Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

ACTI Predictions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
ACTI Predictions
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

No spoilers, please. Just guesses on what you think might happen.

FYI, central portion of the blurb:
But Manticore has now become a target. The Star Kingdom isn't certain who is attacking it, or why, or what its mysterious foe can possibly want, but Queen Elizabeth I knows she has to find out. And she knows that whatever some of her subjects think, Manticore does need a navy. And it needs allies, friends like the dynamic Republic of Haven and the Andermani Empire. It needs their trade . . . and to learn from their more experienced and powerful navies.

It is the job of officers like Travis Long and his wife, Lisa, to acquire that experience. Of utterly inexperienced diplomats like Travis's brother Gavin, Earl Winterfall, to build those alliances.

They have been sent to the powerful Andermani Empire to do just that, for the Imperial Navy is one of the most potent and experienced fleets in the galaxy. But the Andermani have problems of their own. Their Emperor's death is the trigger for insurrection, and now that powerful and experienced navy is locked in civil war.

Take with a grain of salt: sometimes these are produced early because the covers need to be printed before the text is finished!
Last edited by ThinksMarkedly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: ACTI Predictions
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Prediction: the instability in the Andermani Empire has nothing to do with Axelrod and the Junction

I don't see the link, nor why Axelrod would destabilise the Empire. I mean, I could speculate that since the Volsungs are no longer an option, they'd try to get an Andermani General or Admiral to conquer Manticore, but I don't think so.

I'm guessing that the instability we hear about in the blurb is internal. Some character (maybe Winterfall) did say in a previous book that Empires didn't last after the founding figure died, as the heirs fought for control, with the prototypical case being Charlemagne.

If I'm right, then this Plot A does not advance the discovery of the wormhole. But it might happen in a Plot B not mentioned in the blurb.

However, it does advance the RMN.

Prediction: the Andermani will be very thankful of Manticore help

By the end of the book, the new Emperor, Gustav Anderman II, will be indebted to the SKM for its help in the strife (don't know if it'll reach the level of Civil War) and will find out a way to repay. One easy way is a mutual defence treaty, which will make Axelrod's attempt to use a patsy polity like Barca much more difficult.

More specifically, I predict the Andermani will help with RMN ship design. I've been wondering for a few years how the 180-200,000-tonne battlecruisers that everyone seems to have suddenly get reclassified as heavy cruisers and the RMN launched HMS Nike BC-01 by 1590. There's still nearly half a century from the end of the last book until that launch, but it's a large disparity. So my guess is that the Andermani will help downscale a battleship to a new ship type that the Manticorans will debut: the battlecruiser.
Last edited by ThinksMarkedly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Prediction: Baron Winterfall gets a cabinet-level post by the end of the book

Possibly even Prime Minister?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:24 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

The blub certainly makes it sound like the initial plan is for Travis and Lisa to serve with the IAN as loan officers, though whether aboard ship or possible in something closer to their academy and yards I couldn't say.

I'll speculate that the "civil war" the blub claims the IAN is now locked in is mostly going to be a cold war -- different ships and commands getting wooed to give their support to different claimants to the throne but little to no significant naval combat. More in the nature of a palace succession crisis than an outright war.

Still, it tries to make it sound like Manticore somehow has a significant impact on all this -- though that might be a simple as convincing some hothead IAN captain not to escalate things to outright combat.

(I just suspect that if the IAN had had a major naval civil war that it would have gotten mentioned somewhere in the books -- so I really hope one doesn't spring out of thin air)
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A Call to Insurrection

The title, above, is for those who are left in the dark. Recall when I stated that the Andermani is one of those beehive governments in the Pawn to Queen 7 ... Checkmate? thread. Remove the "Queen" and it falls apart. The symbolism of the Emperor carries too much power. The Andermani government is lost without him. It is a chicken without its head. Internal strife is to be expected. What is more, you can't just bestow the title of Emperor on just anyone. He is like a God.

I imagine the heated exchanges and arguments on planet is as bad as the arguments and debate in the Eridani Edict of the most Dismissive Kind thread when I laid out a scenario of the entire line of secession being removed save Honor.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I imagine the heated exchanges and arguments on planet is as bad as the arguments and debate in the Eridani Edict of the most Dismissive Kind thread when I laid out a scenario of the entire line of secession being removed save Honor.

Honor is not in the line of succession.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I imagine the heated exchanges and arguments on planet is as bad as the arguments and debate in the Eridani Edict of the most Dismissive Kind thread when I laid out a scenario of the entire line of secession being removed save Honor.

Honor is not in the line of succession.

Forgive me as I didn't mean to imply that she is. That point is argued vehemently in that thread.

But, she would be in line by happenstance, not by design. Please see thread.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:20 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The title, above, is for those who are left in the dark. Recall when I stated that the Andermani is one of those beehive governments in the Pawn to Queen 7 ... Checkmate? thread. Remove the "Queen" and it falls apart. The symbolism of the Emperor carries too much power. The Andermani government is lost without him. It is a chicken without its head. Internal strife is to be expected. What is more, you can't just bestow the title of Emperor on just anyone. He is like a God.

Well, unlike in that thread, here we're talking about the first emperor. There was no established, long-standing tradition of passing the crown to the heir because it was the first time. As noted by the critics, empires usually fall apart after the death of their founding emperor. And another came to mind: Alexander the Great. Also Gengis Khan.

But unlike that thread too, here we have no evidence of foul play. Gustav Anderman was going to die at some time or another. He may have planned what his succession would be and this may greatly mitigate the issues we're going to seen.

PS: do Andermani emperors wear crowns? What's their symbol? In Grayson, it's the Sword.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The title, above, is for those who are left in the dark. Recall when I stated that the Andermani is one of those beehive governments in the Pawn to Queen 7 ... Checkmate? thread. Remove the "Queen" and it falls apart. The symbolism of the Emperor carries too much power. The Andermani government is lost without him. It is a chicken without its head. Internal strife is to be expected. What is more, you can't just bestow the title of Emperor on just anyone. He is like a God.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Well, unlike in that thread, here we're talking about the first emperor. There was no established, long-standing tradition of passing the crown to the heir because it was the first time. As noted by the critics, empires usually fall apart after the death of their founding emperor. And another came to mind: Alexander the Great. Also Gengis Khan.

But unlike that thread too, here we have no evidence of foul play. Gustav Anderman was going to die at some time or another. He may have planned what his succession would be and this may greatly mitigate the issues we're going to seen.

PS: do Andermani emperors wear crowns? What's their symbol? In Grayson, it's the Sword.

The timing is all wrong for the Andermani succession fight that I think would be really interesting; the one mentioned in chapter 10 of Honor Among Enemies:
Then there'd been Gustav VI. His subjects had been willing to put up with him even when he started talking to his prize rose bush, but things had gotten a bit out of hand when he tried to make it chancellor. That had been too much even for the Andermani, and he'd been quietly deposed. Removing him had created problems of its own, since the Imperial Charter specified that the Crown passed through the male line. Gustav VI had been a childless only son, but he'd had half a dozen male cousins, and a nasty dynastic war had been in the making until the oldest of his three sisters put an end to the foolishness by embracing a legal fiction. She'd had herself declared a man by the Imperial Council, taken the crown (and control of the IAN Home Fleet) as "Gustav VII," and invited any of her male relatives who felt so inclined to take his best shot. None had accepted her challenge, and she'd gone on to hold the throne as "His Imperial Majesty, Gustav VII" for another thirty-eight T-years. She'd also turned out to be one of the best rulers the Empire had ever had, which was saying quite a lot.
It is not clear whether "crown" mentioned here is real or symbolic. Also mentioned is that there an Imperial Charter specifying succession (created before or after the point of this story?).

Genghis Khan's empire did not immediately fall apart: from the online Britannica;
The third son of Genghis, Ögödei succeeded his father in 1229. He was the first ruler of the Mongols to call himself khagan (“great khan”); his father used only the title khan. He made his headquarters on the Orhon River in central Mongolia, where he built the capital city of Karakorum on the site laid out by his father. Like his father, he carried out several simultaneous campaigns, using generals in the field who acted independently but who were subject to his orders. The orders were transmitted by a messenger system that covered almost all of Asia.

In the East, Ögödei launched an attack on the Jin (Juchen) dynasty of North China. The Song dynasty in South China wished to regain territory lost to the Jin and therefore allied itself with the Mongols, helping Ögödei take the Jin capital at Kaifeng in 1234.

Ögödei’s Chinese adviser, Yelü Chucai, convinced him to reverse previous Mongol policy. Instead of leveling North China and all its inhabitants in the usual Mongol manner, he preserved the country in order to utilize the wealth and skills of its inhabitants. That decision not only saved Chinese culture in North China but it also gave the Mongols access to the Chinese weapons that later enabled them to conquer the technologically superior Song. Knowledge of governmental techniques gained from the people of North China made it possible for the Mongols to be rulers as well as conquerors of China.

In the western part of his empire, Ögödei sent Mongol armies into Iran, Iraq, and Russia. With the sacking of Kiev in 1240, the Mongols finally crushed Russian resistance. In the next year Mongol forces defeated a joint army of German and Polish troops and then marched through Hungary and reached the Adriatic Sea. Thereafter for more than 200 years Russia remained tributary to the Mongols of the Golden Horde.

Ögödei died during a drinking bout, and his troops called off their intended invasion of western Europe. His widow, Töregene, ruled as regent until 1246 when she handed over the throne to Güyük, her eldest son by Ögödei. Ögödei is described in contemporary sources as a stern, energetic man given to drinking and lasciviousness.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:03 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ACTI just showed up at my door, courtesy of B&N

Return to Honorverse