Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

The Honorverse and the Houses of Hogwarts

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The Honorverse and the Houses of Hogwarts
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My oh my, where should I put the denizens of the Honorverse?

Four Houses of Hogwarts

In the Harry Potter series, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is divided into four houses, each bearing the last name of its founder: Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff.

A. Gryffindor

Gryffindor values courage and chivalry. Its emblematic animal is the lion and its colours are red and gold.

As this is the house to which Harry Potter belongs, its private quarters are the only ones that have been described in any detail, and its members tend to get the most attention. These are located in one of the castle's towers, the entrance to which is located on the seventh floor and is guarded by a painting of a fat lady in pink. She permits entry only after being given the correct (regularly changing) password. Behind her is a large common room, with a fireplace, and two staircases leading up to the boys' and girls' dormitories.

According to J. K. Rowling, Gryffindor corresponds roughly to the element of fire, which may partly be the reason for its colours.

B. Slytherin

Slytherin values ambition and cunning. Its emblematic animal is the serpent and its colours are green and silver.

According to J. K. Rowling, Slytherin corresponds roughly to the element of water. The Slytherin common room and dormitories are located underneath the Hogwarts lake, and are reached through a bare stone wall in the dungeons. The Slytherin common room is a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and round, greenish lamps hanging from the ceiling.

Contrary to the beliefs of his peers, Salazar Slytherin wanted a stricter policy of "admittance” one limited to pureblood students. The controversy this created eventually led to Salazar leaving the school, leaving the Chamber of Secrets behind. A millennium later, the house's students are still considered affiliated with Salazar's views (though some half-bloods, most notably Tom Riddle and Snape, have been in Slytherin); sometimes undeservedly, sometimes not. Blood purity is certainly one of the things in Lord Voldemort's agenda. It is often mentioned in the novels (especially in PS and CoS) that most of the dark wizards were in Slytherin.

C. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw values intelligence, knowledge, and wit. Its emblematic animal is the eagle, and its colours are blue and bronze (silver in the films). The Ravenclaw head is Filius Flitwick. The house ghost is the Grey Lady. According to J. K. Rowling, Ravenclaw corresponds roughly to the element of air. The Ravenclaw common room and dormitories are located in a tower on the west side of the school.

Ravenclaw seems to have been second-best preference (behind Gryffindor) for Hermione Granger.

D. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff is the most inclusive among the four houses, valuing hard work and patience, loyalty and friendship, and justice and fair play rather than a particular aptitude in its members. Its emblematic animal is the badger, and yellow and black are its colours.

According to J. K. Rowling, Hufflepuff corresponds roughly to the element of earth. The Hufflepuff common room and dormitories are located somewhere in the basement, near the castle's kitchens.

Perhaps as a consequence of the broad principles of acceptance upon which it is founded, Hufflepuff has been stereotyped as the house of the unexceptional (or, more unkindly, as "a lot o' duffers"). One of the few Hufflepuffs of note is Cedric Diggory, who brought his house rare glory as its Quidditch captain and Seeker, and later as Hogwarts' champion in the Triwizard Tournament in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Gryffindor instructed the Sorting Hat to choose students possessing characteristics he most valued, such as courage, chivalry, and determination, to be sorted into his house.

If you're bored during the quarantine, then let the Sorting Hat sort it out.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: The Honorverse and the Houses of Hogwarts
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking Honor definitely goes in Gryffindor. She just missed Ravenclaw by a math problem. :lol:

Although, when Young cornered her in the shower, she showed the qualities of . . . Slytherin. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Michelle Henke: Huffenpuff.

Loyalty and friendship.

Georgia Sakristos: Slytherin.

Ambition and cunning.

Post by roseandheather   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

.....you really don't want to know how many times I've played this game. Yes, I can justify all my choices. With essays. :mrgreen: I'm just gonna do a smattering here, if there's anyone you wanna ask about feel free!

Gryffindor:
Honor Harrington
Lester Tourville
Javier Giscard
Michelle Henke
Abigail Hearns
Helen Zilwicki, Jr
Hamish Alexander
Michael Oversteegen

Hufflepuff:
Thomas Theisman
Augustus Khumalo
Allen Higgins
Kevin Usher

Ravenclaw:
Shannon Foraker
Estelle Matsuko (or possibly Slytherin)

Slytherin:
Eloise Pritchart
Sonja Hemphill (or possibly Ravenclaw)
Aivars Terekhov
Emily Alexander
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:.....you really don't want to know how many times I've played this game. Yes, I can justify all my choices. With essays. :mrgreen: I'm just gonna do a smattering here, if there's anyone you wanna ask about feel free!

Gryffindor:
Honor Harrington
Lester Tourville
Javier Giscard
Michelle Henke
Abigail Hearns
Helen Zilwicki, Jr
Hamish Alexander
Michael Oversteegen

Hufflepuff:
Thomas Theisman
Augustus Khumalo
Allen Higgins
Kevin Usher

Ravenclaw:
Shannon Foraker

Slytherin:
Eloise Pritchart
Aivars Terekhov
Emily Alexander

HI ROSE!

It is rare that you visit us Solarians. I wanted to leave your name in lights to alert everyone to your visit. I also needed time to think about which character I'd like you to wrestle with, seeing as though you've given at least one wish. I didn't want to waste it.

I don't like it, but I have to do it to you Rose, but where would you place Pavel Young?

Now where do you think the sorting hat will place him? LOL

I can't stop thinking how the hat didn't even need to sit on Malfoy's head. In fact, the hat easily came to a decision regarding Malfoy even before contact with Malfoy. I suspect the same for Young. I wouldn't be surprised if the hat broke out in expletives at the mention of his name.

I have a difficult time placing Graysons. Take Abigail, she seems to be a shoe-in for all four houses.

Queen Berry is totally perplexing, but Victor Cachat is impossible to be certain. Thandi could fit in several.

It is very very very interesting that you chose Hufflepuff for Theisman. I think most people, myself included (along with Honor) would undoubtedly choose either of the first three. But only the Treecats, the Sorting Hat and you Rose, would know his true House would be Hufflepuff. Because he dreams of peace.

P.S. I agree with most of your choices. You really have given this much thought. I reserve the ri— er privilege to enquire about others. :D

Post by cthia   » Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:.....you really don't want to know how many times I've played this game. Yes, I can justify all my choices. With essays. :mrgreen: I'm just gonna do a smattering here, if there's anyone you wanna ask about feel free!

Gryffindor:
Honor Harrington
Lester Tourville
Javier Giscard
Michelle Henke
Abigail Hearns
Helen Zilwicki, Jr
Hamish Alexander
Michael Oversteegen

Hufflepuff:
Thomas Theisman
Augustus Khumalo
Allen Higgins
Kevin Usher

Ravenclaw:
Shannon Foraker

Slytherin:
Eloise Pritchart
Aivars Terekhov
Emily Alexander

So, Eloise is in Slytherin.

I can't say I'd object if you designated the entire Havenite lot as a bunch of Slytherins. Although Shannon slithers well. :D

"Priority One! Evasive maneuver!"

Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:08 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Can I hear justifications for Shannon and Sonja? Just curious.
Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:00 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Can I hear justifications for Shannon and Sonja? Just curious.

I do not see her signed in often, although she could be lurking. Have you tried the private message option to her? It will generate an email to notify her that you have a question (that way neither of you are exposed to an actual email address, although you could move on from there).
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:39 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:Can I hear justifications for Shannon and Sonja? Just curious.

I do not see her signed in often, although she could be lurking. Have you tried the private message option to her? It will generate an email to notify her that you have a question (that way neither of you are exposed to an actual email address, although you could move on from there).

I PMed her once before on a different thread, and didn't get a response (though I think she accepted my Ao3 gifts, that if you're Duckk, I'm not posting here), but tried again just now.
Post by WLBjork   » Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am

WLBjork
Commander

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong.

Gryffindor is full of dunderheads that charge in, damn the torpedoes, and get knocked about because of it (more Griffs end up in the infirmary than any other house... Harry pretty much has his own bed in there). Though that does kind of fit Honor as well...

As such, nominees should be Yeargin, Santini and the entirety of the SLN senior commanders - except whatsisface who did realise he was outmatched only to get killed by the MAlign bomb/nano-tech. Heck, most of State Sec as well :lol:

The majority should be Slytherin - sure, they're brave but more importantly they use their cunning to defeat their enemies :geek:

Pretty sure both Hemphill and Foraker should be Ravenclaws though. They both use their brains to create new technologies or to make better use of existing ones :ugeek:

Return to Honorverse