Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

A copper-plated moral decision for the 'Cats . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A copper-plated moral decision for the 'Cats . . .
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
cthia wrote::idea:

:?:

:!:

It has to be somewhat creepy to be bonded. And fulfilling. And, yes, all of the other wonderful adjectives. But being bonded means your morals, scruples and values will always be on display. After bonding, you always have to actually look at yourself in the mirror. Treecats reflect your morals, scruples and values back at you. So it seems you would always have to "Mind your PS and Qs." You wouldn't ever want your mindglow to begin souring to a Cat.

The milk of human kindness. Cats like milk.

Hmmm... can a Cat "divorce" a human?

Yes. See discussion between Hamish and Honor immediately after Clean Killer adopted Harahap in the September 1922PD section of _Uncompromising Honor_.

There had been three cases of people who had been adopted by treecats who later committed serious offenses and were subsequently repudiated by their treecats. There was one individual who was convicted of "voluntary homicide" (how does this differ from murder?) and was not repudiated, but Honor thinks it should had been justifiable homicide.

Thanks Robert. I don't know why I didn't remember that. I remember it now that you mentioned it.

Tbe difference between murder and voluntary murder.

If Beth were to be overcome with rage in the heat of the moment and kill, that might be considered voluntary manslaughter. Beth was not seeking to kill someone. She had not planned it in malice aforethought.

As a matter of fact, I may have created a fake case which may be considered as at least a voluntary manslaughter defense for Nimitz.

cthia wrote:Diplomatic Incident

"I knew I shouldn't have attended that meeting!"

"The MA agent requested you."

"Justin, I was so angry inside that I wanted to reach over and pull his heart right out of his throat. Next thing I knew Ariel was handing it to me. What will we do, we can't prosecute Ariel! It was temporary insanity from channeling all of my rage."

"The reports say Ariel's tail was flicking so fast it sounded like an old-fashioned helicopter."

"I think my rage was a trigger for his. Isn't that how old-fashioned nukes work?"

I think at best Nimitz could be changed with voluntary manslaughter. If he doesn't get off on temporary insanity.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: A copper-plated moral decision for the 'Cats . . .
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:19 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:There had been three cases of people who had been adopted by treecats who later committed serious offenses and were subsequently repudiated by their treecats. There was one individual who was convicted of "voluntary homicide" (how does this differ from murder?) and was not repudiated, but Honor thinks it should had been justifiable homicide.

Presumably "voluntary homicide" was the legal charge; and just a different name within the Manticoran legal system for what the US would call a degree of either manslaughter or murder.

For example their legal system might reserve the charge of "murder" solely for premeditated killing; and use "voluntary homicide" as a lesser charge for a heat of the moment, non-premeditated killing (which in the US would, I believe, generally be considered 2nd degree murder).

Return to Honorverse