Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

David status update (EDIT: Webers recovering from COVID)

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: David status update (EDIT: Webers recovering from COVID)
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Posted about 7 hours ago

David Weber facebook post wrote:BP is under control pretty much completely now. Still watching for possible clotting issues, but that’s only a general precaution at this point. We’re doing fairly gentle in-room therapy, and the lungs are mostly clear now, but O2 absorption is still lagging. Got me up to the level where they want me, but it’s still taking 6 liters of pressure to keep it there. So we work to bring that down on a day by day basis.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Posted about 15 minutes ago

David Weber facebook post wrote:So my therapist and my doc just finished fussing at me for doing too much walking (and walking the last 20 steps or so without my O2). Had the cannula on the bridge of my nose in case I needed it, but not pumping up my nose. Was fine.
Now, yesterday they had me up walking (supervised), and I understood them to say it would be good to do more of it on my own. That was, however, before I kind of grayed out before the therapist left. At that point, she decided unsupervised walking would be a bad idea, but I didn’t get the memo. And, uh, she never did suggest that deciding to take the O2 off would be a good idea.
Anyway, she came in just before lunch and I told her what I’d done, at which point SHE told ME that I’d been ... unwise. She didn’t exactly yell at me. In fact she said patients who work hard are good. As long as they’re not stupid about it. (Actually, she said “unwise,” but I think she MEANT stupid.)
And then she ratted me out to the doc, who had pretty much the same conversation with me. Last night was hugely better on the CPAP and I FEEL much, much better. BP is where they want it, temp is good, and actual breathing is pretty good unless I’m trying to talk. But he says the lung absorption is still lagging clinically. On the other hand, they have the pressure down to 3 liters right now with the O2 level at about 94. Little bit of a headache and still breathing hard if I talk, but otherwise good!
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:48 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

OMG!

I hope you and your family get better! Keeping my thumbs pressed.* EDIT: I've been corrected by someone on this forums and am supposed to write: crossing my fingers. Thank you.

Please be careful and not be overly ambitious too soon.
Last edited by Bruno Behrends on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by kzt   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Sounds good. High oxygen levels for extended periods can cause pulmonary oxygen toxicity, which makes hard to breath. So getting off high flow oxygen is important. Low flow supplemental oxygen is common and people can use it essentially forever if needed, but hopefully that won’t be the case.
Post by Peter2   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Donnachaidh wrote:Posted about 15 minutes ago

David Weber facebook post wrote:So my therapist and my doc just finished fussing at me for doing too much walking (and walking the last 20 steps or so without my O2). Had the cannula on the bridge of my nose in case I needed it, but not pumping up my nose. Was fine.
Now, yesterday they had me up walking (supervised), and I understood them to say it would be good to do more of it on my own. That was, however, before I kind of grayed out before the therapist left. At that point, she decided unsupervised walking would be a bad idea, but I didn’t get the memo. And, uh, she never did suggest that deciding to take the O2 off would be a good idea.
Anyway, she came in just before lunch and I told her what I’d done, at which point SHE told ME that I’d been ... unwise. She didn’t exactly yell at me. In fact she said patients who work hard are good. As long as they’re not stupid about it. (Actually, she said “unwise,” but I think she MEANT stupid.)
And then she ratted me out to the doc, who had pretty much the same conversation with me. Last night was hugely better on the CPAP and I FEEL much, much better. BP is where they want it, temp is good, and actual breathing is pretty good unless I’m trying to talk. But he says the lung absorption is still lagging clinically. On the other hand, they have the pressure down to 3 liters right now with the O2 level at about 94. Little bit of a headache and still breathing hard if I talk, but otherwise good!

Been there, done that . . .

I was in hospital for a moderately serious operation some years ago. I came out, had two months recuperation, and thought I was fit enough to go back to work one Monday morning. I had go back home again two days later – metphorically I was on my knees. I saw the consultant later in the week, and I don't think I have ever been told so politely not to be such a b****y idiot :o
Post by Donnachaidh   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Posted about 4 hours ago

David Weber facebook post wrote:Not letting me go today. Maybe Saturday. They say they’re happy with the improvement, but the damage was pretty bad and they expect progress to be very much day-by-day. Can’t quite pass the therapists’ little 6-minute hike breathing test yet. So, like I say, maybe tomorrow.
Sigh.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:24 am

Dilandu
Admiral

RFC is back home!

https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.56 ... 40?__cft__[0]=AZXGE5WF5usEXuK_cppHGHWoe4SJjgHrByivzEJ3N27Wx8Llben1cCYQUOj4SBnsIh_xSdy3odPFYkGhlev95Nm8fJ_3ZeoFLEnSXFiGRWXWNCz3pWjVUkDWTHVNoGkH9Hk&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

As I said before, I can’t possibly thank so many wonderful people for so many wonderful, loving, and supportive thoughts and comments. It was a very unpleasant nine days, especially the first three or four. Didn’t look all that good there, for the first couple. But I had great nurses, I had great doctors, and I knew there were a lot of people out there rooting for us. That matters. It matters a lot.
I’m home, I’m not on oxygen, they don’t feel it’s necessary to schedule in-home nursing visits. They say I need to take it easy for the next 1 – 10 days, which I intend to do. (And not JUST because Sharon would beat me if I don’t.) And it’s probably going to be a little longer than tha, before my voice and the voice recognition software start communicating with one another very well.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Cartref   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

A colleague of mine on another Forum was hit by COVID-19 pretty badly and was hospitalised for quiet a while.

When he was discharged he was very weak and he told us that he had taken over 1/2 an hour just to type two paragraphs in a post to that forum.

He has almost fully recovered now, but it took him quite a while.

It might be that it will take David some time before he can undertake any serious or sustained writing, whether by dictation or manual typing, so we need to bear that in mind with his schedules.

If people would like to try another FaceBook page for information on the Honor Harrington Universe they can try this site, its the Official Honor Harrington page and its very active. Its where I found out about David & Sharon being sick:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TRMN.ORG

Cheers & beers
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:59 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:RFC is back home!

https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/ SNIP

As I said before, I can’t possibly thank so many wonderful people for so many wonderful, loving, and supportive thoughts and comments. It was a very unpleasant nine days, especially the first three or four. Didn’t look all that good there, for the first couple. But I had great nurses, I had great doctors, and I knew there were a lot of people out there rooting for us. That matters. It matters a lot.
I’m home, I’m not on oxygen, they don’t feel it’s necessary to schedule in-home nursing visits. They say I need to take it easy for the next 1 – 10 days, which I intend to do. (And not JUST because Sharon would beat me if I don’t.) And it’s probably going to be a little longer than tha, before my voice and the voice recognition software start communicating with one another very well.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Really good news - v best wishes to the Webers!!

as they don't say in the Honorverse 'Live long and prosper'!!!
:D
Post by mhicks   » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

RFC, Please take your time to get over this. Covid is super nasty and we are still learning more about it and the damage it can do to our bodies. Glad to hear you are on the mends but please take it slow. I can wait for more of the stories. I would rather have you still around to tell them.

Return to David's Dimension