Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Strike Fighter:doomed to disappear or is future for them?

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Strike Fighter:doomed to disappear or is future for them?
Post by SYED   » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

With modern tech, fighters are being relegated to planetary defence and action within the desai limit. With anti-fighter fighter and better defences they cant keep up in the battle.

The arduan idea to use remote controlled fighters was cool. I wonder using arduan tech could they replicate it for the other races. If they created Quantum entanglement, that would be a secure way to remote control fighters, other communications can be jammed by their tech.
Re: Strike Fighter:doomed to disappear or is future for them
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

SYED wrote:With modern tech, fighters are being relegated to planetary defence and action within the desai limit. With anti-fighter fighter and better defences they cant keep up in the battle.

The arduan idea to use remote controlled fighters was cool. I wonder using arduan tech could they replicate it for the other races. If they created Quantum entanglement, that would be a secure way to remote control fighters, other communications can be jammed by their tech.

I can't help but feel that advances in beam weaponry, particularly the primary packs, ought to let the strike fighter remain relevant, especially if some drive upgrades came along to let them continue to massively outperform capital ships outside the desai limit. It just doesn't make sense to me that a weapon that cannot be stopped by armor and causes local shield failure disappears from the tactical picture, especially when paired with a platform that is cheap enough to be a viable weapons delivery system despite heavy attritional losses. Not to mention the fact that fighters are small enough to be produced assembly line style and even small ships have to be individually built.
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Re: Strike Fighter:doomed to disappear or is future for them
Post by coldsteel   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Undercover Fat Kid wrote:
SYED wrote:With modern tech, fighters are being relegated to planetary defence and action within the desai limit. With anti-fighter fighter and better defences they cant keep up in the battle.

I can't help but feel that advances in beam weaponry, particularly the primary packs, ought to let the strike fighter remain relevant, especially if some drive upgrades came along to let them continue to massively outperform capital ships outside the desai limit. It just doesn't make sense to me that a weapon that cannot be stopped by armor and causes local shield failure disappears from the tactical picture, especially when paired with a platform that is cheap enough to be a viable weapons delivery system despite heavy attritional losses. Not to mention the fact that fighters are small enough to be produced assembly line style and even small ships have to be individually built.

Fighters as attrition and planetary defenses will work just fine. Unfortunately, since the tech in Exodus/Extremis has not (and probably never will be) been given game terms, you'll never see it in games of Starfire, which means that the fighter stays the queen of battle. I say this as an unabashed member of the Fighter Mafia. I should be a Whisker-Twister, I like fighters so much.

Return to Starfire