Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

Answer to published criticism of Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Answer to published criticism of Honorverse
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Argh, English predates programing languages.

?!: all include their own period. SO a sentance does not need both! and . or ?. BOTH are totally wrong.

A Quote should include the original punctuation, right or wrong. But ending .". is indeed redundant in English usage but perfectly valid in quite a few programming languages!

It is not completely correct to say that a question mark includes a period: a question mark concludes an interrogative sentence and a period concludes a declarative sentence. We have had a heated discussion about diacritical marks and whether a character so marked is totally distinct. The Scandinavian languages and the Finnish language, for example, treat the characters with diacritics å, ä, and ö as distinct letters of the alphabet, and sort them after z. I would argue that the period and the question mark are also separate and distinct.

So it is true that the following is incorrect; but the problem is that the period is out of place when the sentence is a question, not simply because it is redundant:
Are you a member of this forum?.

These show redundant periods (because an exclamation can also end an emphatic declarative sentence)
Yes, I am..
or
Yes, I am !.

I am saying that punctuation inside a quote does not eliminate the need for punctuation outside, as far as I am concerned. I will grant that general usage may say I am wrong, but I do not care at this point in my life. The example I come back to is this:
The rabbit said "What's up doc?"

Because that is a declarative statement, which should not be terminated with a question mark
. So even if compositors might accept it, I want a period after the closing quote; otherwise it is a sentence fragment passing as a question.

Please note that I did not mention programming languages to show that I was right, instead it was to explain why I was unlikely to change. Also note that these "rules" on style for writing are different in England.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have a criticism of the HV. Well, a question about a particular scene, anyway.

In OBS when the Pinnace?, was downed and the Stilthies descended upon it and disemboweled its occupant, the Tribarrel?, was ineffective on so many doped-up crazies. I couldn't help but think there should have been a modern version of Napalm. The Pinnace should have been surrounded by a ring of fire.

Fire has a way of snapping even a druggie out of his state of euphoria. Ask Richard Pryor.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:32 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I have a criticism of the HV. Well, a question about a particular scene, anyway.

In OBS when the Pinnace?, was downed and the Stilthies descended upon it and disemboweled its occupant, the Tribarrel?, was ineffective on so many doped-up crazies. I couldn't help but think there should have been a modern version of Napalm. The Pinnace should have been surrounded by a ring of fire.

Fire has a way of snapping even a druggie out of his state of euphoria. Ask Richard Pryor.

They were on the ground too quickly to deploy anything like that. Would it have been better if they set a fire that consumed the skimmer and themselves, than to have died the way that they did?
On Basilisk Station, chapter 27:
The skimmer wasn't armored. Its composites were tough and elastic, but they weren't armor, and more bullets punched through its thin skin. She heard Truman cursing in a high, incredulous falsetto, but his pulser turret was already in action, each barrel spitting fifteen-millimeter explosive darts cased in ceramic frag jackets at a cyclical rate of over a thousand rounds per minute. His fire cut across the ground like a lash of flame, shredding moss and Medusan with equal abandon, yet he could fire in only one direction at a time, and still more armed natives were erupting out of other holes in the ground.

Return to Honorverse