Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

The tree and your house

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
Re: The tree and your house
Post by wastedfly   » Sun May 29, 2011 2:23 am

wastedfly
Commodore

Good. A 3 foot + diameter fir fell on our road 2 winters ago. I properly cut it 38 feet. Tagged it and no sooner had I run home to get the tractor to put put said log on said trailer than SOME BLEEPING IGNORANT DUMB BLEEP had already cut it up into firewood. Was a whopping 12 foot section left too small to take to the mill. Erm, I gave him a piece of my mind.

I burned the most expensive firewood ever seen. At least I got the "joy" of not having to "buy" firewood for the winter as the IGNORANT DUMB SCHMUCK actually gave me the wood. Several of us on our road share the log money, but this new dumb ignoramous gah.

namelessfly wrote:I'm not stupid. In my parlance, "bucking" means cutting a tree into logs of marketable length, usually 37 ft. Skidding logs that size can be a real nightmare.

Most of the heavy logging Ive doe was in the 1990s at the market peak created by the Japan export demand, most of my logs got stored at the bottom of Tokyo bay and they are probably floating them now.

wastedfly wrote:You bucked up a 6" fir? You do realize that you just turned a $10,000 dollar log into $1000 bucks of firewood right? Yikes!

Just in case you have any more you wish to turn into firewood, let me know, I will buy said tree from you and chop/haul it myself to the mill and make a tidy penny doing so!

namelessfly wrote:Actually I have a 460 in my stable that is my preferred chainsaw. I bought the 880 particularly for felling and bucking some very large (up to 6 ft dia) Doug fir, but I always switched to the 460 for limbing. I've got a couple 290s with bow bars for harvesting Christmas trees.
Post by moonkist1   » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:33 pm

moonkist1
Site Admin

Jay6722 wrote:Gray, I have actually seen the pictures what I meant by my question was I wanted to know what caused it to fall and damage the Weber household.

Gray wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Sharon in you May thoughts you say a tree damaged your family's home. I want to know how it damaged your home.
I'm gald that no one was hurt and that you have somewhere to stay while your house is being repaired.

http://davidweber.net/pictures/index/tree

Hi, Guys!

I figured I would go ahead and comment on this one, since Sharon is away in Florida for the shuttle launch.

The Webers live on a heavily wooded lot, and one of the trees near their home developed a hollow spot in the trunk, about 10 feet above the ground, on the side that faces away from the house. The top of the tree was still green and lush, but the hollow rotted to the point it could no longer support the tree. Then, when those storms went through the South about 10 weeks ago, the tree came down.

The good news is that no one was hurt, and that everything that had been broken was replaceable or fixable. Next week they are going to be able to return home and things will be able to get back to some semblance of normalcy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Lewis Carroll
Post by Jay6722   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Jay6722
Commander

Thanks moonkist1 for some more details on why the tree fell on the Weber household.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am

namelessfly

I still say that this tree is a twig.

I actually had suburban neighbors bitch about my removing a stand of severely overgrown old growth fir trees. We are talking 3-4 diameter trees on 10 foot centers, slumping tops and rotting roots. One tree that was leaning towards the new houses had an oval trunk that was five feet on the short axis and seven on the long axis. I spent an entire afternoon pounding a couple dozen felling wedges, stacking them four high, to fell it away from the new houses. As I was bucking it to marketable length, I discovered a fissure in the trunk that was three feet wide and twenty feet long. If I'd left that tree until a storm took it down, it would have destroyed half a dozen houses. Did they thank me for possibly saving their lives? He'll no! They even bitched about my burning piles of limbs and stumps! What kind of Nebish doesn't enjoy seeing flames forty foot tall?
Post by Donnachaidh   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Even I, a fairly liberal fellow, enjoys a good fire. Maybe that has something to do with being male and a former Boy Scout though...

namelessfly wrote:I still say that this tree is a twig.

I actually had suburban neighbors bitch about my removing a stand of severely overgrown old growth fir trees. We are talking 3-4 diameter trees on 10 foot centers, slumping tops and rotting roots. One tree that was leaning towards the new houses had an oval trunk that was five feet on the short axis and seven on the long axis. I spent an entire afternoon pounding a couple dozen felling wedges, stacking them four high, to fell it away from the new houses. As I was bucking it to marketable length, I discovered a fissure in the trunk that was three feet wide and twenty feet long. If I'd left that tree until a storm took it down, it would have destroyed half a dozen houses. Did they thank me for possibly saving their lives? He'll no! They even bitched about my burning piles of limbs and stumps! What kind of Nebish doesn't enjoy seeing flames forty foot tall?
Post by robert132   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:26 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

They even bitched about my burning piles of limbs and stumps! What kind of Nebish doesn't enjoy seeing flames forty foot tall?

People who have no idea the kind of damage a tall and heavy tree can do when one comes down on their home.

When Hurricane Irene came through here not quite two weeks ago it brought down a number of older trees, killing a couple of people in North Carolina and a small boy inside an apartment in Newport News VA. Some of those trees were up to 200 years old and massive.

A guy who lives about 4 blocks away had two of his trees come down, one on the house and the other on his wife's car turning it into a Ford pancake. The trunks remained intact but the winds uprooted them in this case.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm

namelessfly

That is exactly right. We had a mildly severe wind storm soon after that took down one of the neighbor's trees. Fortunately, they were less than a foot in diameter and did only minor damage to adjacent homes. They sued of course. He then cleared all the trees that could hit adjacent houses and they bitched about that.

robert132 wrote:
They even bitched about my burning piles of limbs and stumps! What kind of Nebish doesn't enjoy seeing flames forty foot tall?

People who have no idea the kind of damage a tall and heavy tree can do when one comes down on their home.

When Hurricane Irene came through here not quite two weeks ago it brought down a number of older trees, killing a couple of people in North Carolina and a small boy inside an apartment in Newport News VA. Some of those trees were up to 200 years old and massive.

A guy who lives about 4 blocks away had two of his trees come down, one on the house and the other on his wife's car turning it into a Ford pancake. The trunks remained intact but the winds uprooted them in this case.

Return to Sharon's Corner