Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

Wormhole Assault: MA Style

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Wormhole Assault: MA Style
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:In my opinion, the passage seems to imply that only nominal power is available in hyperspace. Enough power to "run" the ship, but not necessarily enough to "fight" the ship, i.e., an extended energy weapons engagement. If that is the case then perhaps the nature of the Spider - seemingly more naturally designed to handle gravity - may have an energy budget advantage in hyperspace. Just a thought.

And of course, I wonder if a sitting duck in the lane has enough power on tap to fire energy weapons.

If a computer can handle micro-millisecond transit time differences between ships in a mass transit, I don't see why it couldn't time the sails perfectly of a ship at speed during transit, allowing the ship to carry a lot of velocity upon exit. This unexpected velocity may catch defenders off balance. And since transits are instantaneous, nausea may be nonexistent in this case.

We've no evidence that a spider drive's overpowered tractor beam can harvest power from a grav wave like a sail can, or from the hyperwall like a wedge can (though the wedge seems to only use that extra power to accelerate; unlike a sail it doesn't seem to be able to feed excess electricity back into the ship).

OTOH from a combat perspective I'm not sure it matters. Warships routinely carry at least one extra reactor (giving them somewhere between 25-100% more power generation than required), so they can remain combat effective despite battle damage. Presumably the Lenny Det designers didn't forgo that basic requirement; and thus when they're undamaged they'd already be capable of producing more power than they can consume. An additional energy source might save them some fuel, but it wouldn't let them expend any more energy.

The only possible advantage I can see is if the spider can harvest energy and it's more efficient at doing so than a fusion reactor then, and only then using it instead of the ship's fusion reactors would produce less waste heat and thereby reduce the thermal signature you have to beam out the stealth hole in the stealth field.

OTOH to do so while hiding at the ranges you've been suggesting in this thread means having an active drive at well inside energy range; when the MAlign knows they can detect their drive at 6 times energy range. Having the drive on is probably a bigger hit to stealth than any thermal savings you might theoretically get from siphoning power from hyper instead of ramping up your reactors.

Interesting. What if a Spider is much more efficient in its energy use. Supporting wedges would seem to be much more expensive, energy wise. Bringing up a wedge sounds like it requires much more energy. A Spider drive reminds me of a svelte, energy efficient hybrid auto engine. Unlike the energy hog of a normally aspirated engine. So, perhaps as much as a second reactor for redundancy with most of the reactor's energy available for weapons. Possible? Albeit, I recall a passage where one of the Detweilers was lamenting about not yet having broken ground on the GA powerplant. But he didn't think that breakthrough was far off. So, an LD's energy requirements might actually be quite high. Unless the miniature powerplant would be used in peripheral weaponry.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Interesting. What if a Spider is much more efficient in its energy use. Supporting wedges would seem to be much more expensive, energy wise. Bringing up a wedge sounds like it requires much more energy.

More efficient than zero? The wedge is self-sustaining once powered up. Energy is only required during power up. So if the spider can't draw energy from the alpha wall (and we have no evidence that tractors can), it will consume much more energy over a deployment than a wedge, however much energy a wedge may require to power up.

A Spider drive reminds me of a svelte, energy efficient hybrid auto engine. Unlike the energy hog of a normally aspirated engine. So, perhaps as much as a second reactor for redundancy with most of the reactor's energy available for weapons. Possible? Albeit, I recall a passage where one of the Detweilers was lamenting about not yet having broken ground on the GA powerplant. But he didn't think that breakthrough was far off. So, an LD's energy requirements might actually be quite high. Unless the miniature powerplant would be used in peripheral weaponry.

It reminds me more of a moped engine. It's pretty silent and very economical, but extremely underpowered. Which is why you have a lot of them.

Also, we're speculating the LDs have 6 or 7 full-size reactors. They don't seem to lack for volume anyway.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:(I found that looking for a scene I thought I remembered; with Michelle Henke shortly after she received command HMS Edward Saganami where she talked about it being the the first cruiser with a bow wall; but I can't seem to find that text. If Eddy also had extended range missiles I'd have thought they'd have been brought up. Still that leaves open the possibility that they came in with the Sag-A flight IIs; which is also where HoS says the bow wall first got applies to Sags. But it probably got retrofitted, as time allowed, into the older Flight I ships)

I think it's a later retrofit, something to give the older classes the range advantage without having to replace all their missile tubes with bigger ones capable of firing Mk16s.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:(I found that looking for a scene I thought I remembered; with Michelle Henke shortly after she received command HMS Edward Saganami where she talked about it being the the first cruiser with a bow wall; but I can't seem to find that text. If Eddy also had extended range missiles I'd have thought they'd have been brought up. Still that leaves open the possibility that they came in with the Sag-A flight IIs; which is also where HoS says the bow wall first got applies to Sags. But it probably got retrofitted, as time allowed, into the older Flight I ships)

I think it's a later retrofit, something to give the older classes the range advantage without having to replace all their missile tubes with bigger ones capable of firing Mk16s.

There has been at least 1 text mention in the latter books of a mk 13 ER missile in use. The Mark 13 being the standard cruiser weight laser head missile from the 1880s on. An ER version would give Star Knights and Edward Saganami Cruisers (and Homer and Reliant flight 1&2 BCs) an extended range missile. Note: it was not seen at Monica on the 2 Star Knights there.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Interesting. What if a Spider is much more efficient in its energy use. Supporting wedges would seem to be much more expensive, energy wise. Bringing up a wedge sounds like it requires much more energy.

More efficient than zero? The wedge is self-sustaining once powered up. Energy is only required during power up. So if the spider can't draw energy from the alpha wall (and we have no evidence that tractors can), it will consume much more energy over a deployment than a wedge, however much energy a wedge may require to power up.

A Spider drive reminds me of a svelte, energy efficient hybrid auto engine. Unlike the energy hog of a normally aspirated engine. So, perhaps as much as a second reactor for redundancy with most of the reactor's energy available for weapons. Possible? Albeit, I recall a passage where one of the Detweilers was lamenting about not yet having broken ground on the GA powerplant. But he didn't think that breakthrough was far off. So, an LD's energy requirements might actually be quite high. Unless the miniature powerplant would be used in peripheral weaponry.

It reminds me more of a moped engine. It's pretty silent and very economical, but extremely underpowered. Which is why you have a lot of them.

Also, we're speculating the LDs have 6 or 7 full-size reactors. They don't seem to lack for volume anyway.

My apologies. There are two totally unrelated notions in my post that probably should have had separate paragraphs.

Once a wedge comes up it is self-sustaining. Yes. But I'm assuming the reactor has to run at full power to supply the ship.

I was positing the LD could have an overall lower power consumption during operation, which means the reactor may run at lower output levels, which means heat generation would be lower, thus much lower waste heat is created.

The 6 or 7 reactors that everyone is guestimating seems ludicrous in the face of the stealth equation and waste heat expulsion. Let's face it. If a Spider has 7 reactors, I'd wager at least 4 or 5 are online at all times. That is a lot of waste heat generated. I'm not saying everyone is wrong, but that I'm shocked.

If that is the case, it is little wonder the MA wants to crack open the GA powerplant. What a boon it should/would be for their stealth equation.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 pm

munroburton
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Also, we're speculating the LDs have 6 or 7 full-size reactors. They don't seem to lack for volume anyway.

I don't see why they would need that many. Reactors are scalable. If your ship needs five hundred terawatts to fly(& fight & all the rest of it), you can basically use twelve 50-terawatt reactors or three 250-terawatt reactors.

But I think past a certain point, having too many reactors becomes too dangerous. They are things opponents would quite like to hit, after all. Each one has to be protected from all sides(especially in a spider ship, which can't skimp on ventral/dorsal armour).
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Once a wedge comes up it is self-sustaining. Yes. But I'm assuming the reactor has to run at full power to supply the ship.

Under battle conditions, yes, the ship requires N-1 reactors to supply full power, if it has N reactors aboard.

Under cruise conditions, it will probably down one or more, especially if it is drawing power from the grav wave through the sails. That reduces the clock on the reactor and it also allows for preventative maintenance. Though I imagine that the skipper will not allow more than one reactor to be downchecked at any point in time.

I was positing the LD could have an overall lower power consumption during operation, which means the reactor may run at lower output levels, which means heat generation would be lower, thus much lower waste heat is created.

The 6 or 7 reactors that everyone is guestimating seems ludicrous in the face of the stealth equation and waste heat expulsion. Let's face it. If a Spider has 7 reactors, I'd wager at least 4 or 5 are online at all times. That is a lot of waste heat generated. I'm not saying everyone is wrong, but that I'm shocked.

I don't see how it could be the case. We've pretty much established that wedges don't require more than a trickle of power to be kept up, if any at all. It's possible a DD, CL, or especially a 2-reactor CA would need both reactors running to charge the capacitors to bring the wedge up. But once that has happened, the power draw will go back to normal, even if "normal combat load" which we know requires only 1 reactor for all ships the size of a Star Knight or smaller.

Therefore, the power requirements aren't for the ship's propulsion system. It's for running everything else, especially energy weapons. That means a 5-reactor superdreadnought needs 4 reactors running for a full combat load, excluding the wedge. A big question here is whether the sidewalls are powered by the wedge or if they require reactor power. For the sake of the argument, let's say they draw reactor power and are energy hogs.

The big difference to a spider-drive ship is how it approaches combat. Namely, that it doesn't [u]approach[/i] at all, instead relying on stealth. It has no sidewalls to consume power. And as I said previously on this thread, if it has to use its energy mounts, something has already gone terribly wrong. So an an "LD in combat" will neither be firing energy mounts nor powering a sidewall. At best, it will be using rails to shoot graser torpedoes out.

With that, I could agree that a 12-million tonne LD could have the same power requirements as a ship one tenth its size (the Agammemnons are 1.75 million tonnes and the Reliants are 0.9). We know from textev that HMS Nike BC-413 had 3 reactors, so let's say an LD requires 3 reactors for its full combat load.

You're also right that thermodynamics plays a part here: all that waste heat has to go somewhere. The advantage the LD has is that it has a much bigger area to radiate it from than a BC. If mass is proportional to volume (it usually is), the square-cube law says it'll have 10^(2/3) the area of a BC, ~4.64x. We're also speculating that the LD will mass 12 million tonnes, we don't know that. They can be much bigger and thus have a bigger area to radiate from.

If that is the case, it is little wonder the MA wants to crack the GA powerplant. What a boon it should/would be for their stealth.

I don't think it is. They want to produce the same amount of power from smaller plants. Waste heat is probably proportional to the power produced, regardless of how big the reactors are. I mean, you could have a Black Hole producing 1 GW of power in the ship's belly and it would have a radius of 0.88 fm (femtometers, 10^-15 m). That BH would also clock at nearly half a trillion metric tonnes of mass, but who's counting?

EFficiency will count a lot, since the energy that is produced but isn't consumed is excess heat.

But no, it looks like they want the smaller reactors so they can fit them inside smaller bodies, especially those of LACs, recon drones, and missiles. The conversation between Detweiler and Detweiler you're thinking of was talking about the Silver Bullet's size and the fact that it was 3x as big as a Ghost Rider because they hadn't cracked the reactor secret yet.

Such a breakthrough would make it possible to make smaller graser torpedoes still powered by the spider drive, though they'd also lose in acceleration.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You are judging the LD by the same paradigms which govern wedge powered ships. This is a consistent mistake made on the forum. Made even when considering an LD's tactics.* I may be in error for doing so, but I am allowing for the fact that submarines had a significantly lower power demand than carriers and other warships. Especially under battle conditions. Heck, a sub spends most of its time hiding and going dark. where many systems are shut down. Granted, an LD is mostly related to nuclear subs but they still may operate at minimal power levels at most times than their GA counterparts.

Also, GA ships have lots of systems which are energy hogs (my own assumptions) which constantly eat power during battle. Systems that an LD don't have. I always imagined that GA warships may need both reactors during specific battles. And that that second reactor is always kept "hot" not "warm." And certainly not cold.

The Captain can indeed fight the ship with only one reactor. Honor could have continued to fight Fearless with only one reactor. But her ability to engage in an extended energy battle would have been limited. I don't get the feeling that GA ships are designed for extended energy battles. Nor do they expect energy battles to last very long. The capacitors would be quickly depleted even if the graser could withstand constant fire. They would discharge very quickly against an enemy whose invisibility generates a lot of misses. There is only going to be a very limited amount of energy stored in the mains powering energy weapons.

Let us investigate a wedge powered ship's possible energy consumption.

- The hyper generator and it's supporting capacitors must be kept charged at all times. And these super capacitors may have to be constantly topped off if they have any kinship to modern analogues. Especially during battle.

- Sidewalls. I have always posited that Sidewalls must be gluttonous energy hogs. Any tech that can create a (focused area of gravity?) that can attenuate energy weapons simply has to require copius amounts of energy. Personally, I wouldn't expect Sidewalls to be any more frugal than Star Trek's shields. "We need more power to the shields Scotty!"

In contrast, a Spider may not have Sidewalls. Hopefully it has a spherical sidewall. But, this sidewall won't be active during battle stations. Unlike GA ships where all of the hogs are always slopping up energy at the trough during battle.

- PDLCs firing like a laser show at a rave club!

- Missile launchers threatening to overheat.

- Max engines.

- Compensator. Pour on the accel, raise the power consumption. The LD should save on its energy bill here as well.

- Rad shields. Energy usage increases with speed and accel. An SD has 4-6 reactors and thousands of capacitor rings storing plasma powering both the mains and subsystems. It is just a plain old energy hog. It burns more "fuel" than my brother's 1970 'Cuda! :o

But, an LD is always crawling, tip-toeing and creeping. Compared to GA ships whose deflection system simply has to be an energy hog during high accels (frankly, I've always considered that this tech must have a very high demand for concentrated handwavium).

Over in the debris thread, I posited that the capacitors are constantly kept at a full charge and that the reactor is constantly at work trying to keep them charged, especially under the heavy load of battle conditions.

It may be different for the LD. The LD may have almost no drain on the reactor in comparison to the high demand of GA ships.

Plus, if there is an insignificant demand on the reactor, even under battle conditions then there is a lot of surplus energy available from the reactor which can power other systems. Like a hellishly powerful complement of WTF! energy weapons.

Under normal battle conditions, Fearless would have been able to continue to fight the ship with one reactor. But her energy weapon capability would have been severely handicapped, against a nontraditional enemy which constantly made her miss. GA philosophy doesn't design energy weapons that can be powered for an extended amount of time. Traditional HV ships don't expect energy engagements to last very long. But if an unprecedented enemy is generating lots of misses, the supercapacitors will discharge very quickly. "We have enough power in the mains for one more shot!"

Notes: The MA could design quick-start reactors, and close to instant charge capacitors. I don't think instant charge capacitors are possible because it would allow the development of a perpetual energy source. God territory.

Heat dissipation. Consider that a Spider's irregular shape could have turned out to be fortuitous in its effort to dissipate heat. Modern heatsink technology has found specific shapes to be more efficient in dissipating heat.

* Tactics: I still think the MA should develop a missile which achieves enormously unprecedented velocities launched from kissing distances. No other navy has had cause or motivation to develop such a missile which shoots its wad very quickly!

I always thought an LD can take on a Fort and win, if it fires first discharging massive energy weapons from whatever passes as an LD's knife-fighting range. In fact, imagine an LD which manages to tip-toe inside the concentric shell of Forts. It may be able to take out several Forts at once, from such close ranges in a surprise attack. Sidewalls will fall easily from such close attacks.

Summary: A Spider's energy consumption may be much lower, even during battle stations. Leaving lots of energy which can be used elsewhere. Even if consumption is high during actual battle when her godawful mains are firing.

Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

More efficient than zero? The wedge is self-sustaining once powered up. Energy is only required during power up. So if the spider can't draw energy from the alpha wall (and we have no evidence that tractors can), [b]it will consume much more energy over a deployment than a wedge, however much energy a wedge may require to power up.

So, the MA may have to contend with a warship that gets low mileage on road trips. That's okay. I don't imagine them leaving the garage too often. But once it arrives in-sysem ...

More important is the energy consumption during battle.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:32 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You are judging the LD by the same paradigms which govern wedge powered ships. This is a consistent mistake made on the forum. Made even when considering an LD's tactics.* I may be in error for doing so, but I am allowing for the fact that submarines had a significantly lower power demand than carriers and other warships. Especially under battle conditions. Heck, a sub spends most of its time hiding and going dark. where many systems are shut down. Granted, an LD is mostly related to nuclear subs but they still may operate at minimal power levels at most times than their GA counterparts.

It's the only metre stick we have. Anything else is pure speculation, even more so than the speculation that we can compare to a regular warship's power consumption. You're right that we don't know and we won't know until we see them in battle (speculation: not until the end of the book after this year's).

I don't get the feeling that GA ships are designed for extended energy battles. Nor do they expect energy battles to last very long. The capacitors would be quickly depleted even if the graser could withstand constant fire. They would discharge very quickly against an enemy whose invisibility generates a lot of misses. There is only going to be a very limited amount of energy stored in the mains powering energy weapons.

I'd expect the capacitors are drained after a single shot. That's why they are capacitors. They are recharged from the reactor between shots, so the ammo for energy weapons is just the reactor fuel: if it can generate power, it can fire.

Modulo battle damage and its own lifetime issues. A graser mount might be rated for 1000 shots between heavy servicing. So if the ship is firing them once every 2 seconds, it's risking damage from using the mount after roughly 2000 seconds (that's just over 30 minutes). So it's probably more than 1000 shots, probably an order of magnitude more.

- The hyper generator and it's supporting capacitors must be kept charged at all times. And these super capacitors may have to be constantly topped off if they have any kinship to modern analogues. Especially during battle.

LDs have hyper generators. Their generators are probably MUCH less efficient than an RMN equivalent, for two reasons: first, the RMN has the tech edge and second, the LD is probably using streak drive generators. So at best this is a wash.

- Sidewalls. I have always posited that Sidewalls must be gluttonous energy hogs. Any tech that can create a (focused area of gravity?) that can attenuate energy weapons simply has to require copius amounts of energy. Personally, I wouldn't expect Sidewalls to be any more frugal than Star Trek's shields. "We need more power to the shields Scotty!"

In contrast, a Spider may not have Sidewalls. Hopefully it has a spherical sidewall. But, this sidewall won't be active during battle stations. Unlike GA ships where all of the hogs are always slopping up energy at the trough during battle.

I agree that they are probably energy hogs. But we don't know if they are powered for free from the wedge or if they consume reactor power. If the former, it's a wash. If the latter, then the ship with no sidewalls is very much ahead in power needs and therefore emission, but also much more vulnerable.

The bubblewalls are irrelevant, even if the LD has them, as you said.

- PDLCs firing like a laser show at a rave club!

- Missile launchers threatening to overheat.

So long as it has remained undetected, sure, the PDLCs won't be firing. But to keep PDLCs and CM launchers powered down? That's sloppy operation. What if you suddenly need them? "Oops, we screwed up, see you next life."

Missile launchers would be powered down, because just like the side- or bubblewalls, it means you're already in trouble. Maybe a last-ditch effort if someone did stumble on you, though.

But the torpedo launch rails would be active and that would be of comparable energy consumption as an SD(P)'s rear door launcher. Multiplied by as many tubes this thing has.

- Max engines.

- Compensator. Pour on the accel, raise the power consumption. The LD should save on its energy bill here as well.

The engines are free, once powered up. At worst, we can talk about the reactors keeping the capacitors used for bringing the wedge up again always charged, in case the wedge does go down due to battle damage.

The compensators use the gravity sump of the wedge, so like the sidewalls they could be powered off the wedge too, thus free. We don't know. But even assuming they aren't, the LD is running a power-draining 150-gravity grav plate, which the GA ships aren't.

- Rad shields. Energy usage increases with speed and accel. An SD has 4-6 reactors and thousands of capacitor rings storing plasma powering both the mains and subsystems. It is just a plain old energy hog. It burns more "fuel" than my brother's 1970 'Cuda! :o

LD must also have rad shields, so again a wash.

But, an LD is always crawling, tip-toeing and creeping. Compared to GA ships whose deflection system simply has to be an energy hog during high accels (frankly, I've always considered that this tech must have a very high demand for concentrated handwavium).

Low accel does not mean low speeds. It just takes longer to reach a high speed. And that's what I predict its preferred strategy will be: high speed pass through the battle zone, doing as much damage to stationary targets as possible before any defenders can mobilise and get to speed. By the time they do, the trail to the LD is cold and it's hypered out.

Over in the debris thread, I posited that the capacitors are constantly kept at a full charge and that the reactor is constantly at work trying to keep them charged, especially under the heavy load of battle conditions.

I agree, see above.

It may be different for the LD. The LD may have almost no drain on the reactor in comparison to the high demand of GA ships.

I completely disagree. Some of its systems will draw even more power than an equivalent GA ship. The only one I'll give you is the hyper generator in the case of a suicide mission: if the crew plans on dying anyway, then it can keep that powered down. Defence must be powered up so it has better chances of completing the mission, in case of accidental discovery (don't ignore Murphy!).

Plus, if there is an insignificant demand on the reactor, even under battle conditions then there is a lot of surplus energy available from the reactor which can power other systems. Like a hellishly powerful complement of WTF! energy weapons.

Pushing more power through a system not rated for it will just fry it sooner or make a big boom. On the other hand, if their graser mounts have the ability to handle more power, that means they were designed for that. And if so, the designers would have put reactors that can push that much power to all of the grasers.

Notes: The MA could design quick-start reactors, and close to instant charge capacitors. I don't think instant charge capacitors are possible because it would allow the development of a perpetual energy source. God territory.

That's not how capacitors and energy work, but the conclusion is the same.

If you could charge a capacitor instantly, that means you are delivering to it all the energy it can store in that instant (meaning the power transfer is very high, near infinite). If you have a power source that can produce that much power, you don't need the capacitor in the first place: just power the system directly from the reactor.

Heat dissipation. Consider that a Spider's irregular shape could have turned out to be fortuitous in its effort to dissipate heat. Modern heatsink technology has found specific shapes to be more efficient in dissipating heat.

Hmm... possible: because of its triangular cross-section, instead of a circle, the area/enclosed volume ratio is higher for the LD than a traditional cigar-shaped ship. The circle is the shape that has the smallest perimeter/area ratio (of regular shapes, anyway), after all.

However, all those overpowered tractors not only block emission, they also generate heat of their own. So we can't come to a conclusion on this.

In any case, we have not been told that the surface of the LD is corrugated to increase emission area.

* Tactics: I still think the MA should develop a missile which achieves enormously unprecedented velocities launched from kissing distances. No other navy has had cause or motivation to develop such a missile which shoots its wad very quickly!

It should also develop a nova bomb, a cheap antimatter generator, and a time-travel device. FTL communication over long distances would also come in handy.

ALL navies have the motivation to develop faster missiles.

I always thought an LD can take on a Fort and win, if it fires first discharging massive energy weapons from whatever passes as an LD's knife-fighting range. In fact, imagine an LD which manages to tip-toe inside the concentric shell of Forts. It may be able to take out several Forts at once, from such close ranges in a surprise attack. Sidewalls will fall easily from such close attacks.

All those that don't have sidewalls up, yes. Then the LD dies from those that did.

Sidewalls can fall and are definitely not impenetrable. But it takes time to get through one, not to mention that the shots that do penetrate may not do sufficient damage to take the fort out of commission. A single fort outmasses the LD (likely) and has no reason to keep its emissions down. So it will heavily outgun the LD. Which in turn has no sidewalls up. So the LD dies on the first counter battery fire.

Return to Honorverse