Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests

To End in Fire

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: To End in Fire
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 13449
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Brigade XO wrote:The SL did provide a number of things that were both useful and needed by it's members though some of that was twisted by the bureaucracy.

Most visible is SLN which did serve useful and beneficial roles- 1st being the stick that enforced member systems from not getting involved in military actions against one another. That internal peacekeeping showed up as a serious issue since it had been mentioned in the books that some systems had to be restrained by at least the threat of intervention from military action against neighbors (not, however against systems that were outside the League or under the "protection" of OFS. The SLN also did provide commerce protection against pirates though that is another iffy bit since OFS and their various clients were using Frontier Fleet as enforcers. FF

The League did maintain standardized trade and customs regulation (and enforcement) within the League. Based on the reading, a lot of the navigational and Astro Control regulations were also maintained at the League Level though operated by local systems.

The Gendarmerie is basically a national (in this case League wide) military organization operating as police force and working both at internal League security and enforcing League as well as various local laws in systems. (and back to the same corruption potential)

The League Assembly and other bodies provided a means and method of settling disagreements between members. The League also provided an overreaching diplomatic system both internally and with systems and Star Nations - consistency in operations is helpful. They also were providing (or were supposed to) regulation of things like Trans Stellar Corporations which are otherwise functioning as governments.

Abso-friggin-lutely! The gist of your post is something which fuels many of my notions. Regardless of what you think of the SLN, they were a peacekeeping force. Well. :roll:

They kept centuries old grievances which never really got resolved at bay. They kept some systems from exploiting other systems simply because of location. Now that that calming influence is gone it is going to get a lot worse before it settles down and gets better. I imagine new alliances are going to naturally form.

I tried to point out before that Cellular automata predicts the alliances. And the successions.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by Peter2   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

So far as I can find, the hardback version of To End in Fire is due out on 5th October, but there is no news of any other version. Has anyone heard of a publication date for the Kindle version? Or any eARC? And has there been any sign of any snippets coming out?

TIA . . .
.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am

ThinksMarkedly
Admiral

Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Peter2 wrote:So far as I can find, the hardback version of To End in Fire is due out on 5th October, but there is no news of any other version. Has anyone heard of a publication date for the Kindle version? Or any eARC? And has there been any sign of any snippets coming out?


The Kindle version is usually the same day, but it doesn't look like it's available for pre-order. Neither Governor nor The Valkyrie Protocol were available for preorder and both are a Baen books; Into the Light was available for preorder but it was published by Tor.

We'll just have to mark on our calendars.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by Peter2   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

Well now, that is interesting. Considering that this book is co-authored by David and Eric Flint, I checked Eric's website as well as this one. I did't find anything relevant to TEIF, but there's a nice collection of snippets in there – including 20+ from A Call to Vengeance – on which the listed authors are RFC, Timothy Zahn, and Thomas Pope. So it looks as though Eric may have given some uncredited input into ACTV.

I have two take-outs from this. (1) It's worth my time to check out Eric's site for information as well as RFC's, and (2) look for more that just TEIF when I'm there.

Happy hunting . . .
.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:36 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Admiral

Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Peter2 wrote:Well now, that is interesting. Considering that this book is co-authored by David and Eric Flint, I checked Eric's website as well as this one. I did't find anything relevant to TEIF, but there's a nice collection of snippets in there – including 20+ from A Call to Vengeance – on which the listed authors are RFC, Timothy Zahn, and Thomas Pope. So it looks as though Eric may have given some uncredited input into ACTV.

I have two take-outs from this. (1) It's worth my time to check out Eric's site for information as well as RFC's, and (2) look for more that just TEIF when I'm there.


Check the dates, though. ACTV was published in 2018, so the snippets may be from the published content, like we do all the time here on the forum. Don't confuse it with ACTI, which is next year (and isn't available for Kindle preorder either).

Eric must get the pre-release and even draft content from David, but he wouldn't publish any of that without David's permission.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by LTArmstrong   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:13 pm

LTArmstrong
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:15 am

Peter2 wrote:So far as I can find, the hardback version of To End in Fire is due out on 5th October, but there is no news of any other version. Has anyone heard of a publication date for the Kindle version? Or any eARC? And has there been any sign of any snippets coming out?

TIA . . .
.


Look down the subject list in this Forum you will find:

The 1st half of To End in Fire gets release July 15th 2021

Also known as this Thursday.

https://www.baen.com/categories/books-b ... -fire.html
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by Peter2   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

LTArmstrong wrote:
Peter2 wrote:So far as I can find, the hardback version of To End in Fire is due out on 5th October, but there is no news of any other version. Has anyone heard of a publication date for the Kindle version? Or any eARC? And has there been any sign of any snippets coming out?

TIA . . .
.


Look down the subject list in this Forum you will find:

The 1st half of To End in Fire gets release July 15th 2021

Also known as this Thursday.



https://www.baen.com/categories/books-b ... -fire.html


Thank you – I missed that.
.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by Peter2   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
[snip]

Eric must get the pre-release and even draft content from David, but he wouldn't publish any of that without David's permission.



Well of course he wouldn't! In my experience Eric is an honest and honorable guy!
.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by justdave   » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Peter2 wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:
[snip]

Eric must get the pre-release and even draft content from David, but he wouldn't publish any of that without David's permission.



Well of course he wouldn't! In my experience Eric is an honest and honorable guy!
.


According to the MWW during his video update on Sunday at Libertycon he said he and Eric were still finalizing TEIF but it sounds like they’re working on the last half, he said they should still make the publication date tho.
Top
Re: To End in Fire
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 am

ThinksMarkedly
Admiral

Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

justdave wrote:According to the MWW during his video update on Sunday at Libertycon he said he and Eric were still finalizing TEIF but it sounds like they’re working on the last half, he said they should still make the publication date tho.


They're still tweaking it less than 3 months from publication? Oh wow! Should we send coffee to the editors who will be pulling all-nighters?

I hope David is not changing his mind again on who he will or will not kill...
Top

Return to Honorverse