Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Uncompromising Honor sequel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Uncompromising Honor sequel
Post by Michae   » Sat May 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

As the title says I've been listening to honor Harrington audio-books for a while,and just finished number 14. Is that the end of the series for now,or is there more? As I'd love to know what happens to Mesa when Manticore figures out where they went,apart from them having the entire fleet dropped on them given what they did in Beowulf.
Re: Uncompromising Honor sequel
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 25, 2024 12:51 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Michae wrote:As the title says I've been listening to honor Harrington audio-books for a while,and just finished number 14. Is that the end of the series for now,or is there more? As I'd love to know what happens to Mesa when Manticore figures out where they went,apart from them having the entire fleet dropped on them given what they did in Beowulf.

There are two more after that: the Crown of Slaves sequel called To End in Fire is the currently latest in in-universe chronological order. After that, we've got Toll of Honor, but it's set way back in history.
Post by Caraquena   » Mon May 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Caraquena
Ensign

Michae wrote:As the title says I've been listening to honor Harrington audio-books for a while,and just finished number 14. Is that the end of the series for now,or is there more? As I'd love to know what happens to Mesa when Manticore figures out where they went,apart from them having the entire fleet dropped on them given what they did in Beowulf.

To End in Fire is the follow up chronologically to Uncompromising Honor but it's the 4th in the Crown of Slaves sub-series (after Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts) and you would miss a lot of context in TEiF if you don't read those first. It looks like the sequel to TEiF will be next chronological book, the most recent "future plans" post on Facebook by the author says "Marisa Wolf and I are currently ramping up to complete the Crown of Slaves/Alignment story arc following Eric’s death. As things stand now, the first novel in that project will probably launch the next generation of Harringtons story arc, as well."

The latest book is Toll of Honor but this is not a continuation, the author's note at the end says this is the first of a planned "Extended Honorverse" of books that expand on the existing story. Toll of Honor takes place following the Hancock Station battle, the first half of the book is a rehash of Field of Dishonor, the rest of the book is sundry non-Honor battles. I found it pretty thin gruel myself but YMMV.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue May 28, 2024 12:48 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

IMHO, there won't be a sequel to _Uncompromising Honor_. IIRC, Weber stated it was the last mainline Honorverse story (i.e., those with Honor Harrington as the protagonist). There should be sequels to _To End in Fire_ since _Crown of Slaves_ et al dealt more closely with the Manpower and the Mesa Alignment (as in not the Mesa Engagement).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Captain Golding   » Wed May 29, 2024 3:41 am

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Any news on the Shadows branch.

i.e. What happens to Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people going forwards. These represent the next generation of RMN people to fill in between Honor and Honor's children. To End in Fire was disapointing.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu May 30, 2024 8:25 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Any news on the Shadows branch.

i.e. What happens to Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people going forwards. These represent the next generation of RMN people to fill in between Honor and Honor's children. To End in Fire was disapointing.

Same here. We've invested in those characters and I'd like to see more of them, not swept aside for Honor's children.
Post by Caraquena   » Thu May 30, 2024 1:03 pm

Caraquena
Ensign

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Captain Golding wrote:Any news on the Shadows branch i.e. what happens to Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people going forwards. These represent the next generation of RMN people to fill in between Honor and Honor's children. To End in Fire was disappointing.

Same here. We've invested in those characters and I'd like to see more of them, not swept aside for Honor's children.

The Shadows books have been Weber only and per Facebook his current solo priorities are first Safehold followed by War God along with the sundry collaborations he also owes words for. Given that he has created yet another distraction with this "Extended Honorverse" and chose to write Toll of Honor for it rather than a new Shadows book, who know when we'll see those characters again: I'm hoping they get pulled into this TEiF sequel, I'd prefer to see the multiple branches get merged back into one anyway.
Post by tlb   » Thu May 30, 2024 6:51 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Any news on the Shadows branch i.e. what happens to Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people going forwards. These represent the next generation of RMN people to fill in between Honor and Honor's children. To End in Fire was disappointing.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Same here. We've invested in those characters and I'd like to see more of them, not swept aside for Honor's children.

Caraquena wrote:The Shadows books have been Weber only and per Facebook his current solo priorities are first Safehold followed by War God along with the sundry collaborations he also owes words for. Given that he has created yet another distraction with this "Extended Honorverse" and chose to write Toll of Honor for it rather than a new Shadows book, who know when we'll see those characters again: I'm hoping they get pulled into this TEiF sequel, I'd prefer to see the multiple branches get merged back into one anyway.

What if, as Honor's children are starting out, their officers are Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people?

Obviously there will have to be a lot about Cachet, Zilwicki and Harahap with his cat. Also the Solarian Ghosthunters will have much to do.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu May 30, 2024 10:15 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:What if, as Honor's children are starting out, their officers are Abigail, Helen and the Other Hexapuma people?

Obviously there will have to be a lot about Cachet, Zilwicki and Harahap with his cat. Also the Solarian Ghosthunters will have much to do.

They're babies right now. Raoul won't be a middy for another 22 years. That would put Abigail Hearns at 27 years of Navy career, making about the age Honor had when we first met her in OBS (around 40 T-years of age) and, considering she's not being held back by Young's cronies, she'd likely be a Captain (j.g. if not Senior) in the GSN.

My problem is that if we do jump in time to when Raoul and Katherine are old enough to have sensible opinions, not to mention have a meaningful professional contribution, we'll miss Helen, Paolo, and Abigail's career. Terekhov and Oversteegen will be old flag officers; Mike Henke and Lester Tourville will likely be retired.

I really want to see more of Admiral Gold Peak commanding Tenth Fleet interact with Admiral Tourville commanding Second, and kicking ass.
Post by tlb   » Thu May 30, 2024 11:27 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:They're babies right now. Raoul won't be a middy for another 22 years. That would put Abigail Hearns at 27 years of Navy career, making about the age Honor had when we first met her in OBS (around 40 T-years of age) and, considering she's not being held back by Young's cronies, she'd likely be a Captain (j.g. if not Senior) in the GSN.

My problem is that if we do jump in time to when Raoul and Katherine are old enough to have sensible opinions, not to mention have a meaningful professional contribution, we'll miss Helen, Paolo, and Abigail's career. Terekhov and Oversteegen will be old flag officers; Mike Henke and Lester Tourville will likely be retired.

I really want to see more of Admiral Gold Peak commanding Tenth Fleet interact with Admiral Tourville commanding Second, and kicking ass.

Honor was born on Oct 1, 1859 PD and was a midshipman in 1877 PD, which is 17 Manticoran years (?). Raoul and Katherine were babies at the end of At All Costs, which is 1921 PD (about 2 years before Uncompromising Honor). So it is about 15 years from UH before they go to Academy. But the next book did not promise more than an introduction to them, so they might not yet be in the Academy at the end of that book.

The next book has to have oodles of detail about the findings at Galton and by the Solarian Ghosthunters etc. So we are sure to see more of everyone. But will there be much of any "kicking ass" before information is found to force Darius to begin throwing its weight around?

Return to Honorverse