Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

OK KZT: What's wrong with AAC?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OK KZT: What's wrong with AAC?
Post by cthia   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Got any ideas? Because I don't, short of some sort of GPS telemetried to the missiles from Hermes Buoys seeded throughout a friendly system. But in general, I got nothing.

The pods don't have to be oriented in a certain way. I am simply giving them the benefit of the doubt. They need to be fired in the right direction, so whether they are physically arranged pointing in the right direction before launch or they maneuver accordingly, my point has always been that they need initial instructions from the ship to do so. I can't see how missiles exit the ship kinesthetically omniscient. How can a missile know where it is, let alone where the enemy is without being led to slaughter?

Missiles have always had to be led to laughter. The longer the range to target the more important it is to maintain the link with the ship. Greatly extended ranges have an inherent lightspeed limit which was problematical in steering a missile to target. FTL was invented to shorten the lag time. So, in greatly extended ranges, how does even an Apollo missile manage to find its arse from a hole in the ground if there is absolutely no communication with the mothership immediately after launch?

That is what happens to pods. They have to receive guidance instructions. Didn't David say that missiles didn't lock on to the wedge? They couldn't at extended ranges anyway.

Which is my point. When would the mothership share that data? While they are in their launch tubes? That data may be useless by the time they are actually launched. And if the link with the mothership is cut immediately after launch...

I simply cannot swallow that cutting both tendons of an Apollo launch immediately after launch won't render a launch useless. We do know that traditional missiles are rendered useless if their mothership is destroyed by the enemy launch. I understand that that only applies to non GA ships, but whatever Apollo changed to make that no longer true I haven't a clue.

If that is true, then why are enemy launches negated if their ships are destroyed? It is because they don't have Apollo.

But! What makes Apollo so special that the missiles DO NOT NEED THE LINK?! So an Apollo missile can just arrange itself toward the right "quadrant of the sky" before it lights off its drive, and it won't light off before its cohort in front of it lights off? And it will head towards the enemy all without additional instructions after it leaves the ship? So, Apollo missiles no longer need an FTL link or any other type of tendon it would seem? If an Apollo missile simply needs coordinates then they never needed an FTL link -- if they can simply be given initial coordinates -- other than which target to destroy.

Yes, the missiles can detect gravitics, but those sensors are very limited as you said. The gravitc footprint of a particular target only comes into play after the missiles finds itself within its own detection range. I am proposing cutting Apollo's entire launch immediately after launch. They should all be orphaned at that point. Little orphaned Annies.

I can believe that they are programmed in the tubes with initial instructions, but I don't think that bearing and possibly mode is selected until after they exit the ship, and have cleared the wedge!

Off-bore launches should be even more dependent on additional communication from the mothership before launch to reorient itself properly before lighting off its wedge. A missile's wedge is brought up to power. It doesn't bmake sense for a missile's to have to fight against a full up wedge to turn it. So, either Apollo missiles still incorporate a rocket for its initial orientation (which I am unaware of) or they are oriented in advance.

Do you accept that a drone can be fired and run a complex course without special instructions from the ship?

I accept it, sure. I am simply trying to understand it. But since you opened that can of worms, I have never been completely comfortable with a lot of the things that drones can do either. But let's bracket drones for the moment because the difference is that that ability has always been stated as being a part of a drone's ability. BTW, even drones communicate with the ship, but for the most part I agree that they have always been completely autonomous.

But missiles are different. Storyline has always asserted that missiles had to be guided to their targets by a communications link that became less efficient as engagement ranges increased. Missiles never had a self awareness of their location in the quadrant in an absolute sense.

I agree that if drones can, missiles can. How? Exactly? I don't rightly know. But if they can simply mimick that apparent ability of drones, then other navies such as the SLN should have the capability as well.

tlb wrote:It would defeat the purpose, if the ship had to continually send instructions to a reconnaissance drone that was intended to be stealthily checking an enemy position. I think you need to accept that missiles have some sort of guidance system that can get them from point A to somewhere close to point B. The ship cannot be treating them like an old-fashioned RC plane, where every change had to be communicated in the minutest detail and they certainly cannot count on anything like a GPS satellite being available.

The biggest part of ship control among the pre-Apollo missiles had to do with when to light off the decoys and Dazzlers, acquiring a target and then discriminating between valuable targets and enemy decoys. But with Apollo, the command missiles can do all that, if necessary. However I believe that even the older missiles could try to attack the enemy without continual instructions: note that Filareta's mass launch killed ships and people that Honor regretted.

Operating like an old-fashioned RC plane was exactly their MO before Apollo.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:54 pm

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:But I am asking how, exactly is that accomplished? Do the missiles incorporate some sort of highly sensitive gimbal that interfaces with the computer which measures time and acceleration to figure position?

cthia wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:I don't see any reason why it couldn't be accomplished.

Got any ideas? Because I don't, short of some sort of GPS telemetried to the missiles from Hermes Buoys seeded throughout a friendly system. But in general, I got nothing.

Consider how New Horizons, a 478-kilo probe does this:

Attitude determination – knowing which direction New Horizons is facing – is performed using star-tracking cameras, Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) (containing sophisticated gyroscopes and accelerometers that measure rotation and horizontal/vertical motion), and digital Sun sensors. Attitude control for the spacecraft – whether in a steady, three-axis pointing mode or in a spin-stabilized mode – is accomplished using thrusters.

The IMUs and star trackers provide constant positional information to the spacecraft’s Guidance and Control processor, which like the Command and Data Handling processor is a 12-MHz Mongoose V. New Horizons carries two copies of each of these units for redundancy. The star-tracking cameras store a map of about 3,000 stars; 10 times per second one of the cameras snaps a wide-angle picture of space, compares the locations of the stars to its onboard map, and calculates the spacecraft’s orientation.

Position checks ten times every second! All missiles(much larger than our satellites and probes) going back a long, long time in the Honorverse should be capable of that, at the very least. You've invented an issue where there simply isn't one.

I simply cannot swallow that cutting both tendons of an Apollo launch immediately after launch won't render a launch useless. We do know that traditional missiles are rendered useless if their mothership is destroyed by the enemy launch. I understand that that only applies to non GA ships, but whatever Apollo changed to make that no longer true I haven't a clue.

Not useless - just less effective, in a similar way that Apollo-without-FTL is less effective than Apollo-with-FTL but still lethal. The performance of "orphaned" missiles is quite poor, but it's not like they freeze up and then self-destruct. They still try to find and hit something.
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 4:57 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But missiles are different. Storyline has always asserted that missiles had to be guided to their targets by a communications link that became less efficient as engagement ranges increased. Missiles never had a self awareness of their location in the quadrant in an absolute sense.

I agree that if drones can, missiles can. How? Exactly? I don't rightly know. But if they can simply mimick that apparent ability of drones, then other navies such as the SLN should have the capability as well.

cthia wrote:But I am asking how, exactly is that accomplished? Do the missiles incorporate some sort of highly sensitive gimbal that interfaces with the computer which measures time and acceleration to figure position?

-- snip --

We do know that traditional missiles are rendered useless if their mothership is destroyed by the enemy launch. I understand that that only applies to non GA ships, but whatever Apollo changed to make that no longer true I haven't a clue.

munroburton wrote:Not useless - just less effective, in a similar way that Apollo-without-FTL is less effective than Apollo-with-FTL but still lethal. The performance of "orphaned" missiles is quite poor, but it's not like they freeze up and then self-destruct. They still try to find and hit something.

The star map sounds good as one possible way; missiles might not have a good view forward, but with no sidewalls there can be an open view to to the sides. I am not sure how well inertial guidance would work, because missiles do have an acceleration damper built into the drive (as a way to get some compensator effect).

The communication link is important (but less so with Apollo), however I do not believe it is ever stated that missiles are totally useless without that link nor is it ever stated that missiles have no sense of where they are. As Munroburton says, they are just much less effective without Apollo. I hope you are not thinking of the case after engine burn-out.

Again I will point out that the initial mass launch from Filareta's fleet was totally uncontrolled, but did destroy ships in Honor's command. Which means that uncontrolled SLN missiles do have the ability to move toward the enemy and hit them.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 07, 2022 8:09 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I simply cannot swallow that cutting both tendons of an Apollo launch immediately after launch won't render a launch useless. We do know that traditional missiles are rendered useless if their mothership is destroyed by the enemy launch. I understand that that only applies to non GA ships, but whatever Apollo changed to make that no longer true if it is true, I haven't a clue.

Leaving the rest of the discussion aside because others have answered, let me just point out that there is NO chance of jamming a missile right after launch, much less one that has two communication media like the Apollo. The light-speed link is probably a laser comm, which is the only way you'd have a limitation in the number of links in the first place. If it were omnidirectional radio, then you'd have to do some kind of multiplexing, either in time or in frequency, but that would put an upper limit in the total number of links possible in a region of space, not dependent on the number of ships involved.

You can't jam lasers from further afield of the receiver. You need to be either between the transmitter and receiver or behind the transmitter. In the latter case, it means the missiles were fired in the completely wrong direction... in which case you shouldn't jam, just pretend you're not there. "Don't interrupt an enemy when he's in the process of making a mistake" and all.

Maybe you could jam with RD equivalents that did manage to sneak in close by, but your ships haven't because that would be suicide. The problem then is that you're suggesting that they could interrupt communication immediately after launch, which would mean those EW platforms are insanely close to the launching ships and putting out an incredible amount of energy out. There's no way the ship could miss them even before they started jamming, but once it powers up and starts jamming, it's going to be completely unmistakable. And well within PDLC range, so they're also easy pickings. In fact, if you could sneak in such a powerful platform that close to the target ship... just ram it.

So even if you could somehow jam the FTL link because it's made of a medium we don't know the physics for, you can't jam the light-speed laser link, at least not soon enough. So those Apollo missiles will get targetting instructions, and we know how effective they are 200 million km away from launch, without FTL links. Plus, we also have evidence that the FTL comms are highly directional, so jamming them may be equally difficult.
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 8:28 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Plus, we also have evidence that the FTL comms are highly directional, so jamming them may be equally difficult.

If jamming methods were attempted, then the direction nature suggests that a system such as used in noise cancellation could be added: add an FTL receiver pointing forwards and subtract some fraction of its input signal from the input signal of the main FTL receiver that points backwards.

The jamming depends on the directionality not being perfect, so if it were ninety percent efficient then divide by ten and subtract; the valid signal will decrease by one percent and the jamming signal will be removed.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 07, 2022 10:59 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If jamming methods were attempted, then the direction nature suggests that a system such as used in noise cancellation could be added: add an FTL receiver pointing forwards and subtract some fraction of its input signal from the input signal of the main FTL receiver that points backwards.

That sounds incredibly difficult for an EM signal, considering that the equipment that does this processing takes non-zero time and is likely offset from the direct line of travel, so it can't be fast enough to cope with the light signal that is ahead of it. If it can make predictions, that's another story.

For FTL signals, I don't see how that's possible. The wavefront will be much further downrange by the time the interference is calculated. Some Star Trek non-canon manuals say the computer core is wrapped inside a subspace field so it operates at FTL speeds, but there's no such thing in the Honorverse and would not be possible.

I don't see how interference could work. But this is an area where the author could simply decide the physics of the universe do allow for it and we'd have to accept. Jamming is more possible, but I still find it unlikely.
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 11:27 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If jamming methods were attempted, then the direction nature suggests that a system such as used in noise cancellation could be added: add an FTL receiver pointing forwards and subtract some fraction of its input signal from the input signal of the main FTL receiver that points backwards.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:That sounds incredibly difficult for an EM signal, considering that the equipment that does this processing takes non-zero time and is likely offset from the direct line of travel, so it can't be fast enough to cope with the light signal that is ahead of it. If it can make predictions, that's another story.

For FTL signals, I don't see how that's possible. The wavefront will be much further downrange by the time the interference is calculated. Some Star Trek non-canon manuals say the computer core is wrapped inside a subspace field so it operates at FTL speeds, but there's no such thing in the Honorverse and would not be possible.

I don't see how interference could work. But this is an area where the author could simply decide the physics of the universe do allow for it and we'd have to accept. Jamming is more possible, but I still find it unlikely.

I am assuming that the FTL is transformed by the receiver into an electric signal (otherwise how can the missile process it?) and people do that sort of thing with electrical signals all the time; no prediction needed. If anything the FTL inputs should make things easier, because the wave basically hits the front and back at the same time; so no worrying about signal lag. But I am not an electrical engineer, so if I have the concept of electronic noise cancellation wrong, I am sure someone will tell me.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:14 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Do you accept that a drone can be fired and run a complex course without special instructions from the ship? It would defeat the purpose, if the ship had to continually send instructions to a reconnaissance drone that was intended to be stealthily checking an enemy position. I think you need to accept that missiles have some sort of guidance system that can get them from point A to somewhere close to point B. The ship cannot be treating them like an old-fashioned RC plane, where every change had to be communicated in the minutest detail and they certainly cannot count on anything like a GPS satellite being available.

The biggest part of ship control among the pre-Apollo missiles had to do with when to light off the decoys and Dazzlers, acquiring a target and then discriminating between valuable targets and enemy decoys. But with Apollo, the command missiles can do all that, if necessary. However I believe that even the older missiles could try to attack the enemy without continual instructions: note that Filareta's mass launch killed ships and people that Honor regretted.

Even today we have missiles that basically have an autopilot that as part of their launch commands are told "fly to here and then activate your sensors to find and hit your target".

Just like those current missiles get fed their autopilot's settings as part of the signals that initiate their launch I'd assume the missile's in MDM pods are sent their location and the course they need to follow to close with the enemy as part of the signals from their mothership initiating their launch. (And since the launching ships knows, relative to itself, both were its pod is and where the enemy is - it already has all the info the missile needs to fly from here to there. The missile doesn't need to know where it is relative to the system primary (so no need for a GPS like system), just the relative information to get from where it launches to the enemy)

And don't forget than as significant as Apollo's ability to attack without a control link it that it's far more effective with a control link. Without one it's about 30% as effective as a normal MDM (presumably that's compared to an MDM are a reasonable range like 45-50 million km). With a lightspeed link it should be a bit more effective than a normal MDM (speculate maybe 120%-150% as good), and with FTL links it's easily 3-5 times better than a normal MDM.

So if the launch ship gets killed or jammed immediately after launch (and nobody else can provide the control link) you're probably looking at over a 10-fold reduction in effectiveness.

It's just that a normal MDM without a control link is even worse. It's not totally harmless -- even Filerata's launch, which never got any updates, got some hits and LAC kills -- but it's probably at least another order of magnitude worse than link-less Apollo (so less than 3% as effective as a controlled MDM)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I am assuming that the FTL is transformed by the receiver into an electric signal (otherwise how can the missile process it?) and people do that sort of thing with electrical signals all the time; no prediction needed. If anything the FTL inputs should make things easier, because the wave basically hits the front and back at the same time; so no worrying about signal lag. But I am not an electrical engineer, so if I have the concept of electronic noise cancellation wrong, I am sure someone will tell me.

Oh, you're talking about generating a wavefront that, when it washes over the receiver, causes destructive interference in the electrical components? That's an intriguing idea.

But far more complex, actually. You'd need to very accurately model what the equipment is doing. That's extremely difficult... especially if you don't have access to intact specimens of them. I suppose the PN and RHN did capture a few intact Ghost Riders (probably as part of capturing full ships, like HMS Eclipse), but that hasn't happened for the Alignment yet, much less for the Mk23-E or F control missiles.

Plus, all that modelling would become invalid if the missile's internals change even slightly. That could happen as part of routine updates to components, such as sourcing them from different suppliers. It's possibly the different systems producing those missiles would be sufficiently different internally among themselves that "one size fits all" does not actually fit. The defender might need to know which exactly production lot a missile wave came from to implement this strategy. That's impractical.

It would be far easier to do it at the gravitic transceiver assembly. You're right that the delay in processing might be negligible. Since the signal and the interference travel at the same speed, the delay in receiving the two for all effects a constant that is equal to the delay in calculating that interference. But you still need a platform that is located near enough the transmission path between the mothership and the receiver.

And yes, I am an electrical engineer (though I've never worked in the field).
Post by tlb   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I am assuming that the FTL is transformed by the receiver into an electric signal (otherwise how can the missile process it?) and people do that sort of thing with electrical signals all the time; no prediction needed. If anything the FTL inputs should make things easier, because the wave basically hits the front and back at the same time; so no worrying about signal lag. But I am not an electrical engineer, so if I have the concept of electronic noise cancellation wrong, I am sure someone will tell me.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Oh, you're talking about generating a wavefront that, when it washes over the receiver, causes destructive interference in the electrical components? That's an intriguing idea.

But far more complex, actually. You'd need to very accurately model what the equipment is doing. That's extremely difficult... especially if you don't have access to intact specimens of them. I suppose the PN and RHN did capture a few intact Ghost Riders (probably as part of capturing full ships, like HMS Eclipse), but that hasn't happened for the Alignment yet, much less for the Mk23-E or F control missiles.

Plus, all that modelling would become invalid if the missile's internals change even slightly. That could happen as part of routine updates to components, such as sourcing them from different suppliers. It's possibly the different systems producing those missiles would be sufficiently different internally among themselves that "one size fits all" does not actually fit. The defender might need to know which exactly production lot a missile wave came from to implement this strategy. That's impractical.

It would be far easier to do it at the gravitic transceiver assembly. You're right that the delay in processing might be negligible. Since the signal and the interference travel at the same speed, the delay in receiving the two for all effects a constant that is equal to the delay in calculating that interference. But you still need a platform that is located near enough the transmission path between the mothership and the receiver.

And yes, I am an electrical engineer (though I've never worked in the field).

To be clear, I am not talking about creating a jamming signal; rather how jamming might be minimized.

Return to Honorverse