Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

found a use for the ex-Sollie SD.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: found a use for the ex-Sollie SD.
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:47 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Here's a theoretical poser for you:

6 Bellerophons vs 8 Scientists and 8 Novas.

No weird situation. Call it a Sollie raid on Sidemore or Alizon or someplace.

Who wins?

(Iknow! I know! :twisted: )

dreamrider
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Here's a theoretical poser for you:

Who wins?

dreamrider

what year tech in the Bellerophons 1900, 1905 or 1920. Pods or no pods?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Actually, his comment is that they are fairly useless as weapons platforms. Presumably they still work as ships, and as in-space structures, though perhaps inefficiently.

That "inefficiently" is what kills their usefulness as anything other than weapons platforms, too. Only someplace with a population the size of the SL can afford even the minimal crew required for a Harbor Watch -- let alone enough crew for minimal mobility and/or weapons readiness.

The inefficiencies are just compounded by the availability of more suitable ships for just about every possible use. Even as "Scarecrows" they're only scary inside energy range and they're too slow to get in energy range of anyone who wants to stay away. Even second hand Trojan class Q-Ships would be cheaper and more capable.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:57 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:

Who wins?

dreamrider

Does it matter, as long as it is the same year for the Sollies?

Standard load-outs, for the year selected.

(The only difference will be the Manticoran repair bill.)
:twisted:

dreamrider
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:

Who wins?

dreamrider

I doubt there is any RMN SD task force that isn't equipped with pods. Plus I think any year Bellerophon can fire Mk-16G's internally; I doubt any are in service that can't.

I'd bet even money on the Bellerophons even if the Scientists and Novas are towing Cataphract-C pods. At worst, the fight would be a MAD Draw.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Who wins?

dreamrider

Sidemore, Dec 1922 - 6 Bellerophons surrounded by shoals of mk 23c flatpack pods at the fleet base for defense.

Sollies have Cataphract B in Tubes and heavy load of Cataphract C pods (15 per SD)

Sollies enter system and go for zero/zero intercept with Sidemore. Pod loads limit their accel to ~300g

- Bellerophones have 2 basic options

1) charge out with ~150 flatpacks tractored to each DN (just enough to NOT block sensors and firecontrol). At 60 MKm open fire with 10 pods per DN (600 missiles/salvo) with 12 seconds between salvos, each salvo targeting 2 SDs being closely watched by Ghostrider drones for updating targeting solutions.

2) Sit in the Shoals of Pods and wait for the Sollies. at 60MKm open fire throwing everything you can including some sysdef pods in blind fire, in 12 second salvos. Use Ghostrider drones to update targeting solutions.

Either way Sollies are toast.

option 3

When The Sollies hit turnover, the Bellerphones accel out of Orbit at ~620gs about 30degrees off the Sollie base couse with heavy stealth/ECM looking like some CAs bolting. As the the Sollies slow to their planetary intercept, the DNs maneuver around behind them and hit the Sollies simultaneously by the DN fired pods (see #1) and System Defense pods in Sidemore orbit when the SLN force is still 60-70 MKM from SideMore.

SLN force toast- Risk of Cataphracts fired against planet.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I doubt there is any RMN SD task force that isn't equipped with pods. Plus I think any year Bellerophon can fire Mk-16G's internally; I doubt any are in service that can't.

I'd bet even money on the Bellerophons even if the Scientists and Novas are towing Cataphract-C pods. At worst, the fight would be a MAD Draw.
I seriously doubt that Manticore has sunk the yard time into making their older tube units compatible with a CA/BC weight DDM. While it's presumably small enough you don't need to enlarge the ammo handling passages from the magazines to the tubes, it probably needs modified magazines to handle it and it definitely requires major modification to each launcher to perform the microfusion start-up. (Which takes longer, and requires different equipment than charging an old-style missile's capacitors)

And that's assuming you do a minimum modification. Units designed for fusion powered missiles also have (IIRC) more extensive armoring and coffer-damming around and behind the tube to protect from a chain reaction taking out most of a broadside should something cause a microfusion plant to catastrophically fail. But putting that it requires a lot more armor work than just replacing the launcher.

No, I suspect that the remaining SD(non-P) units are still firing capacitor driven SDMs. Though the warhead improvements may have made their way onto them.

Who wins?

dreamrider
But back to this, I think it'd be more interesting as a hypothetical pre-pod fight. Once pods are mixed in Manticore clearly has an advantage; they get pods first (allowing at least a decisive initial volley followed by a retreat; highly disproportionate damage) and by the time the SLN does get pods the Manties are up to flat-pack, self-tractoring, MDM/Apollo pods giving even more lopsided advantage)

Prior to that they've do have more point defense, and faster cyclic rates, but are heavily outnumbered. The total number of tubes and defenses the extra 10 Sollie SDs bring probably more than offsets the better missiles and faster fire rate of the Bellerophons. At that point I suspect all they can hope for is a favorable ratio of damage inflicted before having to retreat.
Post by Yow   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Target practice. Breakers. Target practice. Spares. Target practice. Test beds. Target practice. Customs. Target practice. Search and Rescue. Target practice. Demolition Derbies. Target practice. Ships on Stick. Target practice. Exotic and Excentric Yachts. Target practice. Floating Trailer Park. Target practice. Not neccessarily in order.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:37 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Yow wrote:Target practice. Breakers. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Demolition Derbies. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Not neccessarily in order.

Fixed! :mrgreen: :lol:
Post by Yow   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:
Yow wrote:Target practice. Breakers. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Demolition Derbies. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Target practice. Not neccessarily in order.

Fixed! :mrgreen: :lol:

Slip me a few for my SD trailor park and it's a deal :D
edit: oops, forgot sumpten, " f'yeah! 'Murica!!! "

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"

Return to Honorverse