Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Sequel news!

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Thirdbase   » Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

dwatts13 wrote:I won't be reading this one, thank you. I like my science fiction to be SCIENCE fiction. I don't care how far you have to stretch the edges to make it fit, but give a science explanation. Having a twilight dawn experience to finish (up to that point) an outstanding book about cultural disconnects and asymetric warfare really just ruined the whole experience. I did NOT find the paperback cover to be enlightening enough and because of my fondness for Mr Weber's science fiction - I didn't read the back anyway until in my confusion at the appearance of a fantasy character I did a quick check. I have no problem with reading fantasy and fantasy characters, but let's keep the genres separate. There were (in the scope of the book) at least a half dozen or more possible science fiction routes that could have been taken to finish this book, but why Mr Weber would imagine that a reader that has identified with the struggles and accomplishments of multiple military characters to defend humanity would want a "vampire?" to suddenly be mankinds salvation from the aliens is just beyond me. As others have written the biggest disappointment is the "cute" way that he purposely sprang the "surprise" ending on the readers without backstory or development aka Mr Shyamalan. In this I am showing my regard for Mr Weber as I don't believe that he would use such a ploy to finish a story he was "stuck" on just to satisfy a deadline with a publisher.
In the end though the story was great until Vlad the Impaler becomes the solution and then it stunk, overall ruined the whole storyline and guaranteed itself on my do not read list for further developments.

I had a bigger problem with the, "and then Dracula showed up and defeated all the aliens." You can substitute what ever you want for Dracula, Wesley Crusher, God, Frankenstein, giant Japanese robots, Iron Man, Godzilla... That was the problem with the book.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by grendel_one   » Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 pm

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thirdbase wrote:I had a bigger problem with the, "and then Dracula showed up and defeated all the aliens." You can substitute what ever you want for Dracula, Wesley Crusher, God, Frankenstein, giant Japanese robots, Iron Man, Godzilla... That was the problem with the book.

Well, I can safely say that won't be a problem with the second book
Post by Thirdbase   » Thu May 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

grendel_one wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I had a bigger problem with the, "and then Dracula showed up and defeated all the aliens." You can substitute what ever you want for Dracula, Wesley Crusher, God, Frankenstein, giant Japanese robots, Iron Man, Godzilla... That was the problem with the book.

Well, I can safely say that won't be a problem with the second book

And if out of the blue Godzilla shows up and eats Dracula?
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu May 17, 2012 6:52 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

I wasn't going to share but the wrong critter.

It obviously must be Underdog. With a long and detailed description (in keeping with David Weber orders a pizza) on how Underdog eats vampires for midrats.<Grin>

Enjoy,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by grendel_one   » Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 pm

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thirdbase wrote:And if out of the blue Godzilla shows up and eats Dracula?

It makes sense that you would need fearsome creatures to oppose the vampires, otherwise they're too overpowered.

On the other hand, if the vampires start getting whipped and the WEREWOLVES come to their rescue, THEN I'll protest

I knew before reading the book that it was about vampires, so it never bothered me . . .
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

Y'kno', somehow I lack much sympathy for all the bitching and moaning about ol' Vlad suddenly appearing at the end of the novel OotD to save the day. As ISTR there was much publicity in a number of forums for well over a year prior to OotD coming out as a full length novel that DW was writing a short story about how the supernatural creatures of the night would join the rest of humanity when Earth was threatened by invaders from space. After all, Earth was their world, as well! Additionally, even before the short story version of OotD appeared in the Warriors anthology (Mar 2010), it was announced that DW would also be expanding the short to a full length novel for TOR.

I admit I was somewhat disappointed with the longer novel, as I wanted the OotD novel to go beyond the end of the short (ala the Excalibre Alternative, but more after the short ..), but I also enjoyed how he gave us hints and clues to foreshadow the eventual ending. (Yes, I also hope he will give us a sequel to EA ... but I'm a half-full type.)

If you don't want to read the sequel, then don't. As Friar Bob alluded, TOR thinks it will sell, so it will get written.

FWIW, I don't like everything he has written - the court-martial, it's results, and how he killed off Paul Tankersley in FoD were, to this retired swabbie, grave injustices to naval officers, naval jurisprudence and lastly, standard security practices and operations on/in military facilities. I understand that the PT character was born with a red shirt (or as a red herring) so that HH would eventually get involved with WH, but I rarely reread FoD - and skip those passages. Because of FoD, I never wanted WH to connect with HH, nor to have him adopted by Sam, but it's HW's saga to write. (Maybe, somewhere, somehow, WH will redeem himself ...)

DW can write what he wants to write, and he has also shown that he is willing to take chances. The Honorverse or Safehold stories seem to be his best sellers, but he still works on the Bahzell series, and plans additional Dahak, Hell's Gate, Prince Roger and Terran Empire stories. Who says that he can't mix science with the supernatural? We all can think of authors who have had great success (and probably authors who shouldn't have tried ...). If this type of story excites him, more power to him.
Last edited by Brom O'Berin on Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Edit deleted May 18th, 2012. Yesterday seems like my day to misunderstand and mis-communicate everything. Bad day in T2Mville.

Enjoy all,
T2M

Must be my day to upset people through miscommunications. <shrug>
Last edited by thinkstoomuch on Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

T2M,

Knew you were joking. Was not responding to you in particular, just replying to last posting in order to comment on all the I hate the ending posts that continue to pop up in every thread of this forum. Guess I should deleted your text. My apologies to you - and I've edited my post.

For the I hate OotD'ers, it's been 18 months. We know, don't you think it's time to move forward?

thinkstoomuch wrote:
Brom O'Berin wrote:...snip...

If you couldn't tell from the huge type <grin> it was a joke.

Remember: I was the one up topic who admitted that it took me a while to buy the book for several reasons. I now own a signed dated copy bought through this website to maximize the authors profits from it.

Oh and I just bought the audio book as well.

T2M

Must be my day to upset people through miscommunications. <shrug>
Post by kbus888   » Sat May 19, 2012 12:57 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi guys

I WILL buy the second book of this series BECAUSE it is so different from the other Weber authored series I have read.

The ending of this book came as a complete surprise to me, and I like surprises !!

Lead on RFC, lead on !!

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Bulldogger   » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:05 am

Bulldogger
Ensign

This is the forum for ‘whining’ about the last book. If you can’t speculate and complain in these forums then why have them?

As far as my opinion, the last book was awesome, up to the ending. I heard about it before I read it, I just did not like how it was done.

In this next book I would like to see more of the remnants of earth rebuilding and creating their own version of warships while adding defensive elements to the planet… like anti-kinetic bombardment devices. While Vlad conquers the puppies, earth gets ready to defend itself and establish its own colonies. Perhaps humans meet other developing races and planet and form a federation of planets (sorry for the Star Trek terminology - but it fits too well as a descriptive noun). I don’t think they should conquer all the others, just be ready to kick their butts if they ever come trying to enslave the earth again.

On another note, I really like books that mix sci-fi with fantasy. Just keep it realistic and believable.

Return to Out of the Dark