Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?
Post by Captain Golding   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:28 am

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Through the Saganami Shadown and other later books we have a new set of characters. Now that Honour is off taking extended leave and the SL is defeated where do you want to see your more junior characters showing up ?

Should Abigail do a General Duties tour on a GSN Ship - What role and how will she cope with Traditionalists or the inevitable Steadholder Politics crawlers.

Should Helen get a command track posting ? What as, a real TAC role or perhaps a LAC Command. Currently an Ensign doing a Flag Leutenant's job where would you have BuPers send her next?

Who else? Megan Petersen ? After that Marrage of course.

Anyone of less than Flag rank or equivilent really.
Re: Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:49 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Through the Saganami Shadown and other later books we have a new set of characters. Now that Honour is off taking extended leave and the SL is defeated where do you want to see your more junior characters showing up ?

I'd like to see Helen back on the tactical and command track. Helping Terekhov definitely boosted her career, but she can't stay a Flag Lieutenant for long. Get her a posting as JTO after she's promoted to Lt.(j.g.) on a bigger ship. A Sag-C would be nice, but I'd also like to see some Avalons.

Abigail can move back to the GSN but I don't think she should just yet. Stay with the RMN or do a tour of duty in the IAN or RHN, until she's promoted to Lt. Cmdr. Only then should she go to the GSN. Senior enough that no one will give her crap and those above her should recognise her for her efforts.

Rachel Mayhew will be starting her snotty tour soon and then an Ensign. We don't know what track she wants to follow.

Megan Petersen, after marriage and knighthood, possibly getting a peerage title too, should be promoted to Captain (J.G.) and be given something to go with that rank, a CL. So maybe give Capt. Petersen an Avalon and Helen as her JTO.

I'd also like to see Aubrey Wanderman and Ginger too and the Tales of the Charles Ward.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Captain Golding wrote:Through the Saganami Shadown and other later books we have a new set of characters. Now that Honour is off taking extended leave and the SL is defeated where do you want to see your more junior characters showing up ?

I'd like to see Helen back on the tactical and command track. Helping Terekhov definitely boosted her career, but she can't stay a Flag Lieutenant for long. Get her a posting as JTO after she's promoted to Lt.(j.g.) on a bigger ship. A Sag-C would be nice, but I'd also like to see some Avalons.

Abigail can move back to the GSN but I don't think she should just yet. Stay with the RMN or do a tour of duty in the IAN or RHN, until she's promoted to Lt. Cmdr. Only then should she go to the GSN. Senior enough that no one will give her crap and those above her should recognise her for her efforts.

Rachel Mayhew will be starting her snotty tour soon and then an Ensign. We don't know what track she wants to follow.

Megan Petersen, after marriage and knighthood, possibly getting a peerage title too, should be promoted to Captain (J.G.) and be given something to go with that rank, a CL. So maybe give Capt. Petersen an Avalon and Helen as her JTO.

I'd also like to see Aubrey Wanderman and Ginger too and the Tales of the Charles Ward.

I have a feeling that the GSN wants Abigail to be commander or the Exec on whatever ship Rachel will be on for her snotty cruise. I see Abigale coming back to the GSN in 2 years and getting an exec spot on a CL as a newly minted Lt. Commander.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I can also see that much like with Abigail they may want a non GSN ship for Rachel's Snotty cruise. plus the RMN has the most experience of dealing with Snottys with Treecat's.

I mean they had doubts how well they would take to a steadholders daughter, how will they react to the daughter of the Protector!

There is also an argument to be made that Abigail doesn't return to the GSN until they are they are ready to give her a ship command, probably one of the new ships that are a combination of the best of both a Roland and a Avalon and probably called a CL, that will be the first designs out of the rebuilt yards.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Rachel could be put on a Grayson ship that isn't part of the GSN - get the best of both worlds. And of course by that I mean a Protector's Own ship with a high percentage of outworlders. Perhaps we'll even get to run into Claire Lecroix.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:14 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Another two people I'd like to hear more about: GWEN and Ruth Winton. GWEN because, like Helen, Flag Lieutenant to Admiral Gold Peak comes with a term limit. His next posting should give us a good view of Talbott politics and how well they're integrating with the rest of the Empire, something I'd like to hear more about. How's Stephen Westman doing? Any new mishaps on the Nuncio System that they can attribute to The Founding Idiots? And Helga.

I get the impression he'd do well in Intelligence work, which might mean he stays behind in Mesa for a while before returning to Spindle.

Which brings me to Ruth Winton. As understudy to Anton Zilwicki and Victor Cachat, she may become very good in her field. Maybe even better than each of them individually. While those two are off to Mesa, she may be able to find something about the Torch Wormhole. And I love how she gets all historical references wrong...
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
ThinksMarkedly wrote:

I think it more likely that (authorial decision by RFC depending of course), bt in the RMN as we understand it, Megan will be promoted to full captaincy, with any requisite training happening post-haste. She showed the same level of courage that Honor did at Basilisk and in HotQ; it is quite obvious that she has "the touch". I also think that the forces in Hypatia -- including Megan -- will be given the highest possible award, maybe similar to the presentation of Terekhov's PMV on behalf of his scratched-together squadron's actions in Monica.

And yes, I want to see what happens with Ginger and company just as much.
Last edited by SharkHunter on Sun May 03, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I think it more likely that (autorial decision by RFC depending of course), bt in the RMN as we understand it, Megan will be promoted to full captaincy, with any requisite training happening post-haste. She showed the same level of courage that Honor did at Basilisk and in HotQ; it is quite obvious that she has "the touch". I also think that the forces in Hypatia -- including Megan -- will be given the highest possible award, maybe similar to the presentation of Terekhov's PMV on behalf of his scratched-together squadron's actions in Monica.

You're probably right. Jump her to Captain of the List and give her a Saganami-C. With a few years under her belt on that ship, in peacekeeping missions and showing the flag in the Verge and hunting for the MAlign, she can be given a BC command, hopefully a new class that isn't so offensively minded as the Nikes, after BuShips has had the time to properly design something with the learnings of Apollo.

Who do we have that is junior and could be working for Hemphill & Foraker in Bolthole, to give us insight on what they're developing over there?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:28 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:You're probably right. Jump her to Captain of the List and give her a Saganami-C. With a few years under her belt on that ship, in peacekeeping missions and showing the flag in the Verge and hunting for the MAlign, she can be given a BC command, hopefully a new class that isn't so offensively minded as the Nikes, after BuShips has had the time to properly design something with the learnings of Apollo.

With the end of the two hot wars and the MAlignment hiding as thoroughly as they can, it's unlikely the RMN will be expanding as explosively as it has been for the last 60 years. Nor are there likely to be mass casualty events like Beatrice or Oyster Bay, meaning Manticoran officers (and even more so Graysons) have a long period of very slow career progression ahead of them. Peterson might get that jump to Captain of the List but then spend 20 years or more before she sees Commodore. Likewise, I'd like to see Truman in command of Home Fleet but she'll still be too junior for that even 20 years down the line if there's no one forcibly retiring all the admirals senior to her.

I do look forward to seeing what even our older heroes get up to once they're out of Honor's shadow. Brigham serving at the admiralty perhaps? Cardones finally getting a flag and an SD squadron?

Who do we have that is junior and could be working for Hemphill & Foraker in Bolthole, to give us insight on what they're developing over there?

Paulo, of course. Probably as a lieutenant jg.
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:You're probably right. Jump her to Captain of the List and give her a Saganami-C. With a few years under her belt on that ship, in peacekeeping missions and showing the flag in the Verge and hunting for the MAlign, she can be given a BC command, hopefully a new class that isn't so offensively minded as the Nikes, after BuShips has had the time to properly design something with the learnings of Apollo.
What makes you say the Nike is offensively minded? They put a vast amount of its extra tonnage into its survivability.

On 2.1 million extra tons compared to the Sag-C the Nikes mounted just 5 additional Mk16 tubes and 4 grasers per broadside. (Vs Reliant over Saganami-A which on an extra 0.5 mton carried and extra 8 tubes and 9 energy mounts) Or to put it another way compared to the later flight Reliant BCs the Nike-class is 1.4 mtons heavier and carries 1 more missile tube a 2 more energy mounts per broadside (admittedly larger tubes, and all grasers vs a mix of lasers and grasers)

The Keyhole and other defenses took a huge amount of that extra tonnage - but that mostly makes it more survivable, not more offensively oriented.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Honorverse