Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

I have all the books, but...

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
I have all the books, but...
Post by queencaro   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

queencaro
Midshipman

Fellow Weber fans:

I have purchased and kept virtually every book David has written, co-written, or edited; mostly the hardback versions as I can never wait long enough for the paperback versions to come out! Only the very latest editions (since 2010) do I have in E-reads.

My problem is that my eyes are aging faster than the rest of my body, and it has gotten to the point where I really NEED the adjustable type-size on my Kindle E-reader. Re-reading all the favorites I have in bound form has become increasingly difficult for me.

Is there any sort of arrangement or program in which I can download books I have already purchased as E-reads? I know Baen has a "free books for disabled readers" program, but I am not truly disabled--I work and make a decent salary. All I need/want is to be able to enjoy my already-purchased volumes in a more easily-readable form.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!
Re: I have all the books, but...
Post by Duckk   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

That's an archive of all the CDs that have been released with the hardcovers to date. They have formats which you might be able to use.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by queencaro   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:44 pm

queencaro
Midshipman

Duckk wrote:http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

That's an archive of all the CDs that have been released with the hardcovers to date. They have formats which you might be able to use.

Thanks, Duckk...I guess from there what I can do is download to a CD, upload the CD to my Amazon document files, and then download from there to my Kindle? I may have to get my niece to help with all that, lol.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Don't necessarily have to download the entire CD, although you can. Clicking on one of the CDs leads to the index page for that CD, then you can choose from the books on that CD. For example:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-M ... ofHonorCD/

Then if you wanted to read, say, On Basilisk Station, you'd click on that link to get to that book's index page:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-M ... /index.htm

And from there you can download the Mobipocket formatted ebook which Kindle can use.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by solbergb   » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 pm

solbergb
Admiral

Most of the audiobooks are done pretty well, if things get worse with eyesight over time.
Post by fleadermouse   » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

fleadermouse
Lieutenant Commander

The Baen CD's are awesome like the original poster I have almost all of the books in hardback and that is how I prefer to read them. But when I travel overseas it sure is nice to able to put a series or to on my ipad or notebook. I even printed and bound a very nice copy of field of dishonor after my first copy got destroyed and I could not find a hardback anywhere (It costs WAY more to have a book bound than to by a new book by the way) the multiple formats are really nice.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

agreed. whenever I get a baen book with a e book cd, i make sure to copy it to my computer as fast as possible, for the purposes of backup, insurance, and convenience. it is much easier to take a laptop on a plane than 4 books, which is how many i might go through on a long flight. and with a laptop, i can listen to music at the same time, watch a movie, or maybe, just maybe, do some work that i've been putting off for a while........ =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its not paranoia if its justified.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by doorgunnerjgs   » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 pm

doorgunnerjgs
Midshipman

I have all the books on my Kindle keyboard. Once you download to your computer, connect your Kindle with the USB Cable and copy the files to your Kindle. On my keyboard one, I keep them in folders by author and title. On the Kindle Fire, the folders keep the device from recognizing the books, so I copy only the .mobi files.
Post by KarenH   » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:03 pm

KarenH
Ensign

Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts? You don't need to be old to have cataracts. I had both eyes done by the age of 42. Just a pup according to my eye doctor.

Ask yourself:

Do I have glare problems? Do headlights, street lights, and traffic signals make big halos or have lines of light shooting out from them? Can I see print on glossy magazines when I have direct light on the page? I couldn't.

Do I think it is darker in the house? Am I complaining about lights being dim?

Are colors paler? Does everything look pastel with actual dark stuff popping out like a Monet painting?
Post by rdt   » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

rdt
Commodore

If you have a Kindle Fire, be sure to get a USB 2.0 A (or later) connector to Mini B connector cable. That is, a cable with one end connectable to your computer's USB port and the other end (Mini B) connectable to the Kindle Fire's port.

One would not expect Amazon to supply such a cable and, surprise, they don't. You can get such a cable from monoprice.com at a good price and good quality. I have used it to copy all the books from my computer to the documents folder of the Fire--select, copy, paste.
Good Luck from an AMD victim who understands.

Return to David's Dimension