Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

SLN, and MAlign playing catch up with Manticoran superiority

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN, and MAlign playing catch up with Manticoran superio
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:28 am

penny
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:A microSD card today is smaller and has more storage than what Sci-Fi writers from the 1990s thought was possible! I don't think they're going to get any smaller because they become too tiny to handle. Our fingers aren't getting more dextrous than they are.

But you can subject people to searches to figure out if they are smuggling data out. This is not new.

A bigger difficulty would be for people like Honor who have cybernetics in their body, meaning they must have some data storage of some kind. What are they going to do, reset the firmware to defaults?

Though unless you're dealing with active spies -- in which case you've far more serious problems -- the workers may get sloppy but in general they should be in favor of keeping the base's location secret. (After all, they're the ones who'll get blown up if the wrong people find it)

So you shouldn't need to search them for any storage devices. It'd be more about making rules that make inadvertent leakage of data that might disclose the location less likely.

Things like restricting devices with cameras, limiting the observation areas, or applying censorship to messages home would go a long way. (Could someone smuggle in a camera or smuggle out uncensored information? Probably. But if you make the workers aware of why you're doing it that should sharply limit their interest in bypassing those security measures)

It could simply be a matter of -- and exemplify -- curiosity killed the cat. It doesn't have to be a spy, but rather someone wanting to know where he is in the universe. For his own peace of mind, with no intentions of spilling the beans to anyone.

BTW, that observation deck could have been utilized from the moment prior to even leaving the MBS and all along the route.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:38 am

penny
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
penny wrote:Also, even the lowest technician can look out of the windows on any observation deck and note the constellation. Their latest i-phone can capture images of the constellation as well. Someone might be able to recognize it because of who-knows-what.

Warships don't have portholes or observation decks. They'd be weaknesses in the hull.

But other personnel transports might, so may the stations and yards where the ships are being constructed. Whether you can see any useful constellations from inside the Refuge System's dust cloud is up for discussion. Given that medium- and long-range observations failed to see an inhabitable planet there at all, it's not impossible, but planets are much more difficult to see than stars.

As for captured images, I'm sure the same OpSec procedures that keep the navigation databases clean would apply to any other data storage carried by anyone. You don't bring any un-approved mass storage device with you and you're arrested if you try to leave with something that wasn't issued to you. What was issued to you is subject to censorship, the same way that sending emails aboard a warship would be.

You can't remove someone's knowledge (in the HV), but you can prevent them from taking high-fidelity data with them. The most that anyone not in the Top Brass should know is that:
a) it takes about a week to travel from the far terminus of the wormhole
b) the near terminus of the wormhole is a month's travel from Haven
c) the system is surrounded by a dust cloud
d) it's a binary star system with the bigger partner being a bright A-class star
e) there are five asteroid belts
f) the system has a native human population descended from a lost colony ship

No one but navigators and Top Brass need to know that the far terminus is the Calvin System.

The problem is that the native population is being educated and is working on the yards, along with the temporary expats, and those will know their history. They kept the Dark Fall saga alive for nearly 1500 years, and they must all know now that they are the descendants of the Calvin's Hope colony ship. It'll be impossible to contain that datum.

And that's not even considering Pritchart's promise to the native Sanctuarians that they deserve to be public in the Galaxy and have the freedom of travel, same as any other citizen of the Republic of Haven.

And that Haven has a moral responsibility to do. Anything else would be considered inhumane, irresponsible, selfish and self-serving. Something I mentioned several times in the past. And that should read 'as any other citizen of the galaxy.'

Anything less reminds me of ... of ... hmmm :idea: Darius and Galton! Aka, the MAlign.

Post by penny   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:02 am

penny
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Daryl wrote:I recently put a new "hard drive" in my PC. A 4TB device that looks like a credit card. Sure you can restrict what people take out on phones and tablets, but an equivalent to our SD cards or such? A fingernail sized bit of thin film?

A microSD card today is smaller and has more storage than what Sci-Fi writers from the 1990s thought was possible! I don't think they're going to get any smaller because they become too tiny to handle. Our fingers aren't getting more dextrous than they are.

But you can subject people to searches to figure out if they are smuggling data out. This is not new.

A bigger difficulty would be for people like Honor who have cybernetics in their body, meaning they must have some data storage of some kind. What are they going to do, reset the firmware to defaults?

A clear example of where the MA's tech is superior to the GA's. MAlign crew have a self destruct mechanism which bypasses all firmware. LOL

I wanted to point out that Manticore's tech base isn't exactly superior to the MA's. It is simply different. It is like comparing apples and oranges. There are discontinuities in Manticore's "superiority". And in many areas the shoe is on the other foot.

At any rate, I cannot imagine the average person in the HV not being, at the very least, an armchair or hobby astronomer. And if that person has a photographic memory, all bets are off. Cybernetics, in which case -- though your notion is spot on and brilliant -- would not be needed. And photographic memories should be a lot more common in the HV.

But of course, the "half cyborgs" would probably not be allowed on the observation deck.

Post by penny   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:10 am

penny
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
Theemile wrote:I saw the Navy blurb about the Electromagnetic drive - posted yesterday, April 1st. I think you mileage may vary with that article.

Yeah.

That is a tech that kind of exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohy ... mic_drive; but it's actually not silent (apparently it causes bubbles to form in the water - which are noisy when they collapse) and uses a stupidly large amount of power for relatively low thrust.
But I suspect that the article posted yesterday is just crossing up that actual drive with the movie version of Red October's caterpillar drive, for a quasi-plausible prank story about the USN.

The bubbles are called cavitation. The bane of Red October.

Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:37 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No one but navigators and Top Brass need to know that the far terminus is the Calvin System.

The problem is that the native population is being educated and is working on the yards, along with the temporary expats, and those will know their history. They kept the Dark Fall saga alive for nearly 1500 years, and they must all know now that they are the descendants of the Calvin's Hope colony ship. It'll be impossible to contain that datum.

And that's not even considering Pritchart's promise to the native Sanctuarians that they deserve to be public in the Galaxy and have the freedom of travel, same as any other citizen of the Republic of Haven.

penny wrote:And that Haven has a moral responsibility to do. Anything else would be considered inhumane, irresponsible, selfish and self-serving. Something I mentioned several times in the past. And that should read 'as any other citizen of the galaxy.'

Anything less reminds me of ... of ... hmmm :idea: Darius and Galton! Aka, the MAlign.

No, the minimum standard is correctly stated as "same as any other citizen of the Republic of Haven". We have no idea if there is some "universal bill of rights", however that is unlikely. We do know that Sanctuary is under the control of Haven and therefore it is a uniform application of Haven's laws that is requested, after the military emergency is over.
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:46 am

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:No one but navigators and Top Brass need to know that the far terminus is the Calvin System.

penny wrote:And that Haven has a moral responsibility to do. Anything else would be considered inhumane, irresponsible, selfish and self-serving. Something I mentioned several times in the past. And that should read 'as any other citizen of the galaxy.'

No, the minimum standard is correctly stated as "same as any other citizen of the Republic of Haven". We have no idea if there is some "universal bill of rights", however that is unlikely. We do know that Sanctuary is under the control of Haven and therefore it is a uniform application of Haven's laws that is requested, after the military emergency is over.

I respectfully disagree.

The minimum, indivisible, inalienable standard should encompass the moral rights of any human being. Apart from, and superceding, said human being's location in the galaxy, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, race, creed, national origin or government.

That truth encompasses the overarching truth of why America and its allies deputize itself as the world's moral police to stamp out evil and evil's barbaric symptoms around the globe. And why the victims of said evil seek out and count on America's moral compass. For example, the current discussion regarding war criminals. (See: Sally goes Rogue thread.)

To be clear, the minimum should be what any human being on God's green Earth and universe is due. From Pharaoh's slaves to America's slaves and their brethren. Apart from any government.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:41 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:To be clear, the minimum should be what any human being on God's green Earth and universe is due. From Pharaoh's slaves to America's slaves and their brethren. Apart from any government.

It is significant that you have not enumerated those rights. But one was listed in the post that drew you response; so let's just consider the "freedom to travel", which you seem to imply is a fundamental right.

People everywhere (either individually or collectively) have the right to build walls, post and enforce "no trespassing" areas and create borders. So the "freedom" to travel means the legal right to wander wherever the ability to access has not been legally restricted. This "freedom" only exists in a negative sense, in that it is allowed where not prohibited and even then might be limited.

For example: the National Park System in the US has rules and regulations that can limit access.
National parks have specific regulations in place to ensure the safety of visitors, protect the environment, and maintain the natural beauty of these pristine areas.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:28 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:At any rate, I cannot imagine the average person in the HV not being, at the very least, an armchair or hobby astronomer. And if that person has a photographic memory, all bets are off. Cybernetics, in which case -- though your notion is spot on and brilliant -- would not be needed. And photographic memories should be a lot more common in the HV.

I'd expect that the population of astronomy-enthousiasts to be roughly the same ratio as what it is for us today. Ask an auto or yard worker if they have interest in astronomy and you're going to be hard-pressed to find someone. It would be similar to asking them if they have a passing knowledge of aviation: just because they take planes to go somewhere does not mean they know the difference between indicated air speed, true air speed, and ground speed.

Photographic memory does not mean literally photographic. In general, someone's memory is not going to be enough to re-draw the night sky of an unfamiliar location and the human eyesight is not good enough to tell the relative luminosity of all but the brightest stars. For example, you can readily tell the strongest dots in the night sky are Venus, Sirius, Jupiter, Arcturus, Vega. But can you tell just by eyeballing it whether Alpha Centauri is brighter than Beta Orionis (Rigel)? They aren't next to each other in the sky.

There may be people who actually can remember the relative positions of stars in sufficient detail, but those are likely to be savants off-the-median for the population and thus would not be generic yard workers. They may be a part of the R&D team, though. On the other hand, they're also far more likely to understand the importance of the information.

Education goes a long way to preventing this, but you're still going to run into people being people. Someone is going to take a picture for their girlfriend back home with this asterism in the background that they think she'll find lovely and think "it's just a picture, what could go wrong?"
Post by penny   » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:00 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:To be clear, the minimum should be what any human being on God's green Earth and universe is due. From Pharaoh's slaves to America's slaves and their brethren. Apart from any government.

It is significant that you have not enumerated those rights. But one was listed in the post that drew you response; so let's just consider the "freedom to travel", which you seem to imply is a fundamental right.

People everywhere (either individually or collectively) have the right to build walls, post and enforce "no trespassing" areas and create borders. So the "freedom" to travel means the legal right to wander wherever the ability to access has not been legally restricted. This "freedom" only exists in a negative sense, in that it is allowed where not prohibited and even then might be limited.

The freedom to travel does not imply freedom to trespass.

How can one enumerate an infinite set of rights. Rights that might not yet exist. Sometimes rights do not exist until evil tramples all over it, and only then is it recognized by those of us with a moral conscience who assuredly will go on to say "that is not acceptable." The number of rights that a human has is only limited by the number of inconceivable atrocious acts evil can commit against it. Do you think there is a limit to evil?

How can that which is inconceivable be enumerated?

tlb wrote:or example: the National Park System in the US has rules and regulations that can limit access.
National parks have specific regulations in place to ensure the safety of visitors, protect the environment, and maintain the natural beauty of these pristine areas.

Again, freedom to roam does not imply freedom to trespass. And it shouldn't.

Related news: https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yello ... index.html

Post by markusschaber   » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant Commander

tlb wrote:

For example: the National Park System in the US has rules and regulations that can limit access.

The "freedom of travel" actually has a different meaning, with two aspects. Back then in the cold war, most "eastern" states hat strict travel restrictions for their citizens out to foreign countries. So your home country must grant you permission to leave. Such permission was much easier to get for travels to other members of the Warshaw treaties, and a lot harder or even impossible to western countries. The idea was to prevent dissidents from fleeing the country, that's also why they built a wall in Berlin (whose official purpose was to protect eastern Berlin against fascists...). Nowadays, this is rather rare for most countries, although exceptions still exist (e. G. North Korea). A limited aspect of this can be found for example for people applying for Asylum in Germany. They must not leave the district they've been assigned to, so they cannot even travel freely within the state or country they're, until their application has been granted. No visits to Munich or Berlin for the guys here in our city, for example.

The other side of freedom of travel is the freedom to enter another country: Within the european union and the other "Schengen treaty" members, I can travel freely just with a simple ID. When traveling e. G. to Kenya, I need to apply for a Visa an need a Passport. When traveling to the US, I also need to apply for a Visa, with a much more strict check, and the US also invented the requirement of digitally stored fingerprint in passports, which has been followed by most other countries by now.

This is what I unerstood to be defined as "freedom of travel", not the freedom to wander around into everyones property, with no restricted areas.

Return to Honorverse