Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Post election musings

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Post election musings
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2736
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Senior Chief wrote:I believe it was Simon Cameron that stated, ”An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought.” Which to me pretty much describes the whole of the democratic party and all the rhino’s and every elected official in Washington DC and in all the state capitals. IMHO To me the last really honest president we have had was President Truman. I am neither registered as either a D or R despising both groups who divide the country with hostile comments and hypocrisy.


You're really still going to try to stick with "both sides are bad" false equivalencies after the leader of the GOP just tried to incite a coup?

I mean... really? We're way past "both sides are bad" games here. The GOP frankly needs to be burned to the ground and the earth salted before a new second party is constructed from the ground up to serve as an opposition party to the Dems at this point.

95% of their house members just refused to take the position that inciting an insurrection was an impeachable offense as long as a Republican president was the one doing it FFS. They're beyond redemption.
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

A chap named Michael Beller has very been fired? Released? from PBS within the last day for being recorded suggesting that government programs might be required to help children adjust to a non-Trump presidency.

Given that Beller was rather negative about the outgoing President during the video, how long before PBS finds itself being targeted for what could* be seen as a pro-Trump move?

*I personally think that he went beyond the bounds of responsible behavior, but I refuse to take sides on this issue as I am not American.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by The E   » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

Michael Everett wrote:A chap named Michael Beller has very been fired? Released? from PBS within the last day for being recorded suggesting that government programs might be required to help children adjust to a non-Trump presidency.


His comments were quite a bit stronger than that, and while I absolutely detest Project Veritas and their methods, PBS distancing themselves from such a person in order to maintain the appearance of impartiality is if not justified then at least understandable given the insanity that is US politics.

At any rate, this is just the so-called "cancel culture" in action, but since it's not a conservative being cancelled, the usual people who would bemoan something like that are unusually silent about it all....
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:43 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3218
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Looking on from a distance I am confused by your logic.
It appears to be a clear case of Trump inciting violence and an inept coup against the democratically elected government. Don't forget that it is still his own government at this time.
Thus how can any of the "whole of the democratic party and all the rhino’s and every elected official in Washington DC and in all the state capitals" hold any responsibility? None of them were responsible for this debacle.
Purely Trump initially, then following on anyone who thought that this was the right thing to do.
In developed countries, with a Rule of Law, it is an offence to even discuss the violent overthrow of your government, let alone incite it.
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Daryl wrote:Looking on from a distance I am confused by your logic.
It appears to be a clear case of Trump inciting violence and an inept coup against the democratically elected government. Don't forget that it is still his own government at this time.
Thus how can any of the "whole of the democratic party and all the rhino’s and every elected official in Washington DC and in all the state capitals" hold any responsibility? None of them were responsible for this debacle.
Purely Trump initially, then following on anyone who thought that this was the right thing to do.
In developed countries, with a Rule of Law, it is an offence to even discuss the violent overthrow of your government, let alone incite it.


I am assuming that Senior Chief would not have participated in the riot. But as a Trump supporter he is probably feeling a bit shell shocked. His attempt to spread the blame around reflects that. I don't think his take on things is realistic. The venom has been building up on the extreme right for years. But still, his take is understandable, given what happened.

I am still shell shocked, by the way. But what I want is accountability where responsibility is placed where it really belongs. The proper place for determining that is a court of law.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3094
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Call me a negative Nancy if you like, but somehow I doubt Trump is going to release his health care plan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by The E   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

Annachie wrote:Call me a negative Nancy if you like, but somehow I doubt Trump is going to release his health care plan.


Mexico hasn't paid for the wall either.
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:44 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Just Two more days...less than 48 hours and it will be over. Cleanup can begin...


Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3094
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Hmmm.

80+ people facing federal charges over the insurrection, 100+ pardons expected in the next 40 hours.

What's the bet?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Post election musings
Post by ZVar   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Annachie wrote:Hmmm.

80+ people facing federal charges over the insurrection, 100+ pardons expected in the next 40 hours.

What's the bet?


I'll take that bet. Trump so far has not pardoned anyone that went to jail for him yet, so why would he start now?
Top

Return to Politics