Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

What's the Point of Raoul?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by Relax   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I think the next story arc will be written like the Shadow of Saganami arc. There will be no one key character. Instead we will have and ensemble of characters each telling the story from a separate part of the plot.

Honor will occupy the central hub where all the spokes connect. Yet much like any central hub, it doesn't really move as much as the outer edge of the spokes. She will command the central fleet and speak with the movers and shakers of the Confederated Alliance.

DW extensively addresses this issue in the Royal Manticoran Navy interview I linked. Takes up at least half an hour of the first 2 hours. Instead of me trying to paraphrase, go get it from the horses mouth. :)
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Where is that link?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Where is that link?

See thread David Weber/Eric Flint The Manticoran Navy Youtube interview
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:44 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I think the next story arc will be written like the Shadow of Saganami arc. There will be no one key character. Instead we will have and ensemble of characters each telling the story from a separate part of the plot.

Honor will occupy the central hub where all the spokes connect. Yet much like any central hub, it doesn't really move as much as the outer edge of the spokes. She will command the central fleet and speak with the movers and shakers of the Confederated Alliance.
Relax wrote:DW extensively addresses this issue in the Royal Manticoran Navy interview I linked. Takes up at least half an hour of the first 2 hours. Instead of me trying to paraphrase, go get it from the horses mouth. :)

Yup and I am right in my assertion.
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Hmmm, that can be extremely good, as in Torch of Freedom (told largely from the point of view of Jack McBryde); or less good, as in Shadow of Victory, where there is no one main POV.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:08 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:Hmmm, that can be extremely good, as in Torch of Freedom (told largely from the point of view of Jack McBryde); or less good, as in Shadow of Victory, where there is no one main POV.

I think that the Shadow of Victory style was a result in cramming more information than was originally planned. Had AAC happened as originally planned, SoV would not have been needed. Had RFC decided earlier to keep Honor alive, he could have seeded the needed information in the earlier novels.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:Hmmm, that can be extremely good, as in Torch of Freedom (told largely from the point of view of Jack McBryde); or less good, as in Shadow of Victory, where there is no one main POV.

I think that the Shadow of Victory style was a result in cramming more information than was originally planned. Had AAC happened as originally planned, SoV would not have been needed. Had RFC decided earlier to keep Honor alive, he could have seeded the needed information in the earlier novels.

More importantly, SOV was David's attempt to patch all the holes and level the story out so those story lines could be ready for UH. We all complained how the last 3 books all ended within "roughly" a 12 hour window; well, SoV was trying to tie all those stories together and bring them all to that same plot point, so the story, as a whole, could move forward.

Unfortunately, we were ready for, had been initially hinted to, and were anticipating what became UH, not SoV.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by DaveB63   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:14 pm

DaveB63
Midshipman

I honestly think speculation is futile - Characters like Raoul are forged out of their backstory, and they tend to come to life on their own and start "writing themselves" in spite of what the author may have originally planned. We've already seen his MOTHER do that!
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

DaveB63 wrote:I honestly think speculation is futile - Characters like Raoul are forged out of their backstory, and they tend to come to life on their own and start "writing themselves" in spite of what the author may have originally planned. We've already seen his MOTHER do that!

Good point Dave. I'd wager that that is the case for many if not most authors. And also for many characters. I'd bet it has been the case for several characters in the HV already. Like Helen and her boyfriend Paulo. Harahap. Reverend Hanks. Prestwick ...

And for Honor herself. Honor wrote herself a get out of jail card. Err, make that a get off of death row card. "What do you mean you intend to kill me off! I'm Sally Mander!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:04 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

DaveB63 wrote:I honestly think speculation is futile - Characters like Raoul are forged out of their backstory, and they tend to come to life on their own and start "writing themselves" in spite of what the author may have originally planned. We've already seen his MOTHER do that!

There's still a question whether they'll have the opportunity to be developed at all. If the story concludes within the next 20 T-years, they won't have graduated from their education courses, so their contributions would be minimal.

Aside from a story like "Ruthless," in which Ruth was the central theme, but not the central character, I see only anthology side-stories on them in this time period.

Return to Honorverse