Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Emily's second child

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Emily's second child
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:22 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Emily had a chance to tube her second child. She also knew she had very limited time. I am curious as to just how .....designed her second child will be.

I suspect that child will have traits from all three parents. If that process was conducted by the scion of the Benton-Ramierez y Chou dynasty of geneticists, the resultant child could be almost any combination of traits available to Emily during her twilight.

What sort of child could she have wanted to leave her beloved spouses under those conditions? I know where my imagination takes me. I do want to know where others go considering this question.
Re: Emily's second child
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:51 am

Peregrinator
Commander

PeterZ wrote:Emily had a chance to tube her second child. She also knew she had very limited time. I am curious as to just how .....designed her second child will be.

I suspect that child will have traits from all three parents. If that process was conducted by the scion of the Benton-Ramierez y Chou dynasty of geneticists, the resultant child could be almost any combination of traits available to Emily during her twilight.

What sort of child could she have wanted to leave her beloved spouses under those conditions? I know where my imagination takes me. I do want to know where others go considering this question.

I do not think the child will be "designed" and I don't think she would have used Honor's genetic material without permission (that's just a guess as maybe she has a civil right to use it since they are legally married to one another). My hunch is that something unusual will happen from Honor carrying the child in her womb.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Emily had a chance to tube her second child. She also knew she had very limited time. I am curious as to just how .....designed her second child will be.

I do not think the child will be "designed" and I don't think she would have used Honor's genetic material without permission (that's just a guess as maybe she has a civil right to use it since they are legally married to one another). My hunch is that something unusual will happen from Honor carrying the child in her womb.

Consider that Alison guaranteed Emily a child that would regenerate. But neither she nor Honor can. I'm not a geneticist, but I'd hazard a guess that mixing Honor's DNA into the mix would have made it more difficult for Alison to guarantee anything.

It is interesting what legal grounds Honor and Emily had to stand on.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:32 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It is interesting what legal grounds Honor and Emily had to stand on.

What would they need a legal defence for?
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I guess I missed something. Emily's 2nd child? Did she lose her first?

As to correcting for to make sure the child will be able to use regeneration treatments, Alison should be able to "adjust" for that. The actual key to a legal question is wether or not the DNA invovled was that of Hamish and Emily without a contribution from another party (not genegeneering to avoid rejecting regeneration, which is "only" medical correction.
Honor is talking about being a surogate mother to carry the child to term, not be it's biological mother.....and it is quite possible that given Beowulf level genetics that you can have a child of two men or two women....but for Hamish to have an heir of his body by Emily they probably would want to leave out actual genetic contributions (medicaly induced) from Honor.

Not saying there wouldn't be any if you have ever seen any of the discussion of the Chimera condition in it's several forms, really rare but quite anoying if it impacts your DNA testing. Most Chimera problems are related to organ or bone marrow transplats or but someone as good as Alison should be able to avoid that and keep everything withing the Beowulf Code.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:I guess I missed something. Emily's 2nd child? Did she lose her first?

No, that first was Katherine, Raoul's younger sibling by a few months, so the second child of the Honor-Hamish-Emily marriage. Emily's second is the trio's third.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 am

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I guess I missed something. Emily's 2nd child? Did she lose her first?

No, that first was Katherine, Raoul's younger sibling by a few months, so the second child of the Honor-Hamish-Emily marriage. Emily's second is the trio's third.

I expect Honor will have a second of her own, to be the "spare" for her Duchy and Steading.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:It is interesting what legal grounds Honor and Emily had to stand on.

What would they need a legal defence for?

It was simply meant to fall just shy of a "throwaway gesture." Inasmuch as in the unlikely event Honor would demand to have her DNA as part of the soup. And the unlikely, but quite possible, event Emily would dissent.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No, that first was Katherine, Raoul's younger sibling by a few months, so the second child of the Honor-Hamish-Emily marriage. Emily's second is the trio's third.

Fox2! wrote:I expect Honor will have a second of her own, to be the "spare" for her Duchy and Steading.

There already are two spares, she doesn't need a third spare for that, not to mention her sister and brother. She may want another child of her own genetics, but that's a simple want.

She also doesn't need to do it now. Honor and Faith are separated by 50 T-years, so Honor could have another child later too.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Thank you.

Katherine and her twin are Honor's sibs and now 2nd and 3rd respectivly in-line for the Steadholdership after Raoul (who is a child of her body)

Emily's child (with Hamish even if it invert) is NOT inline for the Steadholdreship.....that child would be an heir to Hamish's title but very unlikely to ever even come up in conversation as being so as it will not in any direct way in the bloodline of Honor as the Steadholder.

That Raoul is both the 1st child of Hamish and of Hamish and Honor does put him in like for the Alexander title as well as Steadholder but I expect that- presuming the Alexander title passes to either sex.
Raoul will be more than occupied as the future Steadholder and the child of Hamish and Emily (even if Honor is surrogate mother in the biological sence but not actual biological parent) and it would depend a great deal on what Hamish & Honor decide and possibly depend on Raoul eventualy renounces the claim to the Alexander title.
We would need much more on Manticorian Law and questions of succession to make that judgement. Just one more set of complications for various politicians to get their underware in a twist about. :)

Return to Honorverse