Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

A copper-plated moral decision for the 'Cats . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A copper-plated moral decision for the 'Cats . . .
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:25 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:RFC is the god who planted the seeds responsible for the suppositions. There is nothing wrong with his lil angels pondering the possibilities of the creator. Is there?

The MA already had access to at least one cat which died in captivity, didn't they? They could already have cloned Cats.

"Angels"!?

From what little is said about the cats by the members of the Onion; I would say that is highly unlikely.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:01 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:RFC is the god who planted the seeds responsible for the suppositions. There is nothing wrong with his lil angels pondering the possibilities of the creator. Is there?

The MA already had access to at least one cat which died in captivity, didn't they? They could already have cloned Cats.

"Angels"!?

From what little is said about the cats by the members of the Onion; I would say that is highly unlikely.

I believe that we are the "angels" cthia was referring to.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:02 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:(snip)
RFC is the god who planted the seeds responsible for the suppositions. There is nothing wrong with his lil angels pondering the possibilities of the creator. Is there?

My impression that their attempts to clone Cats didn't work very well.
Beowulf was bad.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
cthia wrote:(snip)
RFC is the god who planted the seeds responsible for the suppositions. There is nothing wrong with his lil angels pondering the possibilities of the creator. Is there?

My impression that their attempts to clone Cats didn't work very well.

Did they actually have plans to clone Cats that I am unaware of???

Robert, are you just being sarcastic like moi on so many occasions?

BTW, I like your tagline.

I've been telling the forum that for over 4-yrs now. 8-)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:25 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:"Angels"!?

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I believe that we are the "angels" cthia was referring to.

I was quite aware of that, which is why I put the question mark and exclamation mark; it probably deserved at least one more question mark.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:"Angels"!?

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I believe that we are the "angels" cthia was referring to.

I was quite aware of that, which is why I put the question mark and exclamation mark; it probably deserved at least one more question mark.

Actually Robert, I understand tlb's objection. Only some of god's fans are angels. Some are ... "fallen."

:lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I forgot about the Sphinxian Cat's native diet of purple thorn, and of course celery. The MA could easily learn about both and introduce them to cloned Cats. IINM their empathic ability is dependent upon a specific chemical in purple thorn.

PS BTW, to head off any misunderstandings, the fallen reference in the previous post was meant for forumites who can no longer participate on the forum because Duckk removed their privileges. I miss The Fly. His sense of humor was refreshing.

Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:What's more, these cloned Cats might not only begin to bond with the MA, but cloning might produce their own Memory Singers. The MA could/would experiment to the point that the mindglow of these Cats is orders of magnitude greater than Sphinx's Cats. If empathic communication works as a "wave" then these much more powerful mindglows might actually be able to jam the communication of Sphinxian Cats.

MA Cats could also be made into Alphas. The side effect being every bonding is as unprecedented as the bond between Honor and Nimitz. Perhaps even much more acute.

And then those Alpha Treecats bond with the Alpha Onion Members, but unbeknownst to the latter, the former have actually developed mind control techniques and take over the Alignment.

cthia wrote::o

Brilliant! The possibilities are endless. Authors are indeed gods.

There are at least two more possibilities of cloned Cats. Cloned Cats could meet Sphynxian Cats and bond immediately.

Cloned Cats could be bereft of Memory Singers. They could become mesmerized by Memory Singers in some form or fashion. "In some form or fashion" because most likely the two wouldn't be able to understand each other. But the voices of Memory Singers could captivate them. Love at first "hear".

Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:idea:

:?:

:!:

It has to be somewhat creepy to be bonded. And fulfilling. And, yes, all of the other wonderful adjectives. But being bonded means your morals, scruples and values will always be on display. After bonding, you always have to actually look at yourself in the mirror. Treecats reflect your morals, scruples and values back at you. So it seems you would always have to "Mind your PS and Qs." You wouldn't ever want your mindglow to begin souring to a Cat.

The milk of human kindness. Cats like milk.

Hmmm... can a Cat "divorce" a human?

At any rate, if Ariel knew that Beth acted unlawfully - even worse, despicable - in a grave matter, would he report it? Should he?

For instance, if Beth were to suddenly become afflicted by temporary insanity and is overcome by the symptoms of her temper. Resulting in her arranging for a planet to be ... "eradanited."

Would that be a copper-plated decision for Ariel to make? What if he is the sole bearer of a truth, that like Beowulf, Beth was bad ... was really really bad.

Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:25 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

cthia wrote::idea:

:?:

:!:

It has to be somewhat creepy to be bonded. And fulfilling. And, yes, all of the other wonderful adjectives. But being bonded means your morals, scruples and values will always be on display. After bonding, you always have to actually look at yourself in the mirror. Treecats reflect your morals, scruples and values back at you. So it seems you would always have to "Mind your PS and Qs." You wouldn't ever want your mindglow to begin souring to a Cat.

The milk of human kindness. Cats like milk.

Hmmm... can a Cat "divorce" a human?

Yes. See discussion between Hamish and Honor immediately after Clean Killer adopted Harahap in the September 1922PD section of _Uncompromising Honor_.

There had been three cases of people who had been adopted by treecats who later committed serious offenses and were subsequently repudiated by their treecats. There was one individual who was convicted of "voluntary homicide" (how does this differ from murder?) and was not repudiated, but Honor thinks it should had been justifiable homicide.
Beowulf was bad.

Return to Honorverse