Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
?
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What is the most important technology that could fall into [MALIGN RMN SLN] hands :?:

MIND CONTROL IS DEFINITELY A GIVEN, YET STILL IN PLAY.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: ?
Post by tlb   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

I believe that the only one that has gone from Malign to GA is the streak drive principle (not yet reduced to RMN practice).

There is only rudimentary knowledge of the nanite assassin technology in the GA (no cure nor test, except to watch the infected person die)..

The only ones that have gone the other way are the principles of Mycroft and Mistletoe; where the idea of the latter was used to create the Silver Bullets that destroyed the former at Beowulf.

The multi-drive missiles of the GA can only be approximated.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"OOPS."

Pardon Shannon... She meant "What is the most important technology that could fall into the other's hands?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Alliance micro fusion generators would make grazer torpedoes much worse and potentially allow them to be scaled down as well as given much more range. The possibility of grazer torps the size of MDMs should be terrifying.
Post by Remontoire   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Remontoire
Midshipman

Though not necessarily a combat advantage, the streak drive combined with the wormhole access GA has would greatly speed up logistics/communication within the GA. Given how big the volume of space is and the number of junctions controlled by SEM/RH/IE/ROE ect I think this would be even more effective for GA than MALIGN. Now that the peeps have Simoes seems likely we may see that come into being in the next few books?

Edit: *facepalm* How did I miss tbl already saying this in literally the second post on this thread -.-
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:11 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Remontoire wrote:Though not necessarily a combat advantage, the streak drive combined with the wormhole access GA has would greatly speed up logistics/communication within the GA. Given how big the volume of space is and the number of junctions controlled by SEM/RH/IE/ROE ect I think this would be even more effective for GA than MALIGN. Now that the peeps have Simoes seems likely we may see that come into being in the next few books?

Edit: *facepalm* How did I miss tbl already saying this in literally the second post on this thread -.-

Simões is in Manticore, not Haven. Unless he's been moved to Gryphon or Bolthole. Though it doesn't make a difference to your conclusion: GA ships will be streak drive capable within a couple of years.

We know that the Mesan streak drive was a brute force approach. Who knows what the the Hemphill-Foraker Dynamic Duo will be able to do to miniaturise it and make it more efficient? Maybe break into the lambda band?
Post by Remontoire   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Remontoire
Midshipman

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Simões is in Manticore, not Haven. Unless he's been moved to Gryphon or Bolthole. Though it doesn't make a difference to your conclusion: GA ships will be streak drive capable within a couple of years.

We know that the Mesan streak drive was a brute force approach. Who knows what the the Hemphill-Foraker Dynamic Duo will be able to do to miniaturise it and make it more efficient? Maybe break into the lambda band?

Oh is he in Manticore now? My memory tends to get a bit fuzzy when going back to 50 books ago on my reading list :P

Miniaturization would be key to fitting it into warships without making sacrifices in other areas. Maybe we'll see some SDP's going to plaid?

How about them Apollo grazer pods tho?
Post by tlb   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:Alliance micro fusion generators would make grazer torpedoes much worse and potentially allow them to be scaled down as well as given much more range. The possibility of grazer torps the size of MDMs should be terrifying.

I am not sure how much of an advantage micro fusion would convey, except for increasing the ready time before use. The reason I think that is the torpedo is a single use item which is already overpowered to destroy itself on firing. Also the graser torpedo is already that size, because of the spider drive; the graser itself is cruiser weapon size (if it were possible to make it the size of an SD weapon, that would still be independent of the power source). Mission of Honor, chapter 28:
The torpedo's size made fitting it into magazines and actually firing it awkward, to say the least, and the Sharks had never been intended to deploy it operationally. For that matter, the Sharks themselves had never been supposed to be deployed "operationally." The Leonard Detweiler class, which had been intended to carry out this operation, had been designed with magazines and launch tubes which would make it possible to stow and fire torpedoes internally, but none of the Detweilers were even close to completion, and it had required the development of an ingenious external rack system to allow the Sharks to use it for Oyster Bay.
For all its size, it was also a slow weapon. It was simply impossible to fit a spider drive capable of more than a few hundred gravities' acceleration into something small enough to make a practical weapon. As compensation, however, its drive had almost as much endurance as most of the galaxy's recon drones, which gave it an impressive absolute range. And a large percentage of the torpedo's volume had been reserved for systems which had nothing at all to do with propulsion. Whereas the Royal Manticoran Navy had concentrated on improving the efficiency of its standard laser heads, Daniel Detweiler's R&D staff had taken another approach. They'd figured out how to squeeze what amounted to a cruiser-grade graser projector into something small enough to deploy independently.

Also note how much endurance the Silver Bullets have, which are just modifications of the graser torpedoes.
Last edited by tlb on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Remontoire wrote:Oh is he in Manticore now? My memory tends to get a bit fuzzy when going back to 50 books ago on my reading list :P[/qupte]

Pritchart brought him with her when she dropped unannounced on Honor and the Queen, along with Cachat and Zilwicki. It was his debrief (under treecat and Honor's watchful eyes and senses) that convinced the Second War to end.

Miniaturization would be key to fitting it into warships without making sacrifices in other areas. Maybe we'll see some SDP's going to plaid?

Going past Ludicrous Speed? I would prefer planetary shields though (with better passwords).
Post by Remontoire   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Remontoire
Midshipman

What about a grazer impeller hybrid of the two types though? Seems to me the spider drive grazer torps used in oysterbay wearn't designed to be practical ship to ship main combat weapons, they were surprise attack stealth weapons.

Return to Honorverse