Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

War Maid's Choice Spoiler... Isvaria's Axes

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: War Maid's Choice Spoiler... Isvaria's Axes
Post by rafael   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

Her Axes might have throwing axes like Charles Martel or maybe a tomahawk. Either of those might work for Leena.
Post by RetiredMilLoggie   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 pm

RetiredMilLoggie
Lieutenant Commander

Macharius wrote:I read this as Leanna receiving some kind of "spiritual reinforcement" (for lack of a better description), since something more than just knowledge seems to have been given here. It's like she was marked by Isvaria - also the goddess of memory and completion, not just death! - yet still not "called" to be a Champion.

I don't think Champion of any diety is her role, but then again I was wrong about her and Bahzell ever coming together in the first place so discretion may be the better part of valor in making that kind of prediction!

Being a champion is a full time role, but there are other roles Leanna could fulfill where direct combat is only a periodic, noncontinuous hazard. In Wind Rider's Oath, Leanna became a War Maid but look at the vast number of civil jobs the older War Maids filled: administrators, farmers, schoolmarms, stable hands, smiths, cooks, and mothers. Leanna, in part because of her high birth, could become a War Maid ambassador to the Sothoii King's Court. What does a mother need to be to let her child's father constantly ride to conflict and possible death? To successfully raise her child/children in the absence of immediate family. . . .to support and feed herself and the kids for extended periods, not knowing when or if death will come calling? For it is not only the warrior who serves, but their families also.
Post by Macharius   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Macharius
Ensign

RetiredMilLoggie wrote:Leanna, in part because of her high birth, could become a War Maid ambassador to the Sothoii King's Court.

She would be the obvious choice for that position, and the ending of the book sure makes it look like that's what's going to happen.
Post by kalenath   » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 am

kalenath
Midshipman

Ambassador would work, I think. She definitely has the temperment and training for it. Just don't get on her bad side...

As for axes... There are SO many kinds of small one hand axes. The Tomahawk and Frankish axe are two of the best known, both of which can be used from horseback as throwing weapons. They are also fast and fairly light.

Now as to actual REACH from horseback... From what I understand, the idea on horseback is to generate as much momentum as possible. (I have never been a horseman, so I may be wrong. I was always about cutting DOWN cavalrymen with pike, halberd or naginata, not BEING one...) Leeana would be able to generate a lot of momentum from her courser's back, so the only major consideration would be how far she could reach.

Any kind of one handed weapon would work. Sword, axe, mace, hammer... Come to think of it, what if she wielded TWO small one handed axes at the same time...? Would YOU want to face that even if she was not on her courser?
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

kalenath wrote:Any kind of one handed weapon would work. Sword, axe, mace, hammer... Come to think of it, what if she wielded TWO small one handed axes at the same time...? Would YOU want to face that even if she was not on her courser?

Why one-handed?

Assuming that Leeana is charging into combat atop her courser, she doesn't use reins. That frees up both hands for use in combat, as mentioned to Bahzell by another Wind Rider. So, she could use twin swords, she could use a polearm (using the long shaft to generate additional leverage/power) or she could use a single-handed weapon and the fighting straps to hang off one side and deliver bladed death to her enemies.

As for her when she isn't on her courser, well, War Maids do not have mounted forces, so she's afoot in those battles. And we know that she's good with her twin swords. Why change what works?

Anyone want to bet that Kaeritha trained Leeana not just in dual wielding but also Quarterstaff combat?

PS. Anyone know what happened to Kaeritha?
My preferred theory is that it was Kaeritha who travelled to the Broken Bone and Wild Wash Hradani to give them the update on the Rage. It would explain her absence from Warmaid's Choice.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by kalenath   » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:38 am

kalenath
Midshipman

Well, I was thinking about a print I saw once of a guy riding a horse at full gallop while swinging two maces, clearing everything away from him. One hand axes and maces have similar hefts from my own personal experioence.

It was art, not a photo or actual real life, but it DID look exceptionally cool. As did the samurai print next to it that had the guy wielding a naginata while standing in his stirrups.

Quarterstaff would work mounted. Kerry showed that in 'The War God's Own' when those idiot Sharna-ites decided to try and ambush her and Bahzell.

I DO want to see more Kerry. She is one of my favorite characters.

Oh and do you REALLY think Gayrfressa will LET Leanna fight alone or afoot if she has ANY choice in the matter... EVER again?
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

The key issue is reach. Recall that Leeana will sit 8 feet off the ground. Her short swords won't reach closer than 5 feet off the ground without her grabbing the pommel and leaning to one side. Even then her shortsword may just barely reach the ground.

The problem this represents is how to deal with enemies on Geyrfressa's flanks comming in low to hamstring or gut her. This is exactly what the warmaids did in their battle. I doubt that a courser's limbs can strike an opponent directly to their sides. They may be able to move sideways and stomp down, but not strike to the side like a human arm could. This makes their flans their most vulnerable area.

A windrider needs to have a weapon with reach to protect their windbrother/sister against such attacks. Leeana's shortword's are poor weapons to do this. Geyrfressa pretty much said so when the two of them discussed Leeana's training.

Michael Everett wrote:
kalenath wrote:Any kind of one handed weapon would work. Sword, axe, mace, hammer... Come to think of it, what if she wielded TWO small one handed axes at the same time...? Would YOU want to face that even if she was not on her courser?

Why one-handed?

Assuming that Leeana is charging into combat atop her courser, she doesn't use reins. That frees up both hands for use in combat, as mentioned to Bahzell by another Wind Rider. So, she could use twin swords, she could use a polearm (using the long shaft to generate additional leverage/power) or she could use a single-handed weapon and the fighting straps to hang off one side and deliver bladed death to her enemies.

As for her when she isn't on her courser, well, War Maids do not have mounted forces, so she's afoot in those battles. And we know that she's good with her twin swords. Why change what works?

Anyone want to bet that Kaeritha trained Leeana not just in dual wielding but also Quarterstaff combat?

PS. Anyone know what happened to Kaeritha?
My preferred theory is that it was Kaeritha who travelled to the Broken Bone and Wild Wash Hradani to give them the update on the Rage. It would explain her absence from Warmaid's Choice.
Post by valcour   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:16 pm

valcour
Midshipman

I had an inclination after Isvaria showed up after Lillianara and Tomanak married Leeana and Bahzel. That was that Leeana could become the first "Multi-champion" - a champion of more than one God. However, the other threads speculating about Leeana and Bahzel's child have convinced me that I was off base.
Post by David T. Shaw   » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm

David T. Shaw
Midshipman

I love the idea of the Periwinkle being some sort of artifact for allowing Leeana to speak to the dead (or maybe just one particular dead champion).
However, I see a problem - Vaijon's first act of transending death wasn't with Leeana - or with her anywhere about.
He helped channel energy to Bahzell shortly after his death - far, far away from the Wind Plains and Leeana.

Perhaps Tomanak and Isvaria have made some sort of deal in regards to Bahzell and Vaijon in particular, or with His Champanions in general?
Just wondering, has any mention of ghosts been made in the series? I can't remember any serious discussion off hand, but it's been at least a year since I read the first three books.

If I'm right that the Periwinkle doesn't expain Vaijon's ghost, does it do anything?
And what is the significance of Isvaria recognizing Leeana and Gayrfressa as 'daughters'? Is it like calling someone a child of God - just a recognition of their loyalty to the light? Or perhaps something along the lines of being of the 'elect' because they will always be loyal to the light? Or is it some special status or relationship to the God (besides being Her Champion)?

As already mentioned, the scene with Isvarian must foreshadow something.
Post by Jay6722   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Jay6722
Commander

Welcome to the Forums David.

David T. Shaw wrote:I love the idea of the Periwinkle being some sort of artifact for allowing Leeana to speak to the dead (or maybe just one particular dead champion).
However, I see a problem - Vaijon's first act of transending death wasn't with Leeana - or with her anywhere about.
He helped channel energy to Bahzell shortly after his death - far, far away from the Wind Plains and Leeana.

Perhaps Tomanak and Isvaria have made some sort of deal in regards to Bahzell and Vaijon in particular, or with His Champanions in general?
Just wondering, has any mention of ghosts been made in the series? I can't remember any serious discussion off hand, but it's been at least a year since I read the first three books.

If I'm right that the Periwinkle doesn't expain Vaijon's ghost, does it do anything?
And what is the significance of Isvaria recognizing Leeana and Gayrfressa as 'daughters'? Is it like calling someone a child of God - just a recognition of their loyalty to the light? Or perhaps something along the lines of being of the 'elect' because they will always be loyal to the light? Or is it some special status or relationship to the God (besides being Her Champion)?

As already mentioned, the scene with Isvarian must foreshadow something.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Return to War God