Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Space Combat

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Space Combat
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Crandall showed up with some of the newest Solly SDs in her fleet and/or had some of the most recent upgrades. So Manticore ONI was very happy to get its hands on whatever the latest hardware and software Crandall delivered to Mike's people.

When the SL starts commerce raiding (that is very much still on the table) they are going to be going after merchant ships. So we will see some of that and only a very few MMM ships carry any weapons at all or are set up to take on even a Solly DD or CA. What happens when the SLN raiders - we also presume the initial raids will be with FF forces- run into any of the RMN ships is going to be interesting. The older the ship, the more interesting since we can expect a single RMN ship encountering a couple or more SLN raiders.

Then there it the problem that Kingsford (with prompting by his personal Alignment Wormtonge) is quite likely to send raiders after Manticore allies. Perhaps Idaho. Even if Idaho has a SDF of more than LACs it is not likely to be anything like current generation RMN stuff though it could be 30 or 40 years old stuff sold as surplus and probably even a match for equivelent SLN stuff on a one-to-one basis. But that would probably be DDs, not even up to the CA range as it would be the very bold pirate who would have wanted to tackle merchant shipping where Manticore was effectively running the Astro Control for a wormhole. A 30 yr old former RMN DD would eat your garden variety pirate and look for a second course. I would presume here that Manticore would help train the SDF people from an partner such as Idaho and include them in joint excercies.

A small SLN squadron hitting a 2nd or 3rd ties Manticore trade partner is going to play hell with the local system. That is just the kind of tactic that would let the Mandarins point out that Manticore "can't" protect its opressed training partners and still let the raiders flee the scene claiming Vicotry when what they did was trash a totally overmatched system and ran while before they could be caught.

Could be intersting to have some SLN force (probably Battle Fleet) decide it was going to stop and Aldermani force going somewhere in the SL- like Mesa- and discover that there truly are a lot of things about neo-barbs that they have no idea about.
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Brigade XO wrote:Crandall showed up with some of the newest Solly SDs in her fleet and/or had some of the most recent upgrades. So Manticore ONI was very happy to get its hands on whatever the latest hardware and software Crandall delivered to Mike's people.

When the SL starts commerce raiding (that is very much still on the table) they are going to be going after merchant ships. So we will see some of that and only a very few MMM ships carry any weapons at all or are set up to take on even a Solly DD or CA. What happens when the SLN raiders - we also presume the initial raids will be with FF forces- run into any of the RMN ships is going to be interesting. The older the ship, the more interesting since we can expect a single RMN ship encountering a couple or more SLN raiders.

Then there it the problem that Kingsford (with prompting by his personal Alignment Wormtonge) is quite likely to send raiders after Manticore allies. Perhaps Idaho. Even if Idaho has a SDF of more than LACs it is not likely to be anything like current generation RMN stuff though it could be 30 or 40 years old stuff sold as surplus and probably even a match for equivelent SLN stuff on a one-to-one basis. But that would probably be DDs, not even up to the CA range as it would be the very bold pirate who would have wanted to tackle merchant shipping where Manticore was effectively running the Astro Control for a wormhole. A 30 yr old former RMN DD would eat your garden variety pirate and look for a second course. I would presume here that Manticore would help train the SDF people from an partner such as Idaho and include them in joint excercies.

A small SLN squadron hitting a 2nd or 3rd ties Manticore trade partner is going to play hell with the local system. That is just the kind of tactic that would let the Mandarins point out that Manticore "can't" protect its opressed training partners and still let the raiders flee the scene claiming Vicotry when what they did was trash a totally overmatched system and ran while before they could be caught.

Could be intersting to have some SLN force (probably Battle Fleet) decide it was going to stop and Aldermani force going somewhere in the SL- like Mesa- and discover that there truly are a lot of things about neo-barbs that they have no idea about.

I'm new here and this is my first post, but this looks like a good topic to be starting in.

If the SLN FF starts commerce raiding in GA space, it's opening itself up to retaliatory commerce raiding, as well as leaving substantial weaknesses in it's own territory. If I remember right, the Frontier Fleet was always complaining about a lack of ships to cover the immense area that was the Verge,Protectorate and Shell systems. If a good portion of FF and Battle fleet is off raiding GA space, if the GA can free up enough destroyers and cruisers to raid Solly space, then they can put a serious hurt on the SL. Especially if they do go after hard targets like shipyards and naval bases. It would be hard to rebuild an attack fleet if the shipyards and orbital support bases you're depending on to do it get blown out of space. The shipyards and naval bases would definitely be my main targets if I was raiding Solly space

If the SLN sent most of FF and BF's destroyers and cruisers with a few battleships and support ships to back them up, they could do a lot of damage, if they are willing to lose a huge portion of those ships. Remember the SLN will be operating deep in enemy territory with severely limited supplies, in a type of warfare they are quite unfamiliar with (when was the last time the Sollies used commerce raiders on someone even close to their size and military power?), so the SLN units will be at the end of a very very long and fragile rope and throwing away a good portion of their mobile units.

The GA will be well situated to raid on it's own through the MWJ and the junctions it holds. Especially after the SLN and the Mandarins stick their hand into the woodchipper that is Beowolf. If the GA can pry loose several squadrons for commerce raiding, that will help, as will whatever they can come up with for protecting their own backlines and systems. I think the SLN will try to do some raiding, but as inexperienced as they are at it and as bad as their ships are, it almost seems like they are just throwing ships at a problem and hoping something good happens. Although they are much more likely to get better results with the commerce raiding than using their destroyers and cruisers as missile sponges to overwhelm the main Manticore system.

And just to remind people, the RMN and RHN have both used Q-ships to devastating effect in the past. :twisted:
Post by Jeroswen   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

Theemile wrote:
Jeroswen wrote:I have never seen anything that states exactly what the SD model is that Beowulf is fielding. I "assumed" it would be the latest design from the League, probably a Scientist.

The "latest" Solarian SD design we know of is the Vega -
which were basically only repeat Scientists with a couple of additional missile tubes in each broadside.

But with the oldest Scientists being in the 200 year old range - the above doesn't really tell us anything about what is current. However, the flagships of all 3 SLN SD fleets we have seen have appeared to be Scientists, It doesn't bode well that there are many (or any) newer designs.

Its good to know that my memory hadn't totally failed me :-). I did forget about the Vega but after your explanation I can see why. What that also means is that Beowulf is probably running ships that are ammunition compatible with the Vega and Scientist class SD's.
Post by Jeroswen   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

Brigade XO wrote:Crandall showed up with some of the newest Solly SDs in her fleet and/or had some of the most recent upgrades. So Manticore ONI was very happy to get its hands on whatever the latest hardware and software Crandall delivered to Mike's people.

It has been mentioned before that it would be very amusing to have the SLN send an attack against Grayson. If they look into the histories of their targets they will leave Grayson alone. Of course something like that would bring Caslet or Yu into an actual fight.....

All kidding aside with all the new names being tossed around. It would be nice to see how several members of Grayson are doing these days. Seeing them command a task force or fleet against the SLN or Manpower would be really, really cool.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Zakharra,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite [simulated] beverage on the [simulated] house. ;)

Kudos for being quite right on several points.

The FF indeed has far too few ships for all its current missions before considering such an operation, and given how quickly things are changing, how many FF CO's will feel their first duty is to protect the member systems where they've bonded, especially when the system begs them to stay while they both ask for clarification.

Kingsford is talking about sending 'only' BC's to raid the GA commerce, because he now knows BF's SD's are so outclassed.

What the FF thinks of being missile sponges in lieu of far better armored BF SD's will be interesting to see. ;)

The guy who advised him to do this is a MAlign agent, who doesn't care if the mainly FF BC's get chewed up really badly or not, as long as they're away from most of the SL for month's when the GA and the expected general chaos comes calling, because they expect it will continue to make the SL look bad and give reason for the RF to rise go public and establish itself as the refuge for all those desperate systems.

Given how much has already gone off the rails of the MAlign plan, we shouldn't expect this part to go that well either. :D

As you pointed out, commerce raiding with the exception of the OFS/FF Case Buccaneer isn't a standard SLN tactic, nor is deep raiding, though that may have been part of the original purpose of Crandall's Winter Forage Exercise.

We don't know how deep Beowulf's taps in the SLN go, but I suspect all of them aren't in Sol, but includes talkative neighbors as well, so the GA should have some warning.

Among other things, I would have every potential GA system target broadcast a warning that the GA already knows you're coming and why, with a few suggestions that the systems they left need them more than Kingsford does.

Nominally unarmed [without hyper warships] neighbors like Idaho ought to at least have a couple of old BC's etc with lots of pods visiting, each with 73+ pods tractored to the hull, if not far more since it has a wormhole.

Since the GA has lots of old BC's and heavy cruisers, NTM old SD's and lots of pods, even if RMN missile production hasn't already restarted, all the minor GA systems ought to be well picketed. ;)

Can you imagine the FF CO's reaction when the large freighters in orbit turn out to be RMN SD's? ;)

Especially when it its too late to avoid action? :D

If the RMN can't completely crew them (and they may not need to be fully crewed), perhaps the RHN might help out, along with other GA members like BSDF reservists etc.

RFC has downplayed RMN Q-ships for a while, so don't expect them to play a prominent role soon, but there still might be some RHN Q-ships though they'd probably be very obsolete by Haven sector standards, but RFC is full of surprises; suppose after Caslet got back that the survivors were modified to launch pods as well?

Then there's the possibility of IAN Q-ships. ;)

Regarding the GA raiding the SL infrastructure or replying in kind in general, I don't think the GA is that desperate yet by any means.

Their first priority after Beowulf will be eliminating threats including those sometimes aimed at SL members so eradicating the BF reserve will be near the top of the list before it can be split up since they can't afford to pay to mobilize it at the moment, besides the 7 odd systems that still build SLN SD's.

After the BF is effectively eliminated, eliminating the 20-30 yards and bases in whatever systems that build FF warships would be next, then those systems already judged hostile to the GA, like Yildin, if it hadn't been targeted in the BF strike.

Once the immediate SLN's infrastructure is gone, the remainder of the FF scattered among 1800+ member systems and several hundred protectorates, roughly 3+ ships per system including those going or coming, will begin to feel very lonely I suspect; and much more willing to listen to any proposal a GA TG CO might propose, if the GA doesn't go after the FF sector or nodal concentrations as third on its priority list, for whatever reason.

L

Zakharra wrote:

I'm new here and this is my first post, but this looks like a good topic to be starting in.

If the SLN FF starts commerce raiding in GA space, it's opening itself up to retaliatory commerce raiding, as well as leaving substantial weaknesses in it's own territory. If I remember right, the Frontier Fleet was always complaining about a lack of ships to cover the immense area that was the Verge,Protectorate and Shell systems. If a good portion of FF and Battle fleet is off raiding GA space, if the GA can free up enough destroyers and cruisers to raid Solly space, then they can put a serious hurt on the SL. Especially if they do go after hard targets like shipyards and naval bases. It would be hard to rebuild an attack fleet if the shipyards and orbital support bases you're depending on to do it get blown out of space. The shipyards and naval bases would definitely be my main targets if I was raiding Solly space

If the SLN sent most of FF and BF's destroyers and cruisers with a few battleships and support ships to back them up, they could do a lot of damage, if they are willing to lose a huge portion of those ships. Remember the SLN will be operating deep in enemy territory with severely limited supplies, in a type of warfare they are quite unfamiliar with (when was the last time the Sollies used commerce raiders on someone even close to their size and military power?), so the SLN units will be at the end of a very very long and fragile rope and throwing away a good portion of their mobile units.

The GA will be well situated to raid on it's own through the MWJ and the junctions it holds. Especially after the SLN and the Mandarins stick their hand into the woodchipper that is Beowolf. If the GA can pry loose several squadrons for commerce raiding, that will help, as will whatever they can come up with for protecting their own backlines and systems. I think the SLN will try to do some raiding, but as inexperienced as they are at it and as bad as their ships are, it almost seems like they are just throwing ships at a problem and hoping something good happens. Although they are much more likely to get better results with the commerce raiding than using their destroyers and cruisers as missile sponges to overwhelm the main Manticore system.

And just to remind people, the RMN and RHN have both used Q-ships to devastating effect in the past. :twisted:
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by hanuman   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:31 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Lyonheart, you bring up an interesting point. I don't know whether this has been discussed elsewhere yet, but I wonder which of the Manticoran Alliance's minor members will sign up for the Grand Alliance?

We know Grayson will, but Grayson is hardly a 'minor' member.

As a matter of fact, has it ever been clarified exactly which star nations belonged to the Manticoran Alliance, besides Manticore itself, Grayson, Zanzibar, Alizon, Idaho and Marsh?
Post by kzt   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:37 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:Lyonheart, you bring up an interesting point. I don't know whether this has been discussed elsewhere yet, but I wonder which of the Manticoran Alliance's minor members will sign up for the Grand Alliance?

As a matter of fact, has it ever been clarified exactly which star nations belonged to the Manticoran Alliance, besides Manticore itself, Grayson, Zanzibar, Alizon, Idaho and Marsh?

There were some implied lists. For example, Talbot was a member, as was erehwon. I'm also not sure if Marsh really signed the same kind of deal as the others, as they had a different situation. Not sure if there was a complete list. Or at least a complete list that was printed, there seem to be all sorts of crazy detail in David's notes.
Post by Zakharra   » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:52 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hi Zakharra,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite [simulated] beverage on the [simulated] house. ;)

The FF indeed has far too few ships for all its current missions before considering such an operation, and given how quickly things are changing, how many FF CO's will feel their first duty is to protect the member systems where they've bonded, especially when the system begs them to stay while they both ask for clarification.

Kingsford is talking about sending 'only' BC's to raid the GA commerce, because he now knows BF's SD's are so outclassed.

What the FF thinks of being missile sponges in lieu of far better armored BF SD's will be interesting to see. ;)

The guy who advised him to do this is a MAlign agent, who doesn't care if the mainly FF BC's get chewed up really badly or not, as long as they're away from most of the SL for month's when the GA and the expected general chaos comes calling, because they expect it will continue to make the SL look bad and give reason for the RF to rise go public and establish itself as the refuge for all those desperate systems.

Given how much has already gone off the rails of the MAlign plan, we shouldn't expect this part to go that well either. :D

Thank you. I think the FF will be tapped to do a lot of this, but as FF can actually find its rear with both hands and pour water from its shoes without having to read an instruction manual ( I liked that description in the books. :P ) since they do have more of a clue what's likely to happen, I think there will be some resistance to trying to send off too much of the FF's BCs. Still, it's said that they can build BCs and other cruisers and destroyer types a -lot- faster than obsolete SDs, so I expect the yards to start pumping those out asap. If the yards survive that is. And the League's going to need those ships to try and maintain its hold on the systems it already has.

Do you think any sector commanders of the FF would be laying plans to form their own little kingdoms like the Maya Sector is?

Admiral Kingsford seems to have a working mind and seems to be a decent human, for a SLN officer. He knows what Manticore, Haven and Beowolf have been saying about Mesa and the Malign, so hopefully that's percolating in the back of his mind if any more disasters happen due to intelligence that is oddly wrong. The more the SLN officer corp wakes up, the harder it might be for the agents to start fooling them. Especially with officers like Capt. Daud al-Fanudahi and his aid, Major Tarkovshy and the people like them that are opening their eyes and realizing that the SLN and the SL is in serious trouble, inside and out. So I hope that the SLN officers that do have an idea what's going on will do something.

I'm sure the Malign has 'plans' for any such people, but the GA could not have been planned for, nor could Beowolf voting to secede from the League. But at the same time I think the Malign's plans are coming off the rails real fast. Of course they are an organization that specializes in centuries old plans and machinations and manipulation, that -know- they are smarter and more cleaver than anyone else (self delusion to a large degree I think since they had kept everything secret for centuries), so they might think they can get things back on track, but their best weapon has just been removed, their secrecy, and that's going to affect everything they try and do.

Honestly though, I don't expect the League to survive for more than 5 years without breaking into several chunks. But during and after that time, there's going to be a lot of space combat as fleets contest with each other, the SLN tries to raid the GA and the GA returns the favor, with pointed lessons on how to do it -right-. The IAN stepping in to do something about Mesa and Manpower and who knows what else. Perhaps they might have some systems join them. Either way, it's going to be an interesting read and I hope that some of the characters I've come to like survive.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Zakarra,

Kudos on another cogent post. ;)

I think most of our favorite characters will survive, but RFC doesn't write what we want, or think we want, but what feels right to him, and more power to him.

Aside: there was a science fiction story in Analog back in the '70's about a an Isaac-Asimovian type character who's fantastic writing production is because he's cloned himself and offers to clone the struggling S-F writer who discovers his secret, only to have his lawyer's clones walk in on the deal for their cut etc...

If only cloning were that advanced, think how many more RFC books we could read; would fans pay for the cloning? :lol:

I don't think the SL is going to have time to build more BC's since that would take at least a year, and I don't think SL shipyards have a year. 8-)

There may well be some FF officers who will begin creating their own fiefdoms, but sustaining such in the face of the GA having the most powerful navies in the explored universe, ought to be something of a deterrent if they start to misbehave.

Given the small size of the MAlign that we now know thanks to CoG [from the very few evacuated from Mesa], it's unlikely that there are that many agents to eliminate all good SLN officers when they smell the rats.

Those at SLN HQ are obviously far more vulnerable, and we may yet see them snuffed and eliminated with few to wonder why they disappeared, or possibly only al-Fanudahi, since the rest haven't revealed themselves unless their offices have been bugged.

Hopefully, the MAlign considers him useful as someone pointing out how wrong the admirals are, to be used by Audrey O'Hanrahan at the right moment, then possibly disappeared only after she interviews him and can't refute what she says he said, except Captain Teague knows he didn't talk like that or would say those things, so where can she go?

I doubt the master of space combat is going to short change us when it comes to space battles during the collapse of the greatest empire known to man. ;)

L

Zakharra wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Zakharra,

Thank you. I think the FF will be tapped to do a lot of this, but as FF can actually find its rear with both hands and pour water from its shoes without having to read an instruction manual ( I liked that description in the books. :P ) since they do have more of a clue what's likely to happen, I think there will be some resistance to trying to send off too much of the FF's BCs. Still, it's said that they can build BCs and other cruisers and destroyer types a -lot- faster than obsolete SDs, so I expect the yards to start pumping those out asap. If the yards survive that is. And the League's going to need those ships to try and maintain its hold on the systems it already has.

Do you think any sector commanders of the FF would be laying plans to form their own little kingdoms like the Maya Sector is?

Admiral Kingsford seems to have a working mind and seems to be a decent human, for a SLN officer. He knows what Manticore, Haven and Beowolf have been saying about Mesa and the Malign, so hopefully that's percolating in the back of his mind if any more disasters happen due to intelligence that is oddly wrong. The more the SLN officer corp wakes up, the harder it might be for the agents to start fooling them. Especially with officers like Capt. Daud al-Fanudahi and his aid, Major Tarkovshy and the people like them that are opening their eyes and realizing that the SLN and the SL is in serious trouble, inside and out. So I hope that the SLN officers that do have an idea what's going on will do something.

I'm sure the Malign has 'plans' for any such people, but the GA could not have been planned for, nor could Beowolf voting to secede from the League. But at the same time I think the Malign's plans are coming off the rails real fast. Of course they are an organization that specializes in centuries old plans and machinations and manipulation, that -know- they are smarter and more cleaver than anyone else (self delusion to a large degree I think since they had kept everything secret for centuries), so they might think they can get things back on track, but their best weapon has just been removed, their secrecy, and that's going to affect everything they try and do.

Honestly though, I don't expect the League to survive for more than 5 years without breaking into several chunks. But during and after that time, there's going to be a lot of space combat as fleets contest with each other, the SLN tries to raid the GA and the GA returns the favor, with pointed lessons on how to do it -right-. The IAN stepping in to do something about Mesa and Manpower and who knows what else. Perhaps they might have some systems join them. Either way, it's going to be an interesting read and I hope that some of the characters I've come to like survive.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by SWM   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:53 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:Lyonheart, you bring up an interesting point. I don't know whether this has been discussed elsewhere yet, but I wonder which of the Manticoran Alliance's minor members will sign up for the Grand Alliance?

IMHO, it is not likely that the smaller members of the Manticoran Alliance will join the Grand Alliance. For the war against Haven, they had an immediate and personal stake in the matter--if they didn't join the Manticoran Alliance, Haven would have gobbled them up before taking on the Manticoran Alliance. They also had something to contribute--forward bases (in a time when forward bases were desired and deep raids were not used).

In the war against the Solarian League, they have nothing to contribute. The number of ships they can provide is negligible, and they are behind the lines rather than forward bases. They have a long-term stake in the outcome, in that the League will expand in their direction eventually if not stopped. But in the short term, they are actually a liability--one more place that Manticore would have to protect against Solarian raids. I don't think Manticore will ask the small members of the Manticoran Alliance to join the Grand Alliance.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse