Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Thermobaric bombs

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Thermobaric bombs
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 14802
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Thermobaric bombs

Did the Russians use them against the Ukraine? Does this constitute a war crime?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Arol   » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:36 am

Arol
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

cthia wrote: Thermobaric bombs

Did the Russians use them against the Ukraine? Does this constitute a war crime?

Apparently yes, they have been used in the Ukraine War by Russia!
But then it’s nothing new, they have also used them in both Chechnya during their two wars there, and in Syria.
As to their legality, the jury’s still out!

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-thermoba ... 45182.html
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by munroburton   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:05 am

munroburton
Admiral

Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
Location: Scotland

Arol wrote:
cthia wrote: Thermobaric bombs

Did the Russians use them against the Ukraine? Does this constitute a war crime?

Apparently yes, they have been used in the Ukraine War by Russia!
But then it’s nothing new, they have also used them in both Chechnya during their two wars there, and in Syria.
As to their legality, the jury’s still out!

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-thermoba ... 45182.html


The United States has used them in Vietnam and more recently in Afghanistan to destroy mountain caves where militants were hiding.


Awkward.

As horrific as they are, I'd say they're "legitimate" weapons. There is no persistently damaging effects from their use in the way there would be from a nuclear or chemical weapons release.

Any war criminality already exists due to the the murdering, raping and torturing of civilian populations as attempted genocide/ethnic cleansing, the looting, the kidnapping of children, execution of prisoners, wanton property destruction and so forth.

PS: https://theconversation.com/its-ukraine ... why-178748
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 14802
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

It is their alter ego that makes them inhumane.

Vacuum bomb. Thermobaric weapons are considered to be inhumane. The inhumanity of the weapon is better understood by its other name, the vacuum bomb. These things suck the air out of areas. Imagine being a small child, infant or frail adult, who is just out of the blast zone but experiences the suffocating loss of air that is quickly rushing out, right on the heels of just having the wind knocked out of them. Torture is inhumane.

If I am not mistaken, a form of these kinds of weapons were once considered for fire fighting. A device that sucks the oxygen out of an area thus killing the fire.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Arol   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:48 pm

Arol
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

cthia wrote:It is their alter ego that makes them inhumane.

Vacuum bomb. Thermobaric weapons are considered to be inhumane. The inhumanity of the weapon is better understood by its other name, the vacuum bomb. These things suck the air out of areas. Imagine being a small child, infant or frail adult, who is just out of the blast zone but experiences the suffocating loss of air that is quickly rushing out, right on the heels of just having the wind knocked out of them. Torture is inhumane.

If I am not mistaken, a form of these kinds of weapons were once considered for fire fighting. A device that sucks the oxygen out of an area thus killing the fire.


You sure picked the correct word: inhuman!
Also in the “vacuum” aspect, as the fluid in the bombs instantly combines with the oxygen in the air to create the vacuum.
That means that there is no safety to be found; even underground unless you are in an airtight room!
There’s reported to be around 1000 non-combatants hiding out in the tunnels under the Mariupol Steel Mill!!!
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Daryl   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:08 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

I remember that the US was using them in Afghanistan to eliminate cave hideouts,by causing asphyxiation.
Two wrongs don't cause a right, bad then, bad now.
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Relax   » Tue May 03, 2022 3:03 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3037
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Arol wrote:
You sure picked the correct word: inhuman!

War is VERY human. Nothing inhuman about it.

Only reason Chemical weapons are banned is that it was proven they do not actually help END a war and just makes a few permanently disabled.

This version of bomb, kills in a slightly different manner who die via asphyxiation/burning instead of dying via blood loss and sepsis.

D
E
A
D

I
S

D
E
A
D
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue May 03, 2022 3:08 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2591
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Relax wrote:D
E
A
D

I
S

D
E
A
D


The issue many people have is the length of the journey, especially the final stage before meeting the Grim Reaper.
It is the fortunate who do not realize that the last step is the one they are taking.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Top
Re: Thermobaric bombs
Post by Arol   » Tue May 03, 2022 4:34 pm

Arol
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Relax wrote:
Arol wrote:
You sure picked the correct word: inhuman!


War is VERY human. Nothing inhuman about it...

I beg to disagree, in that with incendiary and ordinary fragmentation devices there is at least a chance for non-combatants to seek refuge in shelters.
With the thermobaric that option is reduced; unless the shelter is airtight.
That alone makes it in my opinion “inhuman”!
https://hindustannewshub.com/world-news ... be-banned/
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...