Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

How old are Honorverse fans?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.

Your Age Group:

12 & under
No votes
Teens
4%
20s
18%
30s
22%
40s
21%
50s
19%
60s
13%
70s
4%
eighty and above
0%

Total votes : 273

Re: How old are Honerverse fans?
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Seawolf509 wrote:Old enough to know that it doesn't matter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only does it not matter, but if the person does not state an age, how does one discern it here? I cannot. Any poster could be any age - I suppose even if they have stated a definite one - and that says something lovely about humans, imo.

As you say, it does not matter :-)
Post by pokermind   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Northstar wrote:
Seawolf509 wrote:Old enough to know that it doesn't matter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only does it not matter, but if the person does not state an age, how does one discern it here? I cannot. Any poster could be any age - I suppose even if they have stated a definite one - and that says something lovely about humans, imo.

As you say, it does not matter :-)

In a way to us it doesn't matter other than curiosity. In that it might indicate the age of dedicated readers it might be good information to David Weber. Generally we don't know the age, sex, race or, religious beliefs of other posters unless they tell us. Any of this data could be polled if you are curious about your fellow fans. Our anonymity allows us to treat each other more equally without ageism, sexism, racism or, religious disputes rearing their often ugly heads. They usually do not appear until we go to Free Range or Politics where they can and do ;)

As with all polls we can only trust our fellows to be honest. As you anomalously answer in the poll there is no reason to lie. And as with any poll the larger the number of respondents the better the data, my personal hope is 5% of potential respondents or 115 respondents, most of our registered members rarely visit so this will give an idea of the age of the most interested fans on this site.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

I didn't mean anyone would lie in a poll, what point? I meant I suppose someone could say in a post that s/he was 29 when s/he is actually 92 and only wishes s/he was still 29 :D

And I agree completely one of the lovely things about this forum - I mean the whole website not just the Honorverse part - people really are generally quite fair, friendly and egalitarian. It is a pleasant and intellectually fun place to hang out. May we all ever keep it so. :)
Post by LarryWill729   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

LarryWill729
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I wonder if Bean has any data on the customers who buy these books?
I think any reasonable publishing house would want Demographic data on an Authors sales in order to bargain for the next book.

RFC? Comments? Hints?
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

LarryWill729 wrote:I think any reasonable publishing house would want Demographic data on an Authors sales in order to bargain for the next book.

Everything I've heard is that publishing doesn't have any of the kind of market research that you'd expect would exist for a multi-billion dollar market. Most publishers have no idea why some books they push hard crash and burn and other succeed, or who is buying them. There certainly is reputed to be a whole lot more political BS involved in who gets published and promoted than you'd expect from a huge business that is supposed to have a purpose of making money for the investors.

Amazon has lots and lots of details. And they don't share them with anyone. I'm told that Amazon is still working on trying to figure out how to predict success with a given book they have epublish, but at least they do have data.
Post by rdt   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:13 pm

rdt
Commodore

Well, let's see. As I recall, they didn't have numbers back then when I was born, but I do remember it was a few years later that the ice melted.

My wife and I are thinking about having our wedding bands carbon-dated so we can figure out what anniversary to celebrate.
Post by KNick   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:45 pm

KNick
Admiral

rdt wrote:Well, let's see. As I recall, they didn't have numbers back then when I was born, but I do remember it was a few years later that the ice melted.

My wife and I are thinking about having our wedding bands carbon-dated so we can figure out what anniversary to celebrate.

Just as long as you celebrate your next anniversary with as much love as you celebrated your first, does it really matter?
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Northstar   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

KNick wrote:
rdt wrote:Well, let's see. As I recall, they didn't have numbers back then when I was born, but I do remember it was a few years later that the ice melted.

Just as long as you celebrate your next anniversary with as much love as you celebrated your first, does it really matter?

Actually, things have gotten better over the decades for us. Was great then, is wonderful now, 43 years later... and yeah, it's fun to rack up the score :-)

But, rdt, how do you carbon date gold ? :D Or do you still have wedding cake in the freezer you can carbon date? :lol:
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Northstar wrote:
KNick wrote:

Actually, things have gotten better over the decades for us. Was great then, is wonderful now, 43 years later... and yeah, it's fun to rack up the score :-)

But, rdt, how do you carbon date gold ? :D Or do you still have wedding cake in the freezer you can carbon date? :lol:

We still have some slices of my uncles and parents wedding cakes hidden in a freezer somewhere. however, the icing has gone so hard a diamond drill bit would be needed for sampling.... :D
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by KNick   » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

KNick
Admiral

It seems that every time I check, the average age of the respondents goes down. That is a good thing as it means there will be a market for works such as David's for a long time to come.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Honorverse