Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

The October New Release...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The October New Release...
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

From the blurb on the new book with Eric Flint, To End in Fire, slated for an October 5th release.

THE CROWN OF SLAVES SAGA CONTINUES. ADVENTURE AND INTRIGUE IN THE STAR KINGDOM FROM NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHORS DAVID WEBER AND ERIC FLINT.

The Solarian League lies in defeat, crushed by the Grand Alliance of Manticore, Haven, and Grayson.

Obedient to the Alliance's surrender demands, the League is writing a new Constitution, to prevent the reemergence of out-of-control bureaucrats, like the "Mandarins" who led it to disaster. Frontier Security has been disbanded, the Outworlds' have regained control of their own economic destinies, and multiple star systems will soon secede from the League entirely.

Yet the League is — and will remain — the largest, most economically powerful human star nation in existence, and despite the overwhelming evidence that their unelected political leaders were the driving force behind the war, many League citizens deeply resent the fashion in which their star nation — the Solarian League — has been humbled. And those who most resent the Grand Alliance continue to blame Manticore for the nuclear bombardment of the planet Mesa after its surrender. They refuse to accept that the League — and the members of the Grand Alliance — could have been manipulated by a deeply hidden interstellar conspiracy called the Mesan Alignment. The Alignment is only an invention of the Grand Alliance, no more than a mask, a cover, for its own horrific Eridani Violations.

Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

Not all Solarians feel that way, but even some of those who accept that there was an interstellar conspiracy cherish doubts about its origins. But it is still out there, and now defeated Solarians and agents of the victorious Alliance must join forces to find it. Even if they don't believe in it, it believes in them.

They must find it and identify it, to prove to revanchist Solarians that there was a conspiracy.

And they must find it and destroy it to end its evil once and for all.

So what do we think?
Re: The October New Release...
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:50 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10728&p=302595#p302595

Only difference is the book title
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

And when can we get the E-Arc?? or snippets?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:03 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:And when can we get the E-Arc?? or snippets?

E-Arc? Three months before the release month is the usual, thus July. As for snippets, if they don't start before April 1st, we might not see any at all.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:06 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:E-Arc? Three months before the release month is the usual, thus July. As for snippets, if they don't start before April 1st, we might not see any at all.

And if they start on April 1st?
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:10 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I can say with 99.999% certainty that the letter "e" will make an appearance in the snippets.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to coherently extrapolate from that point...
Mentor of Arisia I ain't...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Fireflair   » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:41 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I didn't see it in the interview thread, which I have not read.

I am only hopeful that the book does not do another song and dance like Mission of Honor did, where the blurb had almost no connection with the story which was told.
Post by Louis R   » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

From what Himself & Ursus had to say in their online conversation, the blurb won't be terribly far off.

Fireflair wrote:I didn't see it in the interview thread, which I have not read.

I am only hopeful that the book does not do another song and dance like Mission of Honor did, where the blurb had almost no connection with the story which was told.
Post by phillies   » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:48 pm

phillies
Admiral

The glorious people of the Solarian League will not believe the Manticorian claims of having found the conspiracy. The League lost because it was betrayed by its elite leaders, including the cowards and icompetents of the Invincible Solarian League Navy. If at the battle of Ganymede the League had ahd only two more battlecruisers adn two more battleships it would have won. So writes Herr Gruberschickel.

Yes, this is a setup potentially for a World War 2 rewrite.

Fireflair wrote:From the blurb on the new book with Eric Flint, To End in Fire, slated for an October 5th release.

THE CROWN OF SLAVES SAGA CONTINUES. ADVENTURE AND INTRIGUE IN THE STAR KINGDOM FROM NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHORS DAVID WEBER AND ERIC FLINT.

The Solarian League lies in defeat, crushed by the Grand Alliance of Manticore, Haven, and Grayson.

Obedient to the Alliance's surrender demands, the League is writing a new Constitution, to prevent the reemergence of out-of-control bureaucrats, like the "Mandarins" who led it to disaster. Frontier Security has been disbanded, the Outworlds' have regained control of their own economic destinies, and multiple star systems will soon secede from the League entirely.

Yet the League is — and will remain — the largest, most economically powerful human star nation in existence, and despite the overwhelming evidence that their unelected political leaders were the driving force behind the war, many League citizens deeply resent the fashion in which their star nation — the Solarian League — has been humbled. And those who most resent the Grand Alliance continue to blame Manticore for the nuclear bombardment of the planet Mesa after its surrender. They refuse to accept that the League — and the members of the Grand Alliance — could have been manipulated by a deeply hidden interstellar conspiracy called the Mesan Alignment. The Alignment is only an invention of the Grand Alliance, no more than a mask, a cover, for its own horrific Eridani Violations.

Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

Not all Solarians feel that way, but even some of those who accept that there was an interstellar conspiracy cherish doubts about its origins. But it is still out there, and now defeated Solarians and agents of the victorious Alliance must join forces to find it. Even if they don't believe in it, it believes in them.

They must find it and identify it, to prove to revanchist Solarians that there was a conspiracy.

And they must find it and destroy it to end its evil once and for all.

So what do we think?
Post by ywing14   » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:10 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to the new book!

Return to Honorverse