Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

Honor or Emily

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honor or Emily
Post by MC1560   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 pm

MC1560
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

If Emily had rejected affair/polygamy and made Hamish choose, who would he have chosen?

Personally, I think the only scenario where Emily "wins" is if Honor dies and is taken out of the picture completely.
Last edited by MC1560 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Honor or Emily
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MC1560 wrote:If Emily had rejected affair/polygamy and made Hamish choose, who would he have chosen?

Personally, I think the only scenario where Emily wins is if Honor dies and is taken out of the picture completely.

If Emily would have rejected it, Honor would have rejected it.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

MC1560 wrote:If Emily had rejected affair/polygamy and made Hamish choose, who would he have chosen?

Personally, I think the only scenario where Emily wins is if Honor dies and is taken out of the picture completely.

There is the possibility that Honor's sense of duty would reject any attempt by Hamish to chose her over Emily, leaving the situation in the status quo. The only difference is that everyone is very unhappy.

However, since RFC is not writing a Russian novel we do not have to worry and Emily chose a better course.
Post by MC1560   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 pm

MC1560

cthia wrote:Honor would have rejected it.
Maybe at first, but how long would her resistance last? She was so scared of her feelings that she ran off to Adler.
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Honor would have rejected it.
MC1560 wrote:Maybe at first, but how long would her resistance last? She was so scared of her feelings that she ran off to Adler.

There are many other places where she could run.
Post by MC1560   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:04 am

MC1560

tlb wrote:There is the possibility that Honor's sense of duty would reject any attempt by Hamish to chose her over Emily, leaving the situation in the status quo. The only difference is that everyone is very unhappy.
Sounds like a hostage situation. If Hamish doesn't get to bang Honor, he's going to make his wife miserable.

tlb wrote:However, since RFC is not writing a Russian novel we do not have to worry and Emily chose a better course.
"Better"
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:17 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

MC1560 wrote:Sounds like a hostage situation. If Hamish doesn't get to bang Honor, he's going to make his wife miserable.

I was thinking more that Honor and Hamish would be unhappy because they could not be together for political reasons. Meanwhile Emily would be unhappy because Hamish wanted to leave her and be with someone else.

The thing is that if Emily agreed to a divorce (which might not be acceptable to their version of the Catholic Church), there is still the political problem of Hamish casting away a woman that the public reveres and of Honor being a homewrecker.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
MC1560 wrote:Sounds like a hostage situation. If Hamish doesn't get to bang Honor, he's going to make his wife miserable.

I was thinking more that Honor and Hamish would be unhappy because they could not be together for political reasons. Meanwhile Emily would be unhappy because Hamish wanted to leave her and be with someone else.

The thing is that if Emily agreed to a divorce (which might not be acceptable to their version of the Catholic Church), there is still the political problem of Hamish casting away a woman that the public reveres and of Honor being a homewrecker.

I never got the impression Hamish ever wanted to leave Emily. He loved her, text made that clear. I don't think he would have wanted to leave her even if she had rejected Honor. Regardless, Honor wouldn't have allowed it after having sampled her emotions. Honor's not a homewrecker. It would have been totally at odds with her Dudley Doright of the Manties MO.

Besides, I always thought defiance against Emily's wishes would have soured Honor's mindglow a bit in the end to Nimitz if she had become a homewrecker, or participated in an affair. Which is morally wrong if not criminal. Not to mention how Nimitz would have felt about Hamish.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MC1560   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:05 pm

MC1560

tlb wrote:there is still the political problem of Hamish casting away a woman that the public reveres and of Honor being a homewrecker.
I think that even after the marriage, there is a good portion of the public who still think Honor is a homewrecker.
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:there is still the political problem of Hamish casting away a woman that the public reveres and of Honor being a homewrecker.

MC1560 wrote:I think that even after the marriage, there is a good portion of the public who still think Honor is a homewrecker.

Perhaps less than you might think, since Manticore does not have a problem with multiple spouses in a marriage. There may be some, however not enough to cause a big political problem such as a divorce would entail.

Return to Honorverse