Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Question about Sharonan Firearms

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Question about Sharonan Firearms
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:05 am

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

I am confused about the nature of Sharonan firearms as described. It was said that the guns fired lead pellets instead of bullets. Am I missing something because I have never heard of a rifle, with the exception of gas-powered BB guns, that fired metal pellets. Design quirk of the books or something else?
Re: Question about Sharonan Firearms
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:00 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:I am confused about the nature of Sharonan firearms as described. It was said that the guns fired lead pellets instead of bullets. Am I missing something because I have never heard of a rifle, with the exception of gas-powered BB guns, that fired metal pellets. Design quirk of the books or something else?

It might be just flavor. Both words are derivatives of words that mean "ball".
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:06 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Mr.Privacy2 wrote:I am confused about the nature of Sharonan firearms as described. It was said that the guns fired lead pellets instead of bullets. Am I missing something because I have never heard of a rifle, with the exception of gas-powered BB guns, that fired metal pellets. Design quirk of the books or something else?

It might be just flavor. Both words are derivatives of words that mean "ball".

In the "Empire of Man " series. the projectiles are referred to as "beads"/
Post by ThisName1   » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:26 am

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

They also mention a "scissor action" rifle. I think their talking about a lever action.
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:01 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

The reason I brought this point up was that during a certain scene that implied that all was not right within the Multiverse, it seemed to imply that Sharonan firearms had something about them that made them work even though they shouldn't work as far as conventional firearms go.
Post by Randallw   » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 pm

Randallw
Ensign

Sharonan science is based on the scientific method, whereas Arcanan magic works the opposite. The rifles the Arcanans captured work , though not as well, when the sharonan captives use them because they have the scientific method in mind whereas they don’t work for Arcanans with the wrong mindset.
Post by ThisName1   » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am

ThisName1

Randallw wrote:Sharonan science is based on the scientific method, whereas Arcanan magic works the opposite. The rifles the Arcanans captured work , though not as well, when the sharonan captives use them because they have the scientific method in mind whereas they don’t work for Arcanans with the wrong mindset.

It's still killing me that I don't know what on earth gadriel discovered while testing the guns.
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:47 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

It's still killing me that I don't know what on earth gadriel discovered while testing the guns.

Agreed. I still don't know if its something weird that Gadrial found, something weird with the Sharonans themselves, or something with the Multiverse.
Post by ThisName1   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:15 pm

ThisName1

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:
Agreed. I still don't know if its something weird that Gadrial found, something weird with the Sharonans themselves, or something with the Multiverse.

Whatever it is, its gonna make the mythalans crazy and I'm gonna love that.
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:42 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

Whatever it is, its gonna make the mythalans crazy and I'm gonna love that.

Be careful what you wish for, for all we know Gadrial just justified Sharonan genocide, in front of multiple high-ranking politicians and military commanders no less. That's definitely going to spice things up.

Return to Multiverse