA could have infiltrated Axelrod long ago.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:54 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

It was mentioned in one book that Axelrod had a modern, Regional HQ at Mesa. Of course, many of the Trans-Stellars did the same to get access to many of Mesa's local advantages (Like their mercenary clearing house). Similiarly, you many find a regional HQ of many of the same Companies on Manticore for similiar reasons - to take advantages of Manticore's financial institutions, financial trading houses, financial Markets, Junction, and other Manticore unique assets.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Communication, and everything else moved a lot slower as well. Which is why I said that mounting the logistics to support an operation against a WH in five years back then may have been prohibitive.

Right, I also forgot that they were limited to gamma and delta bands of hyperspace, even for warships. And they accelerated at measly 150 gravities, but given the time spent at cruise, that's actually negligible.

Which means Axelrod could have had access to all of the original galactic research involving all of the junctions, thus, the MA - at the very least - could have acquired the data of the WH leading to Darius and made that data disappear. At the very least, the MA could have infiltrated Axelrod long ago.

That's possible, but not necessary.

The original galactic research is already completely out of date at this time. The new wormholes are being found by having new data being added to old data. The researcher at Axelrod said at the end of ACTD that the data on the MWHJ was there for everyone to see, but they hadn't connected the dots. I assume that once Manticore realises this, they would research all of the rest of the data too to find more wormholes and this may lead to discovery of the Terra Haute bridge, after the Hennesy terminus of the MWHJ is opened.

We don't know where exactly where Felix and Mannerheim are. We know Mannerheim is not part of the League as of 1923 PD. That doesn't mean it's outside the volume of the League (Mesa isn't) and the wiki says the Republic of Mannerheim is "in the influence sphere of the Solarian League." That doesn't mean much and doesn't help us locating it corresponding to the League borders of the 16th century. And even if it is inside the volume of the League at this time, Felix only has a marginally inhabitable planet, which may have not attracted attention at all (it still hadn't by the 20th century).

All this to say that it's unlikely that the Felix Wormhole Junction was found in the Axelrod data.

But you're right that if it was, the MAlign will have wiped the records.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
But if you follow the blurb, it says that this book will be centered on the Andermani Empire and a civil war there. Which is news to most of us... we'd never heard of such a thing. Was it fomented by Axelrod? If not, how does this advance the discovery of the Junction?

The blurb calls the Queen "Elizabeth I", who was actually Elizabeth II's grandmother. It may be that the writer's finger bounced, and they thought they had typed "II", but only got "I".
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:

The blurb calls the Queen "Elizabeth I", who was actually Elizabeth II's grandmother. It may be that the writer's finger bounced, and they thought they had typed "II", but only got "I".

Given the time frame then QEI would be correct.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:00 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Fox2! wrote:The blurb calls the Queen "Elizabeth I", who was actually Elizabeth II's grandmother. It may be that the writer's finger bounced, and they thought they had typed "II", but only got "I".

Given the time frame then QEI would be correct.

No, that should have been QE2. We had her ascension to the throne in one of the earlier books, after the death of King Edward I and Crown Princess Sophie in a boating accident.

QE1 was the daughter of King Roger Winton, the last Manticoran monarch to be born before the founding of the Kingdom. She was the president of the Board of Directors before the establishment of the monarchy.

Return to Honorverse