Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Jim Butcher - Honorverse Novel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Jim Butcher - Honorverse Novel
Post by Minotaur   » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Minotaur
Midshipman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nYvuRDxpE

Jim Butcher was just on this Youtuber's channel and was asked which author's series would you most like to write in and he said again the HonorVerse and he has a Marine Novel idea.

He has said this before and they have met so how do we get this to happen?
Re: Jim Butcher - Honorverse Novel
Post by kzt   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Minotaur wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nYvuRDxpE

Jim Butcher was just on this Youtuber's channel and was asked which author's series would you most like to write in and he said again the HonorVerse and he has a Marine Novel idea.

He has said this before and they have met so how do we get this to happen?

I suspect that Baen is not going to be too upset about having a NYT bestselling author writing books with her most profitable author. Someone once described a collaboration novel as being about 120% more work from each author than writing it solo, and David has a lot of works in progress. So we’ll see.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Not having ready much more of Jim Butcher then his Harry Dresden series, I'm not sure what to make of that. He did once us a fairly large dereltict satellite to take out a mini-empire of vanpires in a Sourth American (or was that Central American) country. The right nudge on something big in orbit can have spectacular results. :)
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Brigade XO wrote:Not having ready much more of Jim Butcher then his Harry Dresden series, I'm not sure what to make of that. He did once us a fairly large dereltict satellite to take out a mini-empire of vanpires in a Sourth American (or was that Central American) country. The right nudge on something big in orbit can have spectacular results. :)

Butcher's Codex Alera series is almost as good as Dresden. He wrote it based on an argument he was having with another author. The discussion was basically: Can a story based on a terrible idea but well-written still be good, or does a good idea make for a good story, even if the writing isn't that great. Jim fell into the former, and told the other guy to give him TWO bad ideas, and he'd write a good story.

The two bad ideas? The lost Roman Legion, and Pokemon. Codex Alera is the result of that "bet".

Also, his new series, The Cinder Spires, is off to a good start with the first book being The Aeronaut's Windlass, and the second one in the process of being written. Very much a steampunk kind of story, so far.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:30 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Many things go towards being a great author. Having the technical skills of literacy, a good imagination, intelligent enough to be convincing and consistent, but for me the most important is to be a born story teller who just drags you into their world.
Obviously David Weber has this, but others for me include; Jim Butcher, Eric Flint, Harry Turtledove, Taylor Anderson, John Ringo, Steve Stirling, Elizabeth Noon, Elizabeth Bear, and there are quite a few others.
Just as I have reread David's account of the lone Roland taking on a Sollie task force many times, I have also reread Jim Butcher's starting chapter of a Harry Dresden book many times. Where Harry is escaping from a large burning sports complex, carrying a box full of Tibetan Temple Mastiff puppies, while dodging flaming fireballs of magical gorilla crap being thrown at him by a 15 foot tall demonic gorilla.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Daryl wrote:I have also reread Jim Butcher's starting chapter of a Harry Dresden book many times. Where Harry is escaping from a large burning sports complex, carrying a box full of Tibetan Temple Mastiff puppies, while dodging flaming fireballs of magical gorilla crap being thrown at him by a 15 foot tall demonic gorilla.

One of the best opening lines to any book, ever: "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." :lol:
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:43 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:One of the best opening lines to any book, ever: "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." :lol:

I'm more partial to "Eleventy-pne."
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:Not having ready much more of Jim Butcher then his Harry Dresden series, I'm not sure what to make of that. He did once us a fairly large dereltict satellite to take out a mini-empire of vanpires in a Sourth American (or was that Central American) country. The right nudge on something big in orbit can have spectacular results. :)

Butcher's Codex Alera series is almost as good as Dresden. He wrote it based on an argument he was having with another author. The discussion was basically: Can a story based on a terrible idea but well-written still be good, or does a good idea make for a good story, even if the writing isn't that great. Jim fell into the former, and told the other guy to give him TWO bad ideas, and he'd write a good story.

The two bad ideas? The lost Roman Legion, and Pokemon. Codex Alera is the result of that "bet".

Also, his new series, The Cinder Spires, is off to a good start with the first book being The Aeronaut's Windlass, and the second one in the process of being written. Very much a steampunk kind of story, so far.

I have picked up the 1st book of Codex Alera and have been reading it. Thank you. Pure Butcher
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:29 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I would love to see Jim Butcher dip into Honorverse he is such a great author, his stuff is so much fun. I am so glad he is writing again, he took a few year break for some personal issues. And wow the Dresden Files returned with a vengeance.

Codex Alera is really good as well, the first and second book can be kind of deceiving on where the series is going.

Return to Honorverse