Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 111 guests

Re-printed in different format/typesetting

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re-printed in different format/typesetting
Post by nickk   » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:07 pm

nickk
Midshipman

Hello there, firstly a thank you to Mr Weber for his work. I was introduced to the Honorverse series and after Basilisk Station grabbed all the other Honorverse and Safehold series as well as Saganami Island.

I've just finished reading Honor Among Enemies. My query really is related to the physical novels rather than their content - which is superb.

Among Enemies was very cramped, with text deep in the inside margin (against the spine) and a 5 - sometimes - 4mm bottom margin on the pages.

My query really is.. is there any consideration of a re-print of Mr Weber's work using the (increasingly common) 19.8 x 13cm / 8" x 5" formats, with much wider margins and spacing of text?

Thank you.
Re: Re-printed in different format/typesetting
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

nickk wrote:Hello there, firstly a thank you to Mr Weber for his work. I was introduced to the Honorverse series and after Basilisk Station grabbed all the other Honorverse and Safehold series as well as Saganami Island.

I've just finished reading Honor Among Enemies. My query really is related to the physical novels rather than their content - which is superb.

Among Enemies was very cramped, with text deep in the inside margin (against the spine) and a 5 - sometimes - 4mm bottom margin on the pages.

My query really is.. is there any consideration of a re-print of Mr Weber's work using the (increasingly common) 19.8 x 13cm / 8" x 5" formats, with much wider margins and spacing of text?

Thank you.

Hello nickk, and welcome to the forums. If you like, have a virtual Old Tilman on Honor.

I dunno about your query and it's a first for me. Mostly people inquire about books converted into audio, translated into other languages or leather bound editions. Your query reminds me of my preference for large print Bibles. Anyways, WELCOME again.

BTW, if I understand your post you began the series by way of On Basilisk Station? If so, THERE YOU GO! I consider you a part of the real inner circle. Beginning the series with OBS first affords an intimacy with the characters that is priceless!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I dunno about your query and it's a first for me. Mostly people inquire about books converted into audio, translated into other languages or leather bound editions. Your query reminds me of my preference for large print Bibles. Anyways, WELCOME again.

Hello nickk

Welcome to the forum.

cthia is going to call me a heretic but... try digital. No font or margin or spacing problems then, if you have a good reader. I swear by my Kindle, which always travels with me and has for 10 years. It's not throw-away money, unless you can find someone to donate an older unit. If this is interesting to you, do some research to see if future books you're interested in are available. The HH series, sub-series, anthologies and prequels span some three dozen volumes, so...

I wouldn't know about the quality of the paper editions. I suppose the hard cover ones had more attention dedicated to typesetting.

BTW, if I understand your post you began the series by way of On Basilisk Station? If so, THERE YOU GO! I consider you a part of the real inner circle. Beginning the series with OBS first affords an intimacy with the characters that is priceless!

Indeed, don't try to read in internal chronological order. Maybe do that as a second read, but the first needs to be read in publication order. Pay close attention to the Shadow of Saganami sub-series order too: since there's a very important point where events happening there have direct relevance to the main series.

I did it wrong. I bought OBS in 2014, but didn't start reading until the third Manticore Ascendant was out and tried to read those three first. They're independent enough that I could, but you miss a lot of nuance.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:I dunno about your query and it's a first for me. Mostly people inquire about books converted into audio, translated into other languages or leather bound editions. Your query reminds me of my preference for large print Bibles. Anyways, WELCOME again.

Hello nickk

Welcome to the forum.

cthia is going to call me a heretic but... try digital. No font or margin or spacing problems then, if you have a good reader. I swear by my Kindle, which always travels with me and has for 10 years. It's not throw-away money, unless you can find someone to donate an older unit. If this is interesting to you, do some research to see if future books you're interested in are available. The HH series, sub-series, anthologies and prequels span some three dozen volumes, so...

I wouldn't know about the quality of the paper editions. I suppose the hard cover ones had more attention dedicated to typesetting.

Indeed, don't try to read in internal chronological order. Maybe do that as a second read, but the first needs to be read in publication order. Pay close attention to the Shadow of Saganami sub-series order too: since there's a very important point where events happening there have direct relevance to the main series.

I did it wrong. I bought OBS in 2014, but didn't start reading until the third Manticore Ascendant was out and tried to read those three first. They're independent enough that I could, but you miss a lot of nuance.

I wouldn't call you a heretic. Not when I'm angry. :D

I love digital devices. Having your entire book collection at your fingertips is priceless. Don't leave home, or the planet, without it.

It is that very first plunge through her depths that should happen on a medium replete with paper cuts all over your back. I was waiting with baited breath for Uncompromising Honor, tasting the anticipation of her on my tongue, running my hand down her spine and enjoying the smooth tactile feel of her skin, relishing in the colors and the graphics of her dressing, reading between the lines of her blurbs before opening her goodness and shoving my face between her pages and enjoying her virgin smell. Responding to the other patrons in the bookstore to get a room, I take her home and lay her gently on the sofa beside a crackling fireplace, then I fling the witch against the wall at some of her passages, only to reclaim her and apologize. Hoping I didn't break her spine.

Under the light of those sweet, gentle and intimate moments, a Kindle just seems too callous and brutish for a first experience. You shouldn't take her for granted on the first date.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by nickk   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 am

nickk
Midshipman

Hullo all, thank you for the replies - I have a Kindle - two I think - but it's just not the same as a real book.

regarding Saganami Island series - I see:
Shadow - pt1
Storm - pt2
Freedom - pt3
Victory - pt4.

Are there interludes between the core books?

Going back to the original Q - is there any intention/suggestion that the works might be reprinted?
Post by Theemile   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:29 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

nickk wrote:Hullo all, thank you for the replies - I have a Kindle - two I think - but it's just not the same as a real book.

Shadow - pt1
Storm - pt2
Freedom - pt3
Victory - pt4.

Going back to the original Q - is there any intention/suggestion that the works might be reprinted?

Read the books in publishing order - the story is carried by all the books including the Crown of Slaves books, the Shadow of Saganami series and the Anthologies. The latest books are ... intertwinned, let's say, with the books telling different facets (or poVs ) of the same timeline. You will even find the same chapter lifted from one book to another to achieve continuity in a particular book. Not to say it's not interesting, but is it confusing when 5 books come out and each might push the storyline out 10 more minutes, if at all. (to be fair, the example I'm thinking about actually pushes out the timeline by 12 busy hours, not 10 minutes).

No idea about republishing- I recommend asking Toni Weisskopf (sic) at Baen.com; she is the publisher for Baen Books, but one really in tune with the reader base and will entertain a useful suggestion.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Read the books in publishing order - the story is carried by all the books including the Crown of Slaves books, the Shadow of Saganami series and the Anthologies. The latest books are ... intertwinned, let's say, with the books telling different facets (or poVs ) of the same timeline. You will even find the same chapter lifted from one book to another to achieve continuity in a particular book. Not to say it's not interesting, but is it confusing when 5 books come out and each might push the storyline out 10 more minutes, if at all. (to be fair, the example I'm thinking about actually pushes out the timeline by 12 busy hours, not 10 minutes).

BTW, does anyone know what the official list is?

Uncompromising Honor is labelled "Honor Harrington Book 19" but the math doesn't add up. There are 14 books in the main series, 4 in the Saganami Island sub-series and 3 in the Crown of Slaves series. That's 21.

To add up to 19, I need the SI plus House of Steel, but not the CS ones. But how can the CS ones not be in the official numbering? Without the advancing of the timeline in Crown of Slaves, nothing after the middle of At All Costs makes sense; without Torch of Freedom, the war would not have ended the way it did.

[trying to keep spoiler-free for the OP who is still reading]
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

nickk wrote:Hullo all, thank you for the replies - I have a Kindle - two I think - but it's just not the same as a real book.

Shadow - pt1
Storm - pt2
Freedom - pt3
Victory - pt4.

You're right nickk, it isn't anywhere close to a real book. There's no visually appealing cover to tantalize your senses. No rustling of pages. No dead letter medium that comes alive when it absorbs the essence in the rain from your eyes. It's like dating your gf's twin. Something awfully good is missing.

Post by Theemile   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:57 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:Read the books in publishing order - the story is carried by all the books including the Crown of Slaves books, the Shadow of Saganami series and the Anthologies. The latest books are ... intertwinned, let's say, with the books telling different facets (or poVs ) of the same timeline. You will even find the same chapter lifted from one book to another to achieve continuity in a particular book. Not to say it's not interesting, but is it confusing when 5 books come out and each might push the storyline out 10 more minutes, if at all. (to be fair, the example I'm thinking about actually pushes out the timeline by 12 busy hours, not 10 minutes).

BTW, does anyone know what the official list is?

Uncompromising Honor is labelled "Honor Harrington Book 19" but the math doesn't add up. There are 14 books in the main series, 4 in the Saganami Island sub-series and 3 in the Crown of Slaves series. That's 21.

To add up to 19, I need the SI plus House of Steel, but not the CS ones. But how can the CS ones not be in the official numbering? Without the advancing of the timeline in Crown of Slaves, nothing after the middle of At All Costs makes sense; without Torch of Freedom, the war would not have ended the way it did.

[trying to keep spoiler-free for the OP who is still reading]

The book list on this site's Library tab has the pub dates for each book - they are broken up by sub-series, but you can put together a list from the pub dates.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by dvdscar   » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:31 am

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

nickk wrote:Hello there, firstly a thank you to Mr Weber for his work. I was introduced to the Honorverse series and after Basilisk Station grabbed all the other Honorverse and Safehold series as well as Saganami Island.

Thank you.

To respond to your original question, the formatting of the books is established by the publisher, Baen Books. The first question you need to answer is are you talking about the hardback editions, the trade paperback editions, or the mass market paperback editions? From the size you described, I suspect you're talking about the mass market paperback editions, because it sounds like you're describing the size of the oversized mass-market editions that some publishers have been putting out for a few years. If that's the case, then I have to tell you that you're going to be disappointed, because Toni Weisskopf, Baen's publisher, has stated in public more than once that she despises that format, so the chances of Baen utilizing it while's she's publisher are pretty much nonexistent.

Sorry.

David

Return to Honorverse