Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Something Noticed in Passing

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Something Noticed in Passing
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I was looking through _War Maid's Choice_ (published in 2013) the other day and noticed the dedication. It was to somebody who had died the previous year at age 21 and it also mentioned the names of his parents and siblings. I found a brief obituary online (he had died after a five year struggle with bone cancer). Why is this on topic? His name was Indiana Graham (father's name was Bruce and one sister was named Mackenzie).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Re: Something Noticed in Passing
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bravo! Thanks for that Robert.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:59 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Another one is when I found this Youtube Video title "People's Republic of Haven Panel (HonorCon 2013)" with David. The opening card says "David Weber, Jan Kotouč."

And then you realise this is 2013, 5 years before Uncompromising Honor came out, and Jan is a real person.

Speaking of "coincidences," Robert, are you related to the journalist who's just published a book on the American president? :)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:28 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Another one is when I found this Youtube Video title "People's Republic of Haven Panel (HonorCon 2013)" with David. The opening card says "David Weber, Jan Kotouč."

And then you realise this is 2013, 5 years before Uncompromising Honor came out, and Jan is a real person.

Speaking of "coincidences," Robert, are you related to the journalist who's just published a book on the American president? :)

Probably not related (Woodward is an occupational name, just like Cooper, Miller, Smith, and Wright - though not as common). OTOH, my father believed that we were descended from a Woodward who showed up the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. I was not convinced, though an aunt found my great-great grandfather's name in a genealogy (that Woodward had several brothers). Again, I am not certain that individual was my g-g-grandfather (at least he was born around the right year).

BTW, a Tomasz Szponder* is connected to David Weber's Polish publisher.

* See _Shadow of Victory_ (chapter 3, et al)
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by justdave   » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:51 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was looking through _War Maid's Choice_ (published in 2013) the other day and noticed the dedication. It was to somebody who had died the previous year at age 21 and it also mentioned the names of his parents and siblings. I found a brief obituary online (he had died after a five year struggle with bone cancer). Why is this on topic? His name was Indiana Graham (father's name was Bruce and one sister was named Mackenzie).

Another interesting factoid on War God series from a Weberverse YouTube video a couple of months ago is that SotS is actually the very first novel the MWW wrote but had been lost until recently when the big floppies turned up,

Return to Honorverse