Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

What's the Point of Raoul?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:39 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2559
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Given that we have limited insights into his character, I think it would be interesting to have a sort-of-side-book showing the potential time-skip from Benjamin Detweiler's viewpoint.
Having him react to the regular updates on "what that damned Lost Alpha Harrington and her spawn" are doing and the conclusions that he draws from them could be quite interesting, especially given that the MAlign have lost their best windows into what the Alliance are doing/thinking.
It could even be possible to contrast it with Raul-through-the-Academy, he knows far more than normal due to his family connections while his abilities could let him truly identify/understand other people's ways of thinking.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 13238
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

As I see it, the rubber band has been forever tightening, and it will eventually snap forward 20+ years. It appears to be inevitable. And sooner, not later.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:25 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

cthia wrote:As I see it, the rubber band has been forever tightening, and it will eventually snap forward 20+ years. It appears to be inevitable. And sooner, not later.


What is the rubber band metaphor supposed to refer to?
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 13238
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:As I see it, the rubber band has been forever tightening, and it will eventually snap forward 20+ years. It appears to be inevitable. And sooner, not later.


What is the rubber band metaphor supposed to refer to?

The author's "resistance" to the build-up of storyline and its demands of being advanced. If the author is to deliver to us an enemy who is not simply a cardboard cutout like the SLN, then round one (and possibly more) will go to the MA and the LDs. The GA needs time to find Darius, time to find a way to neutralize MA stealth, time to rebuild the Navies destroyed and time for new characters to grow up and take a bow. The rubber band has been stretching from the author's resistance, and time.

Huge rubber bands are used to supply resistance in many devices. E.g., exercise equipment.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:46 am

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

cthia wrote:The author's "resistance" to the build-up of storyline and its demands of being advanced. If the author is to deliver to us an enemy who is not simply a cardboard cutout like the SLN, then round one (and possibly more) will go to the MA and the LDs. The GA needs time to find Darius, time to find a way to neutralize MA stealth, time to rebuild the Navies destroyed and time for new characters to grow up and take a bow. The rubber band has been stretching from the author's resistance, and time.


I agree they time, but do they need more than 15 T-years? That all rests upon whether the MAlign is going to sit quiet in their corner of the Galaxy or not. So do you think they will? Not "should they," the question is "will they?"
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by jtg452   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:14 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I agree they time, but do they need more than 15 T-years? That all rests upon whether the MAlign is going to sit quiet in their corner of the Galaxy or not. So do you think they will? Not "should they," the question is "will they?"


A longer jump wouldn't have a great impact on the cast of characters since practically all of them have received prolong.

Even 40-50 years wouldn't change much other than the Protectorship of Grayson if you are looking at the major players. Many of the Torch cabinet would be gone, too, but I would argue that Torch's government are minor characters in the current overall storyline.

Considering how the MA has been built up as the ultimate boogeyman that has been lurking in the shadows centuries, ferreting them out shouldn't be an easy or quick task. A generation or two is still very fast in the face of how much prep time the MA has had.
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4295
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: All over the Place - Now Serving Dublin, OH

jtg452 wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:I agree they time, but do they need more than 15 T-years? That all rests upon whether the MAlign is going to sit quiet in their corner of the Galaxy or not. So do you think they will? Not "should they," the question is "will they?"


A longer jump wouldn't have a great impact on the cast of characters since practically all of them have received prolong.

Even 40-50 years wouldn't change much other than the Protectorship of Grayson if you are looking at the major players. Many of the Torch cabinet would be gone, too, but I would argue that Torch's government are minor characters in the current overall storyline.

Considering how the MA has been built up as the ultimate boogeyman that has been lurking in the shadows centuries, ferreting them out shouldn't be an easy or quick task. A generation or two is still very fast in the face of how much prep time the MA has had.



well, it would make those now junior officers, senior officers; and children would become seasoned, junior officers
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 13238
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

And by that time, Raoul should be exhibiting plenty of those treecat super powers we all know he has.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

jtg452 wrote:A longer jump wouldn't have a great impact on the cast of characters since practically all of them have received prolong.

Even 40-50 years wouldn't change much other than the Protectorship of Grayson if you are looking at the major players. Many of the Torch cabinet would be gone, too, but I would argue that Torch's government are minor characters in the current overall storyline.

Considering how the MA has been built up as the ultimate boogeyman that has been lurking in the shadows centuries, ferreting them out shouldn't be an easy or quick task. A generation or two is still very fast in the face of how much prep time the MA has had.


I agree they could wait. But that doesn't answer my question: do you think the MAlign will wait?
Top
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 13238
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
jtg452 wrote:A longer jump wouldn't have a great impact on the cast of characters since practically all of them have received prolong.

Even 40-50 years wouldn't change much other than the Protectorship of Grayson if you are looking at the major players. Many of the Torch cabinet would be gone, too, but I would argue that Torch's government are minor characters in the current overall storyline.

Considering how the MA has been built up as the ultimate boogeyman that has been lurking in the shadows centuries, ferreting them out shouldn't be an easy or quick task. A generation or two is still very fast in the face of how much prep time the MA has had.


I agree they could wait. But that doesn't answer my question: do you think the MAlign will wait?

Of course they won't wait. The LDs are ready and are either working up, or jockeying for position in unsuspecting systems even as we speak. The MA has waited long enough. And people and systems and planets and governments have Dets to pay. Lenny Dets.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse