Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 83 guests

Wormhole Assault: MA Style

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Wormhole Assault: MA Style
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Momentarily putting aside our disagreement on the effectiveness of MA stealth, you are probably right about the denseness of sensors in and around the junction. But. Would those sensors necessarily be trained on those negative vectors? For that matter, would missiles necessarily be trained on those vectors?
I'm quite confident that forts exist full spheres around the entire junction, not just on the hemisphere that faces the Manticore-A system. They need that coverage to fend off attack through normal space that would come from that direction. (The fact that the RZ doesn't extend out there actually makes the "Back" hemisphere of the Junction the safest area for an attacker to emerge from hyper -- so defenses pointed that way would be a major focus. (Remember, the Junction defenses are mostly about defending it from hostile ships approaching it -- protecting the system from hostile ships coming through it is secondary (in that it takes much less firepower to accomplish)

cthia wrote:Of course I could be wrong, but I disagree with that. All positive vectors heading into the junction through the Origin will result in destruction if they are ships not properly configured, no? It should be the same for missiles. On the flip side, all negative vectors (ships or their missiles) should pass right thru the Origin, unaffected.
Even if the grav turbulence doesn't stretch back into your "negative vectors" it definitely beings at the "origin". So while we don't know if a missile can get close to the "origin" from the back it definitely can't can't pass through the origin because at the origin it would encounter the full effect of the grav turbulence and be torn apart.

It might be able to get close enough to fire off a laser head - but that's no different a threat that doing so from the sides of the cylindrical destructive grav zone.

cthia wrote:For that matter, would GA ships on positive vectors even be able to detect LDs hiding behind the junction thru the Origin? I don't see any difference between using the planet or the junction itself as cover. Effective cover that intuitively would seem to work only for the enemy who is situated "behind" the junction.
The grav effects might blind at least the grav sensors on ships that are actually sailing up the grav lane to that Junction terminus - but as I said there will be forts around the full sphere of the Junction - so several will have a clean line of sight to the backside any terminus; and they're the actual defenses, not the ships making transit (so it doesn't really matter whether or not a ship can see through the terminus it's approaching)

Is the effect of the gravitational turbulence emanating from the entry and exit lanes similarly directed? Think waves on the ocean when a ship can travel with or against. Even traveling WITH the rapids is fraught with turbulence and danger, but traveling against the rapids can be immediately fatal. At any rate, is the turbulence encountered by a ship in the transit lane in direct opposition to the ship?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Is the effect of the gravitational turbulence emanating from the entry and exit lanes similarly directed? Think waves on the ocean when a ship can travel with or against. Even traveling WITH the rapids is fraught with turbulence and danger, but traveling against the rapids can be immediately fatal. At any rate, is the turbulence encountered by a ship in the transit lane in direct opposition to the ship?

RFC's never said (that I can recall) if the grav turbulence there is directional - much less how it might be oriented.

From the background details in either SVW or MTH we do know that grav waves are directional. (And in earlier eras ships actually had to tack when sailing 'up wind'. But as sail technology improved that became unnecessary and ships can accelerate just as quickly directly 'up wind' as directly 'down wind'.)
But even there we don't know if the grav turbulence within the grav wave follows the 'flow' of the wave. And we certainly don't know if that would map over to enterance/exit lanes.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Is the effect of the gravitational turbulence emanating from the entry and exit lanes similarly directed? Think waves on the ocean when a ship can travel with or against. Even traveling WITH the rapids is fraught with turbulence and danger, but traveling against the rapids can be immediately fatal. At any rate, is the turbulence encountered by a ship in the transit lane in direct opposition to the ship?

RFC's never said (that I can recall) if the grav turbulence there is directional - much less how it might be oriented.

From the background details in either SVW or MTH we do know that grav waves are directional. (And in earlier eras ships actually had to tack when sailing 'up wind'. But as sail technology improved that became unnecessary and ships can accelerate just as quickly directly 'up wind' as directly 'down wind'.)
But even there we don't know if the grav turbulence within the grav wave follows the 'flow' of the wave. And we certainly don't know if that would map over to enterance/exit lanes.

If there are steady currents, It would suggest that they flow directly into (for the transit lane) and out of (for the Emergence lane) the wormhole. Ships in the lanes are under no power and if there were strong cross currents, it would make staying in the lane difficult, and reverse currents would force you either away from the terminus (for the entry point), or suck you back in (for the emergence point). Instead, the experience is described as a "steady" glide at a low speed. I don't know how that is simultaneously possible with turbulent grav forces... but that is what has been described to date.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by munroburton   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:32 am

munroburton
Admiral

How do you block a wormhole?

Post by Fox2!   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:How do you block a wormhole ]

(Image of container ship standing athwart the Suez Canal and shouting "Stop!" omitted)

I think you have two choices when making a wormhole transit: you either succeed, or you die. Or you are sufficiently far off of the transit vector that you are not significantly affected by the gravitational turmoil that is the N- space manifestation of a wormhole, and aren't actually making a transit. I believe in OBS, as Honor is making the transit to Baslisk in Fearless, the text mentions how narrow the transit lane is.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:16 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:[
I think you have two choices when making a wormhole transit: you either succeed, or you die. Or you are sufficiently far off of the transit vector that you are not significantly affected by the gravitational turmoil that is the N- space manifestation of a wormhole, and aren't actually making a transit. I believe in OBS, as Honor is making the transit to Baslisk in Fearless, the text mentions how narrow the transit lane is.

I think wormhole transits in the HV are like the Suez canal 150 years ago: the ships were MUCH smaller. Even if one ran aground, others could go around it and sending tugs to dislodge it wouldn't be too difficult either. Same with the HV: a ship that lost its nodes on the entryway to the transit lane (but not in the lane itself, where lack of sails means you die), that ship could indeed block transit for half an hour or so until some tugs moved it out of the way, but probably wouldn't block at all since there's enough room to go around it. Both might be dangerous.

Ships would need to get much, much bigger to block transit and that is, at present knowledge of physics, impractical.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:17 am

munroburton
Admiral

It's a meta-joke... serious replies not necessary. :lol:

https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Evergreen_Films
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:20 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:It's a meta-joke... serious replies not necessary. :lol:

https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Evergreen_Films

So Evergreen blocked forward progress.
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Theemile wrote:If there are steady currents, It would suggest that they flow directly into (for the transit lane) and out of (for the Emergence lane) the wormhole. Ships in the lanes are under no power and if there were strong cross currents, it would make staying in the lane difficult, and reverse currents would force you either away from the terminus (for the entry point), or suck you back in (for the emergence point). Instead, the experience is described as a "steady" glide at a low speed. I don't know how that is simultaneously possible with turbulent grav forces... but that is what has been described to date.

That is pretty much what I was thinking, that the direction of the currents are appropriate to the entry and exit lanes. I also imagine the particular direction of the flow aids in determining the entry and exit "points" during the initial survey.

At any rate, my interest goes back to this thread's original hypothesis. If using the backside of the WHJ as a wall to hide "behind" is feasible, and launching thru the junction is possible from negative vectors, then the direction of the turbulence may actually assist enemy missiles. Akin to Salmon taking a break and traveling "downstream" for a change.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:38 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
At any rate, my interest goes back to this thread's original hypothesis. If using the backside of the WHJ as a wall to hide "behind" is feasible, and launching thru the junction is possible from negative vectors, then the direction of the turbulence may actually assist enemy missiles. Akin to Salmon taking a break and traveling "downstream" for a change.

And I'm going to point out AGAIN that the wormhole does not exist in n-space - it is a hyperspace "construct" that requires a hyper generator to engage with. It's only sign of existence in N-space is the grav turbulance - grav turbulance which only appears to be severe immediately AFTER the wormhole is engaged, not all the time. There is nothing blocking line of site in n-space.

In addition there are multiple forts spread around the terminus area which could see "the back side" of the terminus. Even the forts which guard each of the emergence lanes are slightly more than 500,000 KM back from a >10 KM target - the wormhole wouldn't block their line of site even if it could.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse