Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Wormhole Assault: MA Style

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Wormhole Assault: MA Style
Post by kzt   » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Don't forget that without an impeller wedge of its own, a spider vessel is vulnerable to collisions with other objects' wedges. The humblest countermissile out there, without even the Viper's modest payload or an old-fashioned nuke, can mince a spider ship into its constituent atoms simply by running over it.

To add insult to injury, the ramming missile isn't even destroyed in the process!

Active defenses such as raising its spherical sidewall or launching its own countermissiles can prevent that but every time they do, they have given away their locus. If they use point-defense lasers, that fix becomes very precise indeed.

I suspect the missile will mysteriously explode.

And I do wonder how you expect that a gamma ray laser being fired in hard vacuum will somehow provide localization. Can you clarify the mechanism?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:14 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:I suspect the missile will mysteriously explode.

And I do wonder how you expect that a gamma ray laser being fired in hard vacuum will somehow provide localization. Can you clarify the mechanism?

It's not a hard vacuum. The interplanetary medium is a warm plasma with a density of 100 particles/cm³. That graser or PDL will excite a lot of particles, which will re-emit, scattering the beam into all directions and allowing detectors outside of the target to see it. Mind you the context here is that it's a missile, so it stands to reason that someone is looking very intently at that region of space, plus all the missiles around the exploding one that area scanning and transmitting back.

Even if they don't, the missiles exploding do help pinpoint the general location of where the ship is. It would be a much bigger volume, maybe up to a million km in radius, but every successive salvo that gets shot down shrinks the volume for the next one.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 pm

munroburton
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
kzt wrote:I suspect the missile will mysteriously explode.

It's not a hard vacuum. The interplanetary medium is a warm plasma with a density of 100 particles/cm³. That graser or PDL will excite a lot of particles, which will re-emit, scattering the beam into all directions and allowing detectors outside of the target to see it. Mind you the context here is that it's a missile, so it stands to reason that someone is looking very intently at that region of space, plus all the missiles around the exploding one that area scanning and transmitting back.

Even if they don't, the missiles exploding do help pinpoint the general location of where the ship is. It would be a much bigger volume, maybe up to a million km in radius, but every successive salvo that gets shot down shrinks the volume for the next one.

Effective PDLC range is only about 100,000km, maybe a bit less. If a missile blows up due to PDLC, that's the maximum distance the spider ship was from it.

They don't even need to map the PDLC fire; they just have to recognise that's what happened to their missile.
Post by Relax   » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Relax
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:But you're missing my point. The control missiles are fiendishly effective when targeting wedges. It does not have inherent sensors to detect the LD. Only the many(?) newly minted Manty platforms can do that.

Missile terminal acquisition is done via radar and lidar on missiles, not gravity waves. Missiles do not attack or sense wedges.

Yes, missiles have gravity sensors.
1) Appendix Picture in Storm from the Shadows and several pearls show/say they do
2) The sensors in question are "myopic" and very narrow beamed as opening AAC prologue makes clear among other places in several books.

The question is will said gravity sensors do any good in detecting/tracking a Lenny D
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:47 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Yes, missiles have gravity sensors.
1) Appendix Picture in Storm from the Shadows and several pearls show/say they do
2) The sensors in question are "myopic" and very narrow beamed as opening AAC prologue makes clear among other places in several books.

The question is will said gravity sensors do any good in detecting/tracking a Lenny D

Well, wrong I am then. But it is always good to find a new nugget of detail which was overlooked before.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse