Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Abigale Hearns

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Abigale Hearns
Post by jtg452   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Well, knowing human nature and the Newsies, someone is bound to label Abigail, if not one of Honor's actual offsprings, 'Baby Sally.'

Not in Steadholder Owens' hearing they won't. Or Steadholder Harrington's, for that matter.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:
cthia wrote:
Well, knowing human nature and the Newsies, someone is bound to label Abigail, if not one of Honor's actual offsprings, 'Baby Sally.'

Not in Steadholder Owens' hearing they won't. Or Steadholder Harrington's, for that matter.

LOL

I agree. I never said it would be embraced. It'd be more like a contraband name in the spirit of The Nasty Kitty.

Honor wouldn't like it either, but, still, resisting Newsies and human nature is futile.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:It depends on whether or not RFC follows his original idea of doing a jump forward in time for the next arc or not.

The original plan had Raoul and his generation taking down the MA.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Unless he changes his mind again, that plan is scrapped. He's already dropped enough hints and a few concrete details indicating so.

That doesn't mean we'll have shorter time jumps, like the 3 years between OBS and HotQ.

Wasn't the plan to skip to Honor's children dependent on Honor dying at the Battle of Manticore?

We know that the next book with Eric Flint (tentatively titled Cloak of Evil, which is the sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts) begins at about the end of UH, and features Damien Harahap and cat joining Zilwicki and Cachet. There probably will be appearances by the ghost hunters also.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Unless he changes his mind again, that plan is scrapped. He's already dropped enough hints and a few concrete details indicating so.

That doesn't mean we'll have shorter time jumps, like the 3 years between OBS and HotQ.

Wasn't the plan to skip to Honor's children dependent on Honor dying at the Battle of Manticore?

Yes. And she didn't die.

More importantly:
We know that the next book with Eric Flint (tentatively titled Cloak of Evil, which is the sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts) begins at about the end of UH, and features Damien Harahap and cat joining Zilwicki and Cachet. There probably will be appearances by the ghost hunters also.

The whole Crown of Slaves series advanced the timeline. The Solarian League was supposed to have some 20 years to realise it was out of date before it got defeated. It got defeated in 2.
Post by Vince   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to Abigail ending up in a Grayson uniform. And since there has already been two attacks on Grayson, it seems they need her. You all know I'm a softie for strong female characters. It seems fitting, in the seemingly female dominated Honorverse, that Grayson's MVP becomes a female, who is also a Steadholder's daughter. How's that for upsetting Grayson's male dominated society's status quo?

Besides, I think RFC has done a fine job of setting the stage for kick-ass peripheral characters, if Megan Petersen is any omen. Also, Michelle Henke still has some time to get more of her name up in lights.

Abigail has been wearing her Grayson Space Navy uniform ever since we first saw her at Saganami Island at Honor's dinner party at her house at Landing in:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 23 wrote:Wineglasses were lowered around the table, and side conversations began once again, but the formalities weren't quite finished, and Honor glanced at Midshipwoman Abigail Hearns. The young woman looked back for a moment, then stood, drawing a deep breath of her own, if less obviously than Theodore had, and raised her own glass.
"Ladies and Gentlemen," she announced in a soft, foreign accent, "I give you Grayson, the Keys, the Sword, and the Tester!"
There was a moment of consternation before the other glasses rose once more, and Honor hid a wicked smile as the other officers and midshipmen stumbled through the response. One or two got it right; the rest clearly hoped their imperfect efforts were lost in the general mumble, and she found it hard not to giggle at the emotions flowing back to her from her guests. With the exception of Mike Henke and, she suspected, Andrea Jaruwalski, none of the others had ever heard the Grayson loyalty toast, and it was darned well time they did. Honor's other Navy had paid for its equality with the RMN in blood and courage, and she was determined to see that it received it.
She let Hearns see just a small smile of approval, and the young woman sank back into her seat. Honor could taste the youngster's vast relief, and she set her own wineglass back down and reached over to rub Nimitz's ears, partly to give Hearns a chance to settle completely back down. The midshipwoman was a good two T-years older than Theodore, but in many ways, what she'd just done had been even harder for her than it had for the younger midshipman, and Honor was proud of her.
In fact, she was proud of young Abigail Hearns for a lot of reasons. She'd been astonished, the first day she'd called the roll at the beginning of this quarter's Intro to Tactics classes, to hear a soft, unmistakable accent respond to the name Hearns. Her own head had snapped up in a surprised movement she'd been unable to prevent, and her one good eye had widened as she saw the blue-on-blue Grayson uniform sitting amid a sea of Manticoran black-and-gold. It wasn't the only Grayson uniform scattered about the large room, but it was the only one which contained a midshipwoman. The very first midshipwoman in the history of the Grayson Space Navy, in point of fact.
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:45 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 23 wrote:It wasn't the only Grayson uniform scattered about the large room, but it was the only one which contained a midshipwoman. The very first midshipwoman in the history of the Grayson Space Navy, in point of fact.
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.

Good quote Vince.

I just have to add that there's a second now: Midshipwoman Rachel Mayhew. And she comes with a treecat!
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:57 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Rachel is not the 2nd Grayson midshipwoman, that was Claire Bedlam Lecroix in the short story Obligated Service. After her there was Cecelie Rustin (also mentioned in the same short story), so Rachel would at most be the 4th, or possibly later if others appeared off camera.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Yes, wonderful textev Vince, and quite touching. I'll amend my notion to... looking forward to seeing Abigail wearing a Grayson uniform in the employ of the GSN operating out of Yeltsin. I think that covers it.

What would be even better is Abigail as CO of her own ship with a Grayson woman as XO and featuring several other Grayson women in key positions like tactical, navigation and engineering. A Grayson ship making a name for itself. What on earth would her nickname be. The Judgement? LOL

At any rate, the GSN can carry the gauntlet in storyline for a while. Grayson shall no longer be considered the weak link in the Alliance's chain.

Abigail would represent a true "Mistress after God," for certain.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:20 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:What would be even better is Abigail as CO of her own ship with a Grayson woman as XO and featuring several other Grayson women in key positions like tactical, navigation and engineering. A Grayson ship making a name for itself. What on earth would her nickname be. The Judgement? LOL

Forget it, there aren't enough Grayson female officers to do that. Not in the time it will take Abigail to reach CO position.

Given the size of the GSN, the only way any two Grayson-born female officers in the next few years will end up aboard the same ship is if they're assigned because they're women, instead of taking into account their skills. Someone probably justified assigning both Cecilie and Claire to the Manasseh because the ship had been fitted with berthing for women, but that excuse won't hold for long.

At any rate, the GSN can carry the gauntlet in storyline for a while. Grayson shall no longer be considered the weak link in the Alliance's chain.

"Shall no longer?" They not only haven't been that since 1906 PD, they were the strongest link between 1915 and 1920.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Claire Bedlam Lecroix and Cecelie Rustin in the short story Obligated Service were NOT the only Grayson women going into service nor were they the only ones who went through Saganami Island. At one point Claire is recalling (in her head-for out background) that Honor arranged with Manticore for the Steadholders to nominate (I think it was up to 6 each) female candidates for the Island and Clare was one of a couple from her Stedding to go but that- in her Steddings case- the other women dropped out. But there were others and though we only see Cecelie because she was already on the ship Claire was transfered to.

Not clear how many enlisted women are Graysons on GSN ships but at the time of Oyster Bay there is at least one small crop of female Grayson Officers who at that point are ensigns and graduated from the The Island. We just haven't seen others yet.

Return to Honorverse